spellings on EBAY

Started by Highland Handlebar, April 26, 2018, 09:09:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highland Handlebar

I love some of the speelin masticks on ebay. Last weekend I was looking at a rake of Farish coaches one of which was advertised as a BR/SR Green "restraint" car! well!! all I can say is that they get up to more things in Haywards Heath than I Imagined!

Snowwolflair

Quote from: Highland Handlebar on April 26, 2018, 09:09:10 PM
I love some of the speelin masticks on ebay. Last weekend I was looking at a rake of Farish coaches one of which was advertised as a BR/SR Green "restraint" car! well!! all I can say is that they get up to more things in Haywards Heath than I Imagined!

They were used on the football specials. :D

Newportnobby

I think the ITV news at 18.30hrs tonight beat that by putting up a notice that TSB had waved interest as a small compensation for all the trouble they have caused.
Sorry, but edyoucayshunul standards are going down the toylette ::)

Snowwolflair

Or Planet Rock yesterday

"The M25 is at a standstill just outside London" :doh:

njee20

It's definitely not just eBay, I agree that most people's standard of written Inglish is very pore.

Loosing. Should of. You're/your or there/their/they're confusion. Hangable offences!

dannyboy

Totally agree with the above. Why people can not write "They're having their tea over there" and know the difference between the spellings, is beyond me!  Whilst I do abbreviate words, e.g. isn't, I usually only do it when writing informally, like wot I do on 'ere  :). If I am writing something 'proper' I like to write the words out correctly. Down to my upbringing I suppose and what I like to think of as being educated correctly. So are we blaming teaching standards these days? But that is another topic.  ;D
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Newportnobby

I think it's vastly different on a forum as we are all mainly unaware of what other people suffer from e.g. dyslexia but, I'm sorry, there is no excuse for a national TV station to spell things incorrectly. Poor English abounds nowadays with far too much use of 'gunna' instead of 'going to', 'to' has become 'tuh' and if the following word begins with a vowel then the whole thing becomes mangled!
Don't even get me started on those who use 'like' every other word or began every sentence with 'So....'
(pretentious prats)

Highland Handlebar

Variety being the spice of life, I have purchased items which are N guage, N gouge, and N gorge and many break second couches

Zogbert Splod

Quote from: Newportnobby on April 26, 2018, 10:26:40 PM
I think it's vastly different on a forum as we are all mainly unaware of what other people suffer from e.g. dyslexia but, I'm sorry, there is no excuse for a national TV station to spell things incorrectly. Poor English abounds nowadays with far too much use of 'gunna' instead of 'going to', 'to' has become 'tuh' and if the following word begins with a vowel then the whole thing becomes mangled!
Don't even get me started on those who use 'like' every other word or began every sentence with 'So....'
(pretentious prats)
My daughters both live in Texas, as I did for many years.  I cringe when we talk and I hear "I'ma do that!" - even the 'gunna' has been dropped!
I also have a problem with those who say "um" or "em" between every pair of words.

So - that's, em, enough from, um, me for, eh, now.  Cheri, um, o...
"When in trouble, when in doubt, run (trains) in circles..." etc.
There, doesn't that feel better? 
Lovely!

Planning thread:
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=25873.0

My website: Zog Trains

Run what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law
I may appear to be listening to you, but inside my head, I'm playing with my trains.

trkilliman

Most of my last decade of working was spent in two colleges. Whilst my students were not particularly academic, I was taken aback at their lack of basic grammer. There does appear to be high levels of dyslexia these days, and the larger college I worked at had two full time dyslexia advisors. I attended a lecture for staff on dyslexia given by a Dr Stein from an Oxford University. Whilst introducing himself he said "some of you may have heard of my younger brother, he has a few fish restaurants"

My jaw dropped when we had to take a whole class to the college library and explain to them how it functioned. Crikey, as soon as I was five years old my late Father took me to the local library and arranged Junior tickets for me. I have use libraries ever since, although they are becoming a tad difficult to find due to closures by local authorities.

I also recall when a class of students on an engineering course were asked to find two online articles on a famous engineer of their choice. The task was to type up their own article on the engineer, merging the the text of the two online articles without copying word for word. This proved to be quite difficult for many of them, and punctuation was all but missing in several cases.

Times have certainly changed, and yes it can be witnessed in many ebay ad's.

I am far from perfect, and sometimes I go back to edit posts. Indeed there may be errors within this post.

Those of us in our 60s will likely have spent a lot of school time writing out stories, passages of text and composing text for our personal interest projects. All of this enhanced word recognition, and mistakes were (in my case) corrected in red biro as the teacher read it through. I suppose that I will be showing my age if I say "things aren't what they used to be"

Newportnobby

If you'll pardon me being a teacher.................

Quote from: trkilliman on April 27, 2018, 07:14:57 AM
Whilst my students were not particularly academic, I was taken aback at their lack of basic grammer.

Those of us in our 60s will likely have spent a lot of school time writing out stories, passages of text and composing text for our personal interest projects. All of this enhanced word recognition, and mistakes were (in my case) corrected in red biro as the teacher read it through. I suppose that I will be showing my age if I say "things aren't what they used to be"

Grammar

trkilliman

No problem Newportnobby...top of the class and a gold star for you.

I wondered how long it would take for it to be picked up...I have also put another one in.

Newportnobby

"merging the the texts"? One too many 'the's

"ad's"? No requirement for an apostrophe :no:

Malc

Ad's - that well known punctuation mark, the grocers' apostrophe.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

dannyboy

Quote from: Newportnobby on April 27, 2018, 10:07:02 AM

"ad's"? No requirement for an apostrophe :no:

I know we have had this discussion previously on the forum and I do not intend this comment to be a resurrection of the topic, but I was always told that when letters were missing from a word, an apostrophe was to be used.  As @trkilliman says - "things aren't what they used to be".  ;)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations