What does Xmas mean to you?

Started by Tdm, December 09, 2015, 05:34:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerry Howlett

Quote from: MalcolmAL on December 10, 2015, 04:27:11 PM
:laughabovepost:
Sounds more like biological warfare ?
I hope it is 1cwt mixed and not 1cwt sprouts else all of europe will be off to Sy elswhere !

1/2 hr ago I put a Guinea Fowl in the oven, but that will be long gone afore Xmas. Infact I expect it will all be gone in a couple or 3 hrs except the bones which will be in a stock tomorrow.
Yummy.

No chance of Guinea Fowl, since the introduction of the Euro the Italians have been unable to create a suitable currency conversion to allow this bird to be sold in shops.  The 2700 Lira bird was hard enough to source but due to budgie cuts it is sadly no more.

Too much chianti today....
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

Newportnobby

Quote from: Jerry Howlett on December 12, 2015, 02:25:00 PM
Sounds more like biological warfare ?
I hope it is 1cwt mixed and not 1cwt sprouts else all of europe will be off to Sy elswhere !

1/2 hr ago I put a Guinea Fowl in the oven, but that will be long gone afore Xmas. Infact I expect it will all be gone in a couple or 3 hrs except the bones which will be in a stock tomorrow.
Yummy.

No chance of Guinea Fowl, since the introduction of the Euro the Italians have been unable to create a suitable currency conversion to allow this bird to be sold in shops.  The 2700 Lira bird was hard enough to source but due to budgie cuts it is sadly no more.

Instead of a turkey, how about a Norwegian Blue Parrot? Beautiful plumage, so I'm told :-X

Tdm

As I started this thread, thought it about time I made another post on it.

What's that saying about "...the best laid plans..."

I intended getting into the spirit of Xmas yesterday (my birthday), but in the afternoon was taken ill and had to retire to my bed, and didn't get up again until this morning. Seems some of the recent arrivals here in Tenerife have brought a "bug" with them (a stomach bug) and one of them had kindly passed it on to me!

As my wife had invited numerous friends round this morning to help wrap Xmas presents that will be given out to children on site on Xmas day, it was better that I got up and left, so went for a game of snooker but had nothing alcoholic to drink (as stomach was still a bit "iffy") then returned home to pick up the misses to meet with Forum member "colpatben" for the 1st time who with his wife is on holiday here in Tenerife.

Unfortunately when I got home the misses had now got the "bug" herself so she took herself to bed, and I went in the Stag to meet with Colin and Patsy on my own.

!st time I have met with another member of this Forum, and a really nice couple they are (they are from the Bexhill in Kent area), and we had a nice long chat about all sorts of things and not just about model railways.

After a few hours I took my leave to check back on my wife, but she is still feeling unwell.
Not a good start to the Xmas period, but hopefully things will only get better.

marco neri

:hellosign:
To an agnostic like me..it does mean not much, but I did help the same my wife and my daughter to decorate the house, the Christmas tree and staging the italian classic Presepe.....but mainly does mean meeting my parents , tablewares full of italian christmas specialties and glasses full of many kinds of wine...Chianti, Sagrantino, Sangiovese..ecc ecc.

Cheers.

Marco
:NGaugersRule:
...never turn you back on the ripper (judas priest)

MalcolmInN

Quote from: Jerry Howlett on December 12, 2015, 02:25:00 PM
1/2 hr ago I put a Guinea Fowl in the oven,

:laughabovepost:  :(
Are all Italians currently on Chianti ? :) is that why their mathematical abilities have deserted them ? :D I'll remember that when we get to vote, out =continued supply of Guinea Fowl,,,, that should sway things !!! ( note to mods, that is an attempted jest not a political statement ;) )

Ummm, no idea what 2700L would have converted to but these 4 birds cost me £3.25 each(just over 1kg each) not a lot different from chicken . Two already eaten, the other two in the freezer will probably be used Boxing Day and/or New Year *
You could of course raise some yourself ? But your closer neighbours may not enjoy :) . They are as good as geese as noisy watchdogs but less agressive, they are more sensible than chicken in that they have the wit to climb trees when tremendous danger threatens. But I now find it less trouble just to go to the shops  ;D

* BACK TO TOPIC >> Xmas day means a quiet time, the rest of the family being off feasting with the families of their partners etc.
Boxing Day is more noisy :) and New Year is the greater indulgence.

Quote from: newportnobby on December 12, 2015, 04:16:53 PMhow about a Norwegian Blue Parrot? Beautiful plumage, so I'm told :-X
Shirly you mean an ex-NBP ?
(see earlier when Mike had a standinguppee turkey )

Branchie

New socks, new pants, other underwhelming presents and family arguments. The true meaning of Christmas.

Newportnobby

Quote from: MalcolmAL on December 13, 2015, 09:17:09 PM

Quote from: newportnobby on December 12, 2015, 04:16:53 PMhow about a Norwegian Blue Parrot? Beautiful plumage, so I'm told :-X
Shirly you mean an ex-NBP ?
(see earlier when Mike had a standinguppee turkey )

Oh no - it's just perching, Malcolm (yes, yes, I know, I'd nailed it to the perch ;D)

Quote from: MalcolmAL on December 13, 2015, 09:17:09 PM
they are more sensible than chicken in that they have the wit to climb trees when tremendous danger threatens.

That's no good when it comes to the time for the dinner pot! I'm damned if I'm climbing any trees with axe in hand. What would Elfin Safety say? :worried:

MalcolmInN

Quote from: newportnobby on December 13, 2015, 09:44:36 PMOh no - it's just perching, Malcolm (yes, yes, I know, I'd nailed it to the perch ;D)
, I'm damned if I'm climbing any trees with axe in hand. What would Elfin Safety say? :worried:
Creased with laughter !
Actually, first time round I thought they were complete twats of the first water, and that included Spike ( I know, I know, not PC these days not to appreciate him, ther's a novel inversion ?! )
Now I have to suffer the despair of my daughter when she finds me watching (and laughing) Fawlty,, rose-tinted in old age.
no no, you have it all wrong, no climbing required, (*#&$ :censored: elfin at our age) - - you make like a friend trickling mixed corn from your fingers then move quick (!), gosh did they teach you nothing at school  LOL !

MikeDunn

Quote from: MalcolmAL on December 13, 2015, 10:22:45 PM
then move quick
Well, there's NPN stuffed in that case !!!

(makes a change from the turkey  :-X)

Bealman

The thread is asking about Christmas.  :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Geoff

Quote from: Bealman on December 14, 2015, 09:19:30 AM

Now then someone told me they were going to cancel it....
Geoff

Agrippa

I lost the thread about 10 chickens ago............... :(
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

Bealman

Basil Fawlty surely would try to cancel Christmas, but let's stay focused here.  :thumbsup:

I think the OP intended to post in a positive vein, but the thread has wandered a fair bit.  :beers:

George

Don't  worry, Agrippa.... I've been trying to win Christmas leg hams in the local club raffle for a month now. May as well have bought one. ;)
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

paulprice

Mounting annoyance and the number of so-called celebrities clogging up all sorts of media to talk dribble about tat they are either trying to sell or appearing in, to pander to the every thickening intelligence of the average British numpty  >:D

MalcolmInN

And we are trying to be jovial, ho ho ho   :beers:

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £10.67
Below Goal: £89.33
Site Currency: GBP
 11%
May Donations