What does Xmas mean to you?

Started by Tdm, December 09, 2015, 05:34:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Morris

This is on my other railway - apologies for it not being the correct scale for this forum. I haven't tried it but I don't think you can run N gauge in real snow.

[smg id=32763 type=full align=center caption="xmas071"]

I do real ploughing as well. Apologies for going off topic as well as off scale!
[smg id=32765 type=preview align=center caption="DSC02918 (2)"]
Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

MikeDunn

We seem to be ahead of the game this year, for a change !

*  Christmas cards all posted on 1st December (or was it the day before, so people got them on the 1st ?  No matter !)
*  All presents for those other than SWMBO & myself bought, wrapped, and handed over
*  50% of the food shopping complete
*  "Special treats" hamper looks quite full !  Was empty last year until 22nd !

And to cap it all - the turkey just went into the oven to cook !   :laugh3:

Newportnobby

Quote from: MikeDunn on December 10, 2015, 10:38:25 AM

And to cap it all - the turkey just went into the oven to cook !   :laugh3:

At roughly 20 minutes per lb, are you sure SWMBO hasn't bought an ostrich? :goggleeyes:
Mind you, I've heard it takes a week just to eat one of the drumsticks :laugh:

MikeDunn

damn small ostrich then - it fit into a small bowl (albeit standing up  ::)) when carried into the kitchen after defrosting !

MalcolmInN

Quote from: MikeDunn on December 10, 2015, 10:38:25 AM
*  Christmas cards all posted on 1st December
the turkey just went into the oven to cook !   :laugh3:
NPN beat me to it,, then my internet crashed !
:laugh3:
I often do long slow roasts but that is stretching it a bit ?!

Two things about growing old and Xmas -
fewer cards to write
and no mother-in-law :(
We dont do turkey at Xmas cos we eat it quite often during the rest of the year, we usually have home grown (by daughter) goose, yummm.

MalcolmInN

Quote from: MikeDunn on December 10, 2015, 10:54:22 AM
standing up 
Will NPN beat me to this one as well I wonder

Mike, you are supposed to kill them first.  :smiley-laughing: :o

MikeDunn

Quote from: MalcolmAL on December 10, 2015, 11:08:06 AM
Mike, you are supposed to kill them first.  :smiley-laughing: :o
Oh, so that's why I'm pecked all over  :D

Nah, afraid you fell into my fiendish trap - where did I say it was the Christmas turkey ? :P

We went shopping the other night (see 3rd bullet above  ::)) & ended up with a free whole frozen turkey - seeing as we already have the Christmas turkey breast in the freezer (alongside a nice joint of beef from Hereford), this was just a 'spare' ... so we're cooking it now to make pies etc we can freeze, without having the beastie taking up a whole drawer in the freezer.  Talk about left-overs  :smiley-laughing:

MalcolmInN

Quote from: MikeDunn on December 10, 2015, 11:16:47 AMafraid you fell into my fiendish trap - where did I say it was the Christmas turkey ? :P
beef from Hereford

Nice one :) Actually I did suspect an elephant trap but thought it was going to be along the lines of the discussion about the real date and pagan festivals etc. !!

We did have Hereford (the breed) beef for Xmas for a few years, but daughter has stopped doing that, two much paperwork and testing and restrictions and stuff for a small hobby.

Newportnobby

Quote from: MikeDunn on December 10, 2015, 10:54:22 AM
damn small ostrich then - it fit into a small bowl (albeit standing up  ::)) when carried into the kitchen after defrosting !

Wouldn't you stand up so you could see over the rim of the bowl (note to fellow modellers - it is not hygienic to keep your turkey in the toilet :no:) to ascertain a heat source so you could get warm?

MikeDunn

Quote from: MalcolmAL on December 10, 2015, 11:23:38 AM
We did have Hereford (the breed)
This is both - Hereford beef from Hereford  :thumbsup:  Used the butchers in the Indoor Market too.  Can't get much more local than that !  It probably travelled further to get to our freezer  :D

Portpatrick

Indeed Karhedron.  The date of the celebration of Christ's birth in December was emerging by the 3rd century.  There are none in my own circles who have hangups about it either way.  so for me also it is a core faith event in the calendar.  And this year the privilege of preaching at the Christmas Eve Midnight Communion Service.  As well as handling the 2 following Sundays.

So for a greeting I will unashamedly draw from Tiny Tim in Charles Dickens seasonal novel

May God Bless Us All

Jerry Howlett

Completely messed up here.  The Brussel sprouts were put on a low simmer on the 1st of September as per usual, now we are christmassing in the UK we find ourselves with nearly 1 cwt of semi cooked  accompaniments and no idea what to do.
Luckily Mrs "H" overslept that day so the turkey will not be ready until January 6th.
Help !!
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

Jon898

I see your mistake.  Nothing this year should have started before November 22nd...Stir-up Sunday.

Unfortunately over here, the carols started in the stores on Labor Day (September 7th).

Newportnobby

Quote from: Jerry Howlett on December 10, 2015, 03:05:16 PM
Completely messed up here.  The Brussel sprouts were put on a low simmer on the 1st of September as per usual, now we are christmassing in the UK we find ourselves with nearly 1 cwt of semi cooked  accompaniments and no idea what to do.
Luckily Mrs "H" overslept that day so the turkey will not be ready until January 6th.
Help !!

I believe the RAF are in the market for cluster munitions, Jerry :-X

MalcolmInN

:laughabovepost:
Sounds more like biological warfare ?
I hope it is 1cwt mixed and not 1cwt sprouts else all of europe will be off to Sy elswhere !

1/2 hr ago I put a Guinea Fowl in the oven, but that will be long gone afore Xmas. Infact I expect it will all be gone in a couple or 3 hrs except the bones which will be in a stock tomorrow.
Yummy.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £10.67
Below Goal: £89.33
Site Currency: GBP
 11%
May Donations