Settle and Carlisle

Started by Chatty, August 18, 2013, 07:05:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chatty

Good Morning

My return to N Scale as awaken my interest in the S&C.  The old books have been dusted off and re-read.  Couple more on their way to Australia thereby increasing dramatically the profits of the British Post Office.

It appears that I will have to scratch build the buildings.  Scalescenes is my usual source of brick and stone papers (instantly available) but they don't seemed to have anything that remotely resembles the stone work on the S&C buildings.

Just wondering what others may have used?

Kind regards

Geoff

Have you hugged your locomotive today.

Steve.T

Hi,

Hope you get this project off the ground and wish you luck.
I have recently taken up N gauge again and rather ambitiously wanting to model mt home town of Skipton around 1960.
I know this isn't exactly S & C but is in the area, so interested to see how it goes.
Unfortunately due to work and other jobs around the house (and kids) money & time is difficult to come by at the moment and so is still in planning and test building stages.
So sorry but can't really help as yet .

If I can help in any way though would be glad to help.

There are many fairly cheap books on Ebay UK so if you want to buy a few and get them posted out all together then I could help with that (I know that means trusting somebody you don't even know though).

Anyway once again good luck  :thumbsup:   :beers:

Steve

I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.

Steve

kiwi1941

Quote from: Chatty on August 18, 2013, 07:05:58 AMScalescenes ... don't seemed to have anything that remotely resembles the stone work on the S&C buildings. Just wondering what others may have used?

Dear Geoff,

I too am modelling the S+C, from Garsdale to Aisgill, and have scratch built viaducts and occupation crossings using Slaters embossed Plasticard. They make 2mm sheets, which will do for buildings, but some of the larger stonework can also be represented by their 4mm sheets. I was fortunate to be able to buy the entire remaining stock of his very accurately cast railway cottages and farm houses from Brian at Shire Scenes some years ago. Someone else bought the moulds but I've never seen them used and advertised again; pity.

If all else fails I guess you could use the Metcalf cardboard building kits or their embossed card. With care and weathering they can look good.

If you want to PM me off list I'd be happy to try and help more. I've a heap of sources to hand at home in NZ [I'm currently in the UK until mid-September].

Good luck, Brian
Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty." Wendell Phillips.

Eternal paranoia is the price of liberty: vigilance is not enough. Len Deighton.

CarriageShed

:hellosign:
Hello Geoff and welcome back to N Gauge. There seem to be quite a few of us returnees on the forum, all picking up useful hints and tips from the rest (and kind and useful offers of help). I look forward to seeing your efforts on the S&C with interest, especially if you're going to be including at least one of the lovely viaducts on that line.

Newportnobby

Hi Geoff,
Have you caught up with the excellent layout on YouTube - Batty Moor?
One of the best I've seen covering the S & C :thumbsup:

scotsoft

Hi Geoff,

Check out this company, I feel sure you may find the stone you are looking for here  ;)

http://www.smartmodels.co.uk/home

cheers John.

Steve.T

Quote from: newportnobby on August 18, 2013, 10:33:46 AM
Hi Geoff,

Absolutely brilliant. The backdrop makes it look so real.

:thumbsup:

Steve
I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.

Steve

CarriageShed

Quote from: newportnobby on August 18, 2013, 10:33:46 AM
Hi Geoff,

Absolutely gorgeous. The sound effects/sound track is also brilliant. Must get some kind of generalised soundtrack to play in the background when I have a layout. The effect really is marvellous.

Jonny

Not sure if its what your after.  I was going down the s and c route but have been swayed by the stainmore line. 

I have some of the hornby lyddle end buildings . Station building based on dent. With extra extension and the waiting room.
Goods shed to match.
Midland style signal box also lyddle end. 

Dapol lms working signals. 

Much lms / br midland region goodies all new farish loco's and coache.

S and c books.

Pm if interested

Cheers
Jon
Live each day as if it's your last

As one day you may be right.

Carlisle to Silloth. 1854-1964
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlisle_and_Silloth_Bay_Railway

Chatty

Steve

Many thanks for your words of encouragement.

Somewhere around Skipton would have been my second choice to model.  So I think you have chosen a great prototype to model.

I have retired (well sort of) so I have time on my hands.  The last of my children left home a month ago after 32 years!

It isn't so much the cost of the books of EBay its the postage that makes it expensive.

Many thanks again.

Kind regards

Geoff

Chatty

Brian

What a wonderful project you are undertaking.

Yes, it is a pity that those buildings are no longer being produced.

I thought Slater's might have been the place to start but I couldn't find any 2mm products.  I will look again.  It was my birthday yesterday and I had consumed a fair amount of red wine that family and friends had brought so that might have something to do with it!

Will be in touch when you get back to NZ.

Kind regards

Geoff

Chatty

Mick

I came across Batty Moor when surfing the web doing some research.

As you and other have said it is quite a brilliant piece of work.

However, I have been trying to figure out the length of it. 

Kind regards

Geoff

Chatty

Jon

Very interesting bit of railway.  That Belah viaduct is really something.

Kind regards

Geoff

Agrippa

One of my favourite areas, I try to get there at least once a year for hiking round
Dent ,Ribblehead,  Horton , Garsdale etc,. Big variety of trains of different eras,
and a few good little inns I stay in.By the way kiwi1941, if you model Garsdale
don''t forget the statue of the dog, very sad tale.
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

kiwi1941

Quote from: Agrippa on August 19, 2013, 12:47:00 AMBy the way kiwi1941, if you model Garsdale don''t forget the statue of the dog, very sad tale.

Saw it the other day. It indeed commemorates a very sad story but it's too recent an addition for my main running period [1935-1945].  Brian
Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty." Wendell Phillips.

Eternal paranoia is the price of liberty: vigilance is not enough. Len Deighton.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £75.23
Below Goal: £24.77
Site Currency: GBP
75% 
April Donations