DeAgostini doing non static models now

Started by zwilnik, July 10, 2021, 12:11:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ntpntpntp

Quote from: Capri_sam on July 11, 2021, 04:45:09 PM
Interestingly they seem to have resurrected the old Lima/Darstead blue CIWL sleeper...

Just curious, what makes you think there is any actual Lima involvement with the Darstaed coach?  If anything it's very similar to the old Rivarossi CIWL coaches as I showed in comparison photos in previous posts/threads.

Darstead top, Rivarossi bottom
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Capri_sam

Quote from: ntpntpntp on July 11, 2021, 05:52:07 PM
Interestingly they seem to have resurrected the old Lima/Darstead blue CIWL sleeper...

Just curious, what makes you think there is any actual Lima involvement with the Darstaed coach?  If anything it's very similar to the old Rivarossi CIWL coaches as I showed in comparison photos in previous posts/threads.

Darstead top, Rivarossi bottom

You're completely right, and I should have known better, I've got four or five or each!

Gordon

, but it's a start point for bashing) if you want to model the Night Ferry.

I can't say I agree. These models are very far from a similar style to the Night Ferry sleeping cars (Voiture Lits type F), especially as there are pukka 3D prints available of Night Ferry sleepers in N:

http://www.rue-d-etropal.com/3D-printing/passenger-stock-sr/3d_printed_SR_Night_Ferry.htm

These looks most like preserved CIWL stock such as that used on the VSOE in Europe
Sometime Publicity Officer, N Gauge Society

Swiss Railways Consultant
French Railways Consultant
European railway expert

First British N loco (in 1972): Farish GER Holden tank!
Modelling French N gauge since 1975
Modelling Swiss and German N gauge since 1971

Capri_sam

Quote from: Gordon on July 11, 2021, 11:54:36 PM
, but it's a start point for bashing) if you want to model the Night Ferry.

I can't say I agree. These models are very far from a similar style to the Night Ferry sleeping cars (Voiture Lits type F), especially as there are pukka 3D prints available of Night Ferry sleepers in N:

http://www.rue-d-etropal.com/3D-printing/passenger-stock-sr/3d_printed_SR_Night_Ferry.htm

These looks most like preserved CIWL stock such as that used on the VSOE in Europe

Interesting, I had no idea! Do you know what chassis the brake vans run on? I can't see it written down anywhere and a forum search hasn't given me any luck.

njee20

Take your pick! Simon doesn't actually test his prints or design them with finishing in mind. I don't mean that to be disparaging; he produces a huge array of models, but you're on your own in terms of the other bits, they're not designed with any specific bits in mind.

Gordon

Quote from: njee20 on July 12, 2021, 10:38:48 AM
Take your pick! Simon doesn't actually test his prints or design them with finishing in mind. I don't mean that to be disparaging; he produces a huge array of models, but you're on your own in terms of the other bits, they're not designed with any specific bits in mind.

That is common with 3D. There are lots of other useful bodyshells being produced without a specific chassis in mind. It has held up quite a lot of my European N rolling stock building projects!
Sometime Publicity Officer, N Gauge Society

Swiss Railways Consultant
French Railways Consultant
European railway expert

First British N loco (in 1972): Farish GER Holden tank!
Modelling French N gauge since 1975
Modelling Swiss and German N gauge since 1971

njee20

Yep, and I get why - some people are just cranking out items because of their utility, but it's slightly poor form to me. I always design a complete kit. That said again I know Simon produces dozens of items in multiple scales, and that'd likely never be possible if they were all 'complete' as it were.

woodbury22uk

i have always felt that the range of items produced by Simon (rue d'etropal) is intended as scratch build aids but with some of the difficult body bits in one workable piece. Given the breadth of the range and the huge variety of scales it would be impossible to re-jig every design to suit an RTR chassis given that we know that an RTR chassis is rarely the exactly right dimensions to start with so the body would have to be stretched or squeezed to suit. Better, to my mind, that the builder starts with a decent scale body and then fits the other bits around it to suit their capapbility and need.

I have usually taken the route of designing to fit an RTR chassis, and more recently provided a 3D printed chassis option to match up with proprietary bogies and coupler systems. I like Nick's whole kit approach which works well for N, but starts to become more of a problem in larger scales and finer scales where printer size limitations come in to play.
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

njee20

Yes, I totally agree, and I think designing for a RTR (or otherwise available chassis) is very sensible; given how awkward I've found buying wheels and things at times it's even more sensible! Maridunian's kits always look extremely well thought out.

As long as people know what they're buying, ie a body where they'll need to scratchbuild the remainder, then that's fine. But it doesn't always feel like that's totally clear, I know I've seen Simon be asked a few times which chassis would suit x y or z model, and the answer is "dunno".

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £100.23
Above Goal: £0.23
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
April Donations