Videos of Exhibition Layouts

Started by LASteve, April 09, 2019, 11:18:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LASteve

I was just looking at a couple of videos on YouTube from NGSE over the weekend (I wish I could have gone, but it's a bit of a trek from LA) and prompted, again, a question that I've asked myself in the past.

Now, this is in no way intended as a criticism of those who take the time to take video, edit it and upload it so that people like me can enjoy it, but - why doesn't anyone ever talk to the exhibitors or show any information about the layout other than the name and the gauge?

It's great to see the trains run and see the detail of the layouts, but there's almost no point having the mic turned on if all you can hear are background conversations and some kids crying.

Are video people inherently shy? Are exhibitors camera-shy? Is it too much like hard work? Again, this isn't a criticism, I'm genuinely curious as to why. It's of as much interest to me as the layout itself to learn about the inspiration behind it, the location its representing, the challenges of building it, what's the favorite/least favorite part of the layout, a ton of background.

Of all the (lots) of videos I've watched on YouTube I've never heard a question or a commentary. I even asked one of the regular exhibition attenders/uploaders (no names, but I'm looking at you, DCC125) the same question and I didn't get an answer.

So what's up?

PLD

If these videos were taken on spec during normal opening times at a public exhibition it's quite simple

As an Exhibitor, the priority is to put on a show for all those visitors who have paid good money to enter the show, NOT to stop to give all your attention to one individual who sticks an unexpected (and unwanted) video camera in your face for the benefit of someone on the net who has not contributed to the exhibition.

If you want a properly staged video with commentary/interviews then we can arrange a private filming session in return for an appropriate appearance fee...

njee20

Yep, agreed, these aren't videographers, it's a bloke with his phone or pocket camera recording it and sharing it whilst enjoying the show.

I agree that background noise isn't the most scintillating, but it's what was there. If I'm totally honest I don't really care about what inspired the build, I don't want an interview with the builders, I want to see the layout. There are blogs out there which have richer content if you do want more of that.

Buffin

I don't want to sound churlish, but I find videos of exhibition layouts curiously uninvolving, I think because the producers feel they have to keep changing the viewpoint to hold the viewer's interest. I prefer to stand and stare. So, oddly, still photographs draw me in more. They give time for the imagination.

njee20

I often get annoyed with videos generally - different people want different things. I like wagons, so if I'm watching a video (model or real), I want to see the entire train, not the loco and the 3 following wagons before cutting to the next shot. Like you Buffin I also have an adult attention span, so don't need new angles every 3 seconds! Just keep the camera in one place and watch stuff go by, fine for me! :)

Bealman

Maybe a wave or a hello from the team before cutting to the next layout? Would sort of provide a break between layouts.

I have said before on the forum that video's of layouts, no matter how good the layout or photography is, draw attention to the fact that the people on the platforms and elsewhere are not moving.  ;)
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Skyline2uk

I am sure there are some videos out there of a layout at a show being operated by me (there certainly are some horrific photos), but I can say with certainty that I wouldn't be addressing the camera.

For me there is a choice;

Concentrate on operating the layout at the expense of speaking to camera and *almost* be certain of no foul-ups

OR

Try to do both and most likely cause a pile-up

Skyline2uk

njee20

I'm quite a cheerful extroverted chap and happy in front of a camera, but if some randomer stuck a camera in my face and asked slightly odd questions about my layout I'd struggle not to look like a total pillock. For many the fear of looking a total pillock would itself lead to pillockory.

I think the only one who'd manage to get through such an experience totally unscathed would be our own Ben A!

ntpntpntp

I was video  interviewed by Minitrix whilst out in Stuttgart with the layout in 2006, for one of their yearly review DVDs.  Mostly they wanted to know why a Brit was interested in modelling German railways rather than our own so I trotted out my usual explanation of better quality and more interesting models etc.

It's a bit cringe-worthy when I watch it back now.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Platy767

Thanks LASteve for a well framed question (my opinion). I was surprised by some of the responses (my opinion). I also live a long way away from UK exhibitions that I would like to attend, but logistically can't and I rely on the videos published on a video channel to see some of the current layouts of a prototype and scale that is not so popular where I live.

So, I think we need to be thankful for what we get.

...and even though it is not my scale, I can still enjoy being immersed into Buckingham GC with a few of the Peter Denny books, perhaps even better than any video could.

Mark

Newportnobby

Sorry to disagree with @Bealman but I like to see 'moving pictures' of layouts and often scan YouTube to see what I can find. Many a time the footage has been shot before/after the scrum arrives/leaves so we get to see the whole layout and nothing beats seeing trains moving even if, at some point, the Hand of God appears and fiddles with something. Another of my anal qualities is I'm a coach/wagon counter so like to see the whole train pass before the camera rather than it being cut away from. You can also gauge the quality sometimes by the slow running, demonstrating decent locos on decently laid track with decent electrics.
I don't expect passenger movement, although I seem to recall a layout where the passengers on the platform disappeared before the train departed as they were swivelled through 180 degrees and were on a 'platform' type base :hmmm:

njee20

For those who do like well shot videos then I can recommend the Pilentum YouTube channel. They cover all gauges and a lot isn't British, but the standard of layout is extremely high and they're well shot IMO. Still no interviews with builders though ;)

Chris Morris

So there I was just ten minutes before the show opens and some bloke comes up to me with a microphone and his mate had got a camcorder....

Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

GrahamB

As the owner/operator of Southwark Bridge I find talking and operating at the same time is inviting disaster (I'm male so multi tasking is not in my skill set). As we have two operators one could have driven and the other given some sort of commentary but I'm struggling to think what to say.

By contrast we had a good number of conversations about the layout including kit bashing, who manufactured what and diode matrix route setting but would any of those been of interest on a video?
Tonbridge MRC Member.
My Southwark Bridge thread can be found at https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38683.0
My Southwark Bridge website can be found at https://southwarkbridge.wixsite.com/ngauge

martyn

Perhaps the person making the video could read out the 'blurb', or a relevant part of it, about the layout that is usually present in the exhibition guide?

Martyn

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations