What decals/transfers are available for BR transition-era freight stock?

Started by E Pinniger, August 24, 2013, 03:45:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

E Pinniger

Having decided that handpainted markings on my wagons and vans weren't good enough, I ordered some Fox Transfers decal sheets (FRH2800, FRH2802 and FRH2901) which looked to be all I needed for standard vans and open wagons. However, on receiving the decals (the website photos are too small to see the contents clearly) they have no wheelbase markings and not many tare markings, though there are plenty of XP markings and serial numbers! The decals are also rather hard to use (IMO at least), presumably being simply scaled down from 4mm ones - some markings (such as regional prefixes for serials) are supplied as individual letters/digits, and the decals are printed so close together that cutting them out without damaging adjacent ones is a challenge.

Are there any other suppliers of decals for BR transition-era freight stock in 2mm scale? Railtec Models produce a sheet of decals for standard vans (which I'll probably be ordering soon) but nothing for open wagons. I'm also looking for decals for ex-GWR NPCS stock (Siphons, Fruit vans, horse boxes etc.) in BR service.

EtchedPixels

Cambridge Custom Transfers do a lot of BR era decals

and depending upon your date Precision Decals do custom numbers/tops boxes for them
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

E Pinniger

Thanks for the information - haven't heard of Cambridge Custom Transfers before but their range looks pretty impressive, and good value too though the initial investment is fairly high. Precision Decals aren't suitable for my requirements as I'm modelling the pre-TOPS era (early 1960s).
I also forgot that the NGS sell a range of decals printed by Modelmaster, checking through the catalogue (http://www.ngaugesociety.com/uploads/Modelmaster/New2010GPdecalsBigFour.doc.pdf) there seem to be plenty of freight stock decals for the era I'm modelling. I really should have done some research before buying  :doh:

Are Cambridge and/or Railtec decals usually available at TINGS? If so I'll pick up the decals I need there (hopefully the NGS stand will have their Modelmaster sheets for sale too)

EtchedPixels

Not usually.

The society shop doesn't tend to take much stock with it for shows (they have far too much) so I would mail the shop and ask them if you can order and pick it up at the show.

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

davieb

Quote from: E Pinniger on August 24, 2013, 08:24:48 PM
(hopefully the NGS stand will have their Modelmaster sheets for sale too)

I Asked at the Stoke exhibition about decals

They only had some for the NGS kits and GP sheet 1....... 1948-65 Open Wagons

But they may have more for TINGS  ???

dave  :thumbsup:

E Pinniger

Again thanks for the info. I've decided to order the Railtec van sheet which should do for the models currently on my workbench (various fitted and unfitted 12t box vans) then keep an eye out at TINGS for the other decals I need (open wagons, insulated, ex-GWR etc.); if I don't find what I'm looking for I'll order them from NGS later on.

If anyone's interested, the Fox Transfers sheets I bought are now for sale in the classifieds section!

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £25.67
Below Goal: £74.33
Site Currency: GBP
26% 
May Donations