what are people doing on their layout right now

Started by B1 61126, August 16, 2011, 07:59:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrism

I've started ballasting Broughton now. Over the last few days I've done the point rodding, level crossing, porters' crossing and barrow crossing decks, plus infilled the larger areas of ground between the tracks with a layer of card sprinkled with the ballast material (chinchilla bathing dust) ready for the dry ballasting to be (hopefully) nicely blended with the edges to give a fairly flat, level, continuous texture surface.
I did the first couple of sections of dry ballasting this morning and treated them with the dilute PVA - looking pretty reasonable but I ain't prodding it too hard until it's had plenty of time to set.

OffshoreAlan

Sorting out wiring for Cab Control (DC of course, 2 controllers, 4 cabs). It took me months to grasp the principle, but then when it clicked it all seemed so simple - my "learning" ability seems to have atrophied with age. I've got UP and DOWN cabs working, now addressing sidings and fiddle yard.

springwood

Quote from: OffshoreAlan on April 06, 2020, 04:33:06 PM
Sorting out wiring for Cab Control (DC of course, 2 controllers, 4 cabs).

Hi OffshoreAlan, immediately interested to see you are creating 4 cabs (with 2 controllers) on dc wiring...exactly what I have set up on my debut layout (Springwood - see other threads). Briefly, my layout roughly splits into UP and DOWN mainlines, a branch line and a TMD. No one cab is 'dedicated' to a particular section/block of the layout, as I have 4 rotary switches, one for each section. In theory, Cab1 can run a train in any of the 4 sections and ditto the other 3 cabs, but I do have on/off master switches governing the final output to the track to prevent one cab inadvertantly trying to take control of the same section. Works fine - happy to discuss further with you!

Newportnobby

Having replaced those 2 points it was time for some playing testing so, as the Schools and Fairburn hadn't been run for some time...............
(Sorry about the dust sheet in the way but it does its job. You can see the new curved points in the foreground towards the end of the vid. Schools out for, erm, spring :D)

Testing points 7.4.20 by Mick Hollyoake, on Flickr

crewearpley40

Looking good mick. You Certainly know how to keep the fans entertained

tutenkhamunsleeping

Quote from: Newportnobby on April 07, 2020, 01:16:29 PM
Sorry about the dust sheet in the way but it does its job.

Rubber undies and a see-through top :uneasy:

dannyboy

Is the above in the correct thread?  ??? What has rubber undies and a see-through top got to do with the subject? (Or are you another @Newportnobby thinking of a certain lady @tutenkhamunsleeping ?). Then I can understand it.  :smiley-laughing:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Newportnobby

Quote from: dannyboy on April 07, 2020, 03:30:50 PM
Is the above in the correct thread?  ??? What has rubber undies and a see-through top got to do with the subject? (Or are you another @Newportnobby thinking of a certain lady @tutenkhamunsleeping ?). Then I can understand it.  :smiley-laughing:

I think it's a statement from Steve as to what he's wearing while he sorts his track :sick2:

dannyboy

David.

tutenkhamunsleeping

dannyboy

David.

texhorse

We are living in interesting times!!!!!   :laughabovepost:

Andy
UK
Montrose and Highland Railroad
"Gotta Keep Movin' On!"

Philip.

managed to get hold of some Seafoam, so it's trees for the forseable future  :D

Ted

Fighting a tiny signal box, that I've heavily modified from the regular size down by approx a third to match the Shirebrook station box.

The interior is ridiculously tiny, but slowly getting there. I've created a little jig (front of shot) to help me glue in and align each signal lever.

I need longer pins on my LED bulb though (I'm creating a diffuser and shade, to stop light leaking out of any cracks etc).

Just call me Ted, or Edward... or Ed.

Just not Eddie.

Layout & Updates > Midlands Coal & Freight, Late 1980's

Alan Kyte

In the tiny window of opportunity (whilst my 2 year old sleeps)..

Installing street lighting.

www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view&id=90764][/url]

Slapping down the last of the Sculptamold

Sanding down what will eventually be a small refuelling depot for the DMU.

Returnee to Model Railways after 38 years, last time I was 10 and OO Gauge, now 48 and N gauge.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations