Forth Rail Bridge

Started by samoyd, January 08, 2014, 12:17:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

samoyd

Hello all,
             I have decided to go N gauge and was wandering if anyone or knows any one who has modeled
The Forth Rail Bridge in N gauge or give advice on how it could be accomplished as I would like to make this
a backdrop on a second level and running trains in a loop over it.
The total length of the actual bridge is 8,296 feet long which i myself have worked out at 56" long
but I do not know if that is correct. I have asked at local hobby shops but no one seem to be able to help.
So here's hoping as I would like to create this as I do not know if anyone has done this.
                                   Thank you for your future indulgence.
                                                                                                Ken

ParkeNd

It would need to be 673 inches long at N scale which is more like 56 feet rather than inches. Would fit in the garden with a helix to get up to it?

Agrippa

One of my favourite places , but as ParkNd has stated rather large, apart from the bridge itselfthe approaches run for a large distance either side and on the Queensferry side (south) the track goes on high piers until it meets the bridge proper so I think any layout involving the bridgewould have to make compromises or else need a huge space to be authentic.
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

RST

As someone who grew up 10 miles away and knows the bridge well I would say good luck.  Plenty of plastruct girder strip required but very do-able.   It is some sight.

ParkeNd

Quote from: RST on January 08, 2014, 01:07:23 AM
As someone who grew up 10 miles away and knows the bridge well I would say good luck.  Plenty of plastruct girder strip required but very do-able.   It is some sight.

Probably a job for James May and Mecanno.

Agrippa

If I was Mr May I'd nip into the Hawes for a glass or two before getting the Lego out !

RST

If I were Mr May I'd need 15 hairdressers and a production team to get me there.  Never mind someone to tell me what it is when I arrive.  He'd still have bad hair and not know what it was when he got wherever.

Very difficult to photograph, best I managed in years...

...snapped on my camera phone just after xmas :-[  Would have been much better if I had my camera gear.

cjdodd

That would be an amazing project, maybe just take one span and model that, not sure if that would still give you the image your after though, I suppose the whole magic of the bridge is it's size and puzzle of steel.

BobB

If I was going for an authentic bridge I would consider Brunel's at Saltash, quite a bit shorter and maybe would still look impressive with just one main span. The Fourth bridge looks great but I don't think it could be shortened and retain its majesty.

ParkeNd

The original Severn Railway bridge in its current form would be both suitable to model and operationally appealing to kids who like Scaletrix crashes and the like. One short span and straight into the river.

Agrippa

The bridge at Connel near Oban (now a road bridge) was built about the same time as
the Forth bridge , or possibly slightly earlier and would be easier to model as it's much smaller though of cantilever design.

Oldun

Give you an idea of its size:

[smg id=9459]
Never take Life too serious, we are never going to make it out alive

Chocolate comes from cocoa which is a tree ... that makes it a plant which means ... chocolate is Salad !!!

Oldun

Scaled down even the centre section is 11' 6" long :o

[smg id=9462]
Never take Life too serious, we are never going to make it out alive

Chocolate comes from cocoa which is a tree ... that makes it a plant which means ... chocolate is Salad !!!

ParkeNd

Quote from: Oldun on January 10, 2014, 03:52:06 PM
Scaled down even the centre section is 11' 6" long :o

[smg id=9462]

Thats more practical. Should fit into an approx 18ft layout.

Since the orginal proposal I have converted the new Severn Bridge (not the M48 one) dimensions to N gauge dimensions. The prototype is 3.5 miles long and would make a 124.8 ft long model. Plus of course fiddle yards at each end.

Would suggest not a roundy roundy because even for a car this year it is free from Wales into England and £6.40 from England into Wales. It's just under £20 for a lorry so heaven knows what that would cost for a train. However much that scales up to you would only want to go to England - so an end to end with no return seems appropriate.

Usual comments about who the heck would want to pay to get into Wales on a postcard please.

Postscript :  Before every forum member who lives in Cardiff, Swansea, Newport, Pontypridd etc attacks me - I live in Wales (despite being English to the core)!!

EtchedPixels

Quote from: ParkeNd on January 10, 2014, 05:34:00 PM
Usual comments about who the heck would want to pay to get into Wales on a postcard please.

Postscript :  Before every forum member who lives in Cardiff, Swansea, Newport, Pontypridd etc attacks me - I live in Wales (despite being English to the core)!!

We keep putting the prices up but they just won't stop coming  :P

"Two lands at last connected
  Across the waters wide,
  And all the tolls collected
  On the English side."
    -- Harri Webb

Although I rather liked the Network Rail guy who when the severn tunnel was closed said that "England was currently cut off from civilisation" 8)
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations