DeAgostini doing non static models now

Started by zwilnik, July 10, 2021, 12:11:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zwilnik

It looks like DeAgostini (famous for their ridiculously overpriced "collect the parts" magazines with bits on them and in N Gauge for the static loco model collection that was one of them) are making a move into being an actual N gauge manufacturer.

I've noticed DM Toys have been listing more and more of their range in their emails, which includes track, rolling stock, scenic bits and now a couple of locos. What's interesting is they're very definitely aiming at the budget market as their Bo-Bo electric locos are €59.99 each (and they're DCC ready).

Probably not for the extreme detail modellers but good news for the budget conscious and starters. Some of the wagons appear to be ready painted kits too.

railsquid

Here's a link: https://www.dm-toys.de/en/list/manufacturer/DeAgostini.html

Looks like some useful bits.

Bealman

Yes, there appears to be some useful odds and sods, there, as you say, Ian.  :thumbsup:

For some reason, it reminds me of the Playcraft range you could buy at Woollies when I was kid. Nowt wrong with that, cheap and cheerful, but the odd bit of gear was useful.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

The sleeper arrangement at the end of the track sections remind me of the old Lima ones that came with my first N Gauge set back in the mid 1970's! 

railsquid

Quote from: 70000 on July 10, 2021, 05:42:57 AM
The sleeper arrangement at the end of the track sections remind me of the old Lima ones that came with my first N Gauge set back in the mid 1970's!

I recall their HO/OO track being like that as well. It's entirely conceivable some of the DeAgostini range derives from old Lima tooling...

ntpntpntp

Already discussed on at least one other thread on here.

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=52507.msg718287#msg718287

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=44277.msg552226#msg552226

I don't think this is a case of DeAgostini now moving into this area, more like they did it some years ago and maybe it didn't sell well so DMT have acquired the remaining stock of bits.

There was a part-work series to build your own N gauge layout, issued (to my knowledge) in Europe back in 2015/16, maybe at different times and with slight variations in different countries.

At least some of the rolling stock and the locos were produced by Darstaed who are better known for O gauge I think.  I have one of the completed coaches acquired from ebay a while ago.  From what I read a while back, the locos are simply made (they have to be assembled from parts in more than one magazine issue after all) but actually aren't too bad.

The points are very similar to Setrack even with Peco style tie-bar and motor mounting slots, but definitely aren't the actual Peco or Farish items.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

ntpntpntp

Quote from: zwilnik on July 10, 2021, 12:11:20 AM
... their Bo-Bo electric locos are €59.99 each (and they're DCC ready).

They're not "DCC ready" in the usually understood sense of having a decoder socket: they are "DCC compatible" in that the chassis design has the motor isolated and wired to the pickups. It'll need a hard-wired decoder installed, which DMT will do for a price.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

zwilnik

Ah, the ex-part work stock makes sense. It also explains why only DMT seem to stock them.

Gordon

Quote from: ntpntpntp on July 10, 2021, 08:36:32 AM

maybe it didn't sell well

Yes, like most 'build it' partworks by and large people get bored with buying the whole set or realise that they could buy a 'proper' ready built model for the same ( or less) cost!
Sometime Publicity Officer, N Gauge Society

Swiss Railways Consultant
French Railways Consultant
European railway expert

First British N loco (in 1972): Farish GER Holden tank!
Modelling French N gauge since 1975
Modelling Swiss and German N gauge since 1971

Bealman

Yes, silly concept, I think. I just look at them in the newsagents and laugh, thinking some mug's gonna buy that, thinking he got something for nothing  :no:

njee20

I get the appeal of them, and it's basically instalment pricing; so yes you end up paying £900 for a model of the Millennium Falcon or whatever, but at £5.99 a week it's more palatable for many.

Bealman

Hmm. That works out to be 150 weeks before you've got a Millennium Falcon. Mind you, if you got it half built, you could jump to hyperspace and get the other bits quicker  ;)

maridunian

A mate of mine built the Millennium Falcon. Yes, really!

Mike
My layout: Mwynwr Tryciau Colliery, the Many Tricks Mine.

My 3D Modelshop: Maridunian's Models

Bealman

That's right - I think the early Star Wars movies were filmed at Pinewood or Shepparton studios.  :thumbsup:

Capri_sam

Interestingly they seem to have resurrected the old Lima/Darstead blue CIWL sleeper - useful (ish, from a distance, it's not perfect in that it has too many doors and some German writing on it, but it's a start point for bashing) if you want to model the Night Ferry.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £100.23
Above Goal: £0.23
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
April Donations