Eastenders racist attack

Started by austinbob, June 25, 2015, 09:12:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

austinbob

OK folks...
I know not many people watch Eastenders cos they're too busy doing important and interesting stuff like running in locos and laying track etc. etc.
However, I have to admit that I occasionally watch the soaps while waiting for Dapol refunds!!
But - tonight - well before the 9:00pm watershed there was a racist attack on the beautiful Muslim Shabnam by several female teenagers who ripped her scarf off knocked her to the ground and kicked her.
Now if this is political content then I'm sure I will be severely reprimanded by the mods but how can the BBC justify this sort of content, especially with the current Muslim sensitivities.  What effect do you think this has on our teenage population - its ok to beat up Muslims!!!
I am appalled and I have made a complaint to OfCom - don't know if it will do any good but you have to try don't you.
What is the world coming too. Sooo!! upset.
:sorrysign:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

austinbob

Quote from: Only Me on June 25, 2015, 09:19:10 PM
I cant condone the attack in the fictional world of Enders... However she looked even fitter without the head gear. Maybe im just a perv ;)
I know what you mean. She is a looker. But portrayal of that sort of attack is not on is it? Ok this was fiction but a.lttle too close to the truth maybe.
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

austinbob

Quote from: Only Me on June 25, 2015, 09:34:04 PM
Its the norm is it not these days? Think of the reverse... Bloke turns up with rucksack and blows up the Vic... Its all stereotyping is it not?
I'm more worried about the effect it has on our youngsters who will think this sort of behaviour is the norm and will replicate it. I must say I'm disappointed with the response so far. :hmmm:

Bob Austin

Geoff

Bob I think you are right no need to show that on the tv before watershed, I know someone near me is not happy with what happened, it seems we are living in terrible times and if they think that is entertainment then they need to scrap the license fee, because I hate my money being put towards this kind of entertainment.
Geoff

MikeDunn

But that's what these shows do & you're just giving them the reaction they want - you're talking about it & will keep watching (mainly).

Look at the other shock storylines they've done ... same with Corrie ... and plenty of other examples.  When they show a murder you don't hear about a sudden rise in homicides - I think you guys are giving these shows far too much credit for influencing people.

Personally - I have better things to do than watch (in my opinion) rubbish ...  ::)

Newportnobby

I think Mike is right in that, in efforts to appear topical, the soaps try to outdo each other with sensationalist storylines/plots.
To my mind they concentrate more on trying to win the Annual Soap Awards than actually entertaining anyone.

red_death

I haven't seen the show but I don't see any reason why a popular soap shouldn't address difficult or shocking story lines. I doubt it was done to "normalise" attacks on muslims...

weave

Hi Bob,

I didn't see it but that sort of stuff goes on in the real world and maybe it might shock and therefore educate youngsters like it shocked you.

In my day Eastenders was wife beating, heroin addiction, murder etc. Shouldn't these things be addressed?

Anyway, all the kids are out in the park now drinking White Lightning so they probably didn't see it anyway!

Off to the Vic, I'll get my coat.

austinbob

Quote from: MikeDunn on June 25, 2015, 09:58:45 PM
But that's what these shows do & you're just giving them the reaction they want - you're talking about it & will keep watching (mainly).

Look at the other shock storylines they've done ... same with Corrie ... and plenty of other examples.  When they show a murder you don't hear about a sudden rise in homicides - I think you guys are giving these shows far too much credit for influencing people.

Personally - I have better things to do than watch (in my opinion) rubbish ...  ::)
I'm sorry I think you're wrong. Many of our youngsters hang on every word of our soap stars say. They are also very vulnerable to the perceived values put forward by the soaps
If they think it's ok to beat up Muslims then that's what they'll do.
This is a very dangerous situation in my opinion. I'm very disappointed that you don't see this as a serious issue.

Bob Austin

MalcolmInN

I am tempted to say "Eastenders", wots that !
I have never watched any of it but I suspect it follows in the long tradition of Public Information Broadcasting with a moral intent.
A long line that can be traced through Ambridge back to Dr. Finlay's Casebook (and probably beyond but I cant remember ;) )
in which 'matters of the day' were raised, by those who thought and commissioned, to the attention of the proletariat, sorry I mean the common person, I dont think we need to get too wound up about it ?
In the case of Dr Finlay it was usually matters of hygene and how to prepare raw fish.
>:D

scotsoft

I am sorry but I am locking this thread, more as a precaution, before anything kicks off.

As it has been written already, this is primarily a train forum and although other discussions are welcome it is best that some topics are left to forums dealing with those issues.

cheers John.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £100.23
Above Goal: £0.23
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
April Donations