Dapol Announcement- 18/7/12 0900 BST

Started by scruff, July 15, 2012, 09:22:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

K-N-Gauge

Quote from: gwrwill on July 18, 2012, 04:26:03 PM
oh happy days bring it on dapol my credit card is ready and waiting ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Your account balance is £0.00 :p lol
It was just my 21st and I got a load of money so I no what I'm buying :D

brbluewill

Quote from: K-N-Gauge on July 18, 2012, 04:56:07 PM
Quote from: gwrwill on July 18, 2012, 04:26:03 PM
oh happy days bring it on dapol my credit card is ready and waiting ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Your account balance is £0.00 :p lol
It was just my 21st and I got a load of money so I no what I'm buying :D

it will be soon enough ;D ;D ;D ;D
Where our songs are challenged we shall sing them all the louder!!!!!

Caz

Lots of goodies to buy, well done Dapol especially for the new 57xx and re-releasing the 14xx and auto coach, my staple diet.  Feel sorry for all those people who've paid fortunes on Ebay for the previous versions  :evil:   :smiley-laughing:

Caz
Caz
layout here
Claywell, High Hackton & Bampney Intro
Hackton info
Bampney info

Ollie3440

Right well my pre-order list has just increased!

I'll take a couple of panniers, a schools, a fleet of maunsells, a 59, many many wagons and most likely a 33 and a 50 or 3!

Ollie
Hi I'm Ollie, and I'm a addicted to buying MK1s......

My Previous Exhibition Layout - The Sheaf Valley Railway
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=24.0

My Current Exhibition Layout - Wenlock
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=23228.0

red_death

Quote from: Mr.Grumpy on July 18, 2012, 02:59:02 PM
I think that designing the shells and submitting to shapeways could be a false economy in the long run if I want to save for a 3D printer.

Personally I think for the moment submitting to a 3rd party printer is the only sensible way to do things if you want reasonable resolution and finish.  If the cost becomes prohibitive then print one or two and cast them in resin.  The resolution and finish of 3D printers will increase to a point, but the real problem for the hobbyist is the capital cost of the machine - you can still pay a fair chunk of money for something without the resolution. I have no doubt the printers will eventually drop to a reasonable price, it is just a question of what that timescale is!

In terms of scaling the model - I use Blender and use 1 blender unit = 1mm of the model dimension so say something is 10m long in real life then scale that down by 1:148 and it gives you 67.6mm (or 67.6 blender units).

Cheers, Mike

MinZaPint

Well I still can't believe it a SCHOOLS at last, I've tried pinching myself and it hurts so must be seeing right. I'm off to celebrate! before I have to start saving, 2 in Southern livery! a set of Maunsells and then there's the pannier, Oh my wallet!
Cogito Sumere potum alterum

Roy L S

Got to say a big announcement, loads of products in various scales including some right at the top of NGF's very own wish list.

The Pannier looks lovely and is clearly "on the boat". I suspect the people at Barwell will be less than happy with that announcement, but business is business I guess....

For me though, to be truthful, overall a bit of a disappointment, I had hoped that the most neglected of models, the LNER tank loco might have been included somewhere.

Even the releases of A3s carry names that are of no interest to me (I already have second "Lemberg" on the way to renumber to one more suitable for a Waverley Route layout).

So, my money is safe, seems though that I am very much a minority...

Roy

BernardTPM

Quote from: MinZaPint on July 18, 2012, 05:51:25 PM
Well I still can't believe it a SCHOOLS at last, I've tried pinching myself and it hurts so must be seeing right. I'm off to celebrate!
Not just the Schools, but also the coaches to go with it - and go with the Bullieds (both the Pacifics and the coaches announced by Farish). Indeed some of those coaches lasted for yonks as tool/riding vans for breakdown cranes.

bluedepot

i put on sky news, bbc news, al jazeera, russia today.... and nothing!!!!! what is wrong with the news media!!!!

tim

scruff

That's because all the real news is on :NGaugeForum:

;D

Mark

bluedepot

very impressive and ambitious announcements from dapol....

i may well end up buying a 33/1 and a 50... maybe some grampus wagons too... already got a mk3 buffet on order...

i wish dapol would scale down their 08 to n gauge with the dcc ready chassis...

tim

Mr.Grumpy

Quote from: scruff on July 18, 2012, 06:09:24 PM
That's because all the real news is on :NGaugeForum:

;D

Mark

We best keep it quiet lest we be bought by the Murdoch empire  :-X

Quote from: red_death on July 18, 2012, 05:30:09 PM
Quote from: Mr.Grumpy on July 18, 2012, 02:59:02 PM
I think that designing the shells and submitting to shapeways could be a false economy in the long run if I want to save for a 3D printer.

Personally I think for the moment submitting to a 3rd party printer is the only sensible way to do things if you want reasonable resolution and finish.  If the cost becomes prohibitive then print one or two and cast them in resin.  The resolution and finish of 3D printers will increase to a point, but the real problem for the hobbyist is the capital cost of the machine - you can still pay a fair chunk of money for something without the resolution. I have no doubt the printers will eventually drop to a reasonable price, it is just a question of what that timescale is!

In terms of scaling the model - I use Blender and use 1 blender unit = 1mm of the model dimension so say something is 10m long in real life then scale that down by 1:148 and it gives you 67.6mm (or 67.6 blender units).

Cheers, Mike

I'd be grateful if anyone can share some .blend files with me that they're not bothered about me messing around with so I can give it a go myself.

I'd love to learn how to clone things using resin.  To print my modern-era 3D models and share them with you all would be awesome.
N Gauge Dystopian Future: Planning | Construction

Pengi

Having just seen a feature on local TV (Meridian) about the Hitachi trains that are going to be running on the Greater Western franchise, I think the way forward is going to be to modify the Kato bullets (for us that like the fast EMUs)
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

galway

Hattons have just emailed me with their pre-order list - striking while the irons hot!
Is féidir tú a choinneáil ar eascainí an madra nó is féidir a lasadh coinneal duit

EtchedPixels

Quote from: Pendy on July 18, 2012, 06:31:02 PM
Having just seen a feature on local TV (Meridian) about the Hitachi trains that are going to be running on the Greater Western franchise, I think the way forward is going to be to modify the Kato bullets (for us that like the fast EMUs)

The Javelin on Ringroad is done this way.
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations