Farish / Dapol Collectors clubs ?

Started by Westbury, April 01, 2015, 06:40:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trkilliman

Reading these posts I find it amazing that Dapol have let themselves become so disorganised. I would not want to join a collectors/manufacturers club, but for those that do by paying a subscription it sounds as though they are getting a poor deal.

For those prepared to pay a subscription I imagine they expect to feel a connection to the manufacturer by way of their communications, invites, special members offers to name a few.  Members finding they are being left off, ignored when they make enquires about their membership, unwanted renewals, and even statements from the M.D/CEO not carrying through, will simply alienate the very people they could build some customer rapport with...and possibly more people who are reading these posts.

I have always said I would like to see Dapol continue to grow, but they seem to fall down in several areas. They need to sort things out, especially with a new kid on the block and possibly more to come.

d-a-n

The Dapol club just seems like a joke. A very bad value for money joke. Even if they got the members packs out on time, I still wouldn't be joining as they don't get any product out on time, instead, churning out the same stuff.
They need to get someone onto the social media side of things who can update the website, facebook and Twitter feeds and perhaps get onto the forums (or even make their own members-only forum/sub section of an exisiting forum) to keep customers updated to rebuild a bit of faith in the company.

trkilliman

I think whilst many have been very critical of Dapol, others have cut them them some slack. They had a change of M.D.  Dave Jones parted company, new people entered the leading team. I remember reading a 2-3 page interview with Joel and his new team in the model press.We were told to expect a period of of "bedding in" for the new team members and to expect some re-issues of existing products.

Apparently they are now working on their own version of coreless motor to be fitted in future releases. Let's hope they get it right, along with conducting a serious look at their public relations.
We do hear on this forum of people getting good customer service from Dapol, and then hear of people having real problems with them. In this area as a company they appear to be inconsistent. I have to wonder if like many companies these days they operate with staff numbers pared to the minimum?   Customer loyalty can only be pushed so far, and as always actions speak louder than words.

N-Gauge-US

Quote from: trkilliman on January 24, 2016, 12:52:20 PM
I think whilst many have been very critical of Dapol, others have cut them them some slack. They had a change of M.D.  Dave Jones parted company, new people entered the leading team. I remember reading a 2-3 page interview with Joel and his new team in the model press.We were told to expect a period of of "bedding in" for the new team members and to expect some re-issues of existing products.

Apparently they are now working on their own version of coreless motor to be fitted in future releases. Let's hope they get it right, along with conducting a serious look at their public relations.
We do hear on this forum of people getting good customer service from Dapol, and then hear of people having real problems with them. In this area as a company they appear to be inconsistent. I have to wonder if like many companies these days they operate with staff numbers pared to the minimum?   Customer loyalty can only be pushed so far, and as always actions speak louder than words.

Very well said. I didn't know about their coreless motor; I will be looking forward to that. I have honestly had good luck with Dapol locomotives but have been turned off from buying too many more because of all of the known issues with so many of the classes. I don't want to return things from the US, so confidence in a quality product is vital for me. I stick to classes with good track records now (after buying an M7 before reading all of the reviews...).

I think you are right to point out that Dapol has had many good examples of customer service enumerated on here and I pointed out above that there seems to be some sort of disconnect between their Club and their normal running operations, to the club's detriment (obviously). I would like to think that the club gets back benched because of other priority issues, but I also think that if that is the case, they should end the club or make it a free or very low cost online option, which would shift much of the burden away from mailing lists (electronic ones are stupid simple to manage) and would group club orders in with Dapol website orders, which typically dispatch properly (compared to the club).

I sometimes get the impression from things I read that Joel and Dapol are working very hard and are genuinely concerned about customer satisfaction and I sometimes get the impression that their office is a miserly cesspool of incompetence and apathy. I would guess the truth lies somewhere in the middle and that staffing, as you mentioned, is likely a major source of the non-QC problems.
Check out Avondale - My heritage railway themed layout :)

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29371.0

talisman56

Don't get me wrong - I'm very impressed and pleased with the products that Dapol produce and that I have purchased, it's just that if they say there's a Club and take money for it, it behoves them to make sure that it operates correctly and the personnel that staff it are efficient and responsive to customer needs and issues.
Quando omni flunkus moritati

My layout thread - Hambleside East: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18364.0
My workbench thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=19037

austinbob

I have just renewed my membership of the Bachmann collectors club and received my collectors club wagon, badge and membership card.
Very rapid service and very pleased with the wagon (14T Tank wagon 'Dorman Long')

[smg id=36441 type=preview align=center caption="14T tank wagon"]
:)
:beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

RichardBattersby

Richard
Askham Battersby MKII - NE/Midland Modular Layout

"We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing."

talisman56

Nice wagon - I look forward to receiving it when my membership is renewed...

:thankyousign:
Quando omni flunkus moritati

My layout thread - Hambleside East: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18364.0
My workbench thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=19037

Paul B

I'd join just to get that tanker!  :thankyousign:
LNER and PKP fan in the home of the GWR!

dannyboy

Quote from: Paul B on March 08, 2016, 11:00:14 AM
I'd join just to get that tanker!  :thankyousign:

I am in my second year of membership and have to say it is excellent value for money - not withstanding the free wagons  :thumbsup:. David.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

N-Gauge-US

That's the wagon I got when I joined around Christmas :) I also would like to note that Megan, who is doing lots of the correspondence there now, is very helpful and friendly and well worth contacting if you have questions about the club (she's new to model railways, but is great with customer service, from my experience). I'll be interested to see what this year's club offerings are. I wound up getting a silly amount of last year's items (both the Fairburn and 4F, both the Mk1s and two wagons, plus the club wagon....), but I am doubtful we will get two years of great steam offerings.... ;)

austinbob

Quote from: N-Gauge-US on March 09, 2016, 09:57:43 AM
That's the wagon I got when I joined around Christmas :) I also would like to note that Megan, who is doing lots of the correspondence there now, is very helpful and friendly and well worth contacting if you have questions about the club (she's new to model railways, but is great with customer service, from my experience). I'll be interested to see what this year's club offerings are. I wound up getting a silly amount of last year's items (both the Fairburn and 4F, both the Mk1s and two wagons, plus the club wagon....), but I am doubtful we will get two years of great steam offerings.... ;)
Must admit I was very extravagant last year and bought most of the club offerings. Looking forward to this year's offerings.
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Westbury

Just renewed too and got the tanker (*** ducks in case he's seen*** in both scales too...)

austinbob

Quote from: austinbob on March 09, 2016, 11:02:02 AM
Must admit I was very extravagant last year and bought most of the club offerings. Looking forward to this year's offerings.
Just received the Spring edition of the Bachmann Times and very nice it is too. Unfortunately there are no new N gauge club specials announced so far.

Bob Austin

N-Gauge-US

Quote from: austinbob on March 24, 2016, 01:53:54 PM
Quote from: austinbob on March 09, 2016, 11:02:02 AM
Just received the Spring edition of the Bachmann Times and very nice it is too. Unfortunately there are no new N gauge club specials announced so far.
Thanks for the update, Bob! Mine should be here in a week or so. Disappointing that there are no new n Gauge offerings yet, but I'm looking forward to the promised LBSCR Article :) Should make for an entertaining read in any case :)

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £25.67
Below Goal: £74.33
Site Currency: GBP
26% 
May Donations