Rates icons on thread posts

Started by RyanHussey, July 26, 2022, 11:12:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jpendle

Hi,

:sorrysign:

I clearly misunderstood your original post, inferring that you were annoyed by pointless threads, rather than pointless replies to threads.

Whether we like it or not there are clearly members of this forum who treat topics as if they were having a conversation at a club, or down the pub, and perhaps address members of this forum as they would an old friend.

I also find the conversational replies somewhat superfluous unless they are in a conversational topic.

However, as long as the original poster of the thread doesn't mind then I don't think the rest of us are in any real position to moan.

Regards,

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

And my Automation Thread

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=52597.msg687934#msg687934

njee20

Quote from: PLD on July 27, 2022, 10:33:17 PM
Quote from: Newportnobby on July 27, 2022, 10:19:37 PM
I freely admit to having posted "I don't know the answer but am sure someone will be along who can" but only to newbies posing their first question. My post is purely so they don't think no one is 'listening'. Anyone else, I point to a thread or tag a person who will know.
I find this far more polite than just replying with "Use the 'Search' function"
Possibly it is partly the perceptions we develop of certain members Mick, but my recollection of you posts is far more of the helpful "XYZ is the man to help" form, with a tag so XYZ is alerted to the thread...

Yeah, if it helps Mick I've never noticed you doing that. I'm sure many of us read threads like this and think "do I do that...?!". I agree it's different with new members.

I've no issue with how members address each other I must say. I think it can make it feel a bit more cliquey, as you need to know who such and such is, but I think this forum, by virtue of having a comparatively small active membership, treads that line anyway. Doesn't seem to put people off. 'In jokes' are a real pain though, definitely find that disengages me.

joe cassidy

Quote from: njee20 on July 28, 2022, 12:07:32 AM
'In jokes' are a real pain though, definitely find that disengages me.

I understand. One of the rare disadvantages of being young  :)

Jim Easterbrook

Quote from: njee20 on July 28, 2022, 12:07:32 AM
I've no issue with how members address each other I must say. I think it can make it feel a bit more cliquey, as you need to know who such and such is, but I think this forum, by virtue of having a comparatively small active membership, treads that line anyway.

One difficulty (for recent newbies) in addressing other members is knowing their name! Forum handles are all very well, but a human name is friendlier. Sometimes you can find out by viewing a member's profile, but it's dead easy to stick it in your signature so it appears in every post.
Jim Easterbrook
"I'm an engineer, not an artist!"
"Amoro, emptio, utiliso!"
Personal website. / Photos on Flickr. / Blog.

Bealman

I know of several members over the years who have been reluctant to reveal their real name, for assorted reasons.

I've never had an issue with it, personally.

George
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Jim Easterbrook

Quote from: Bealman on July 29, 2022, 06:15:14 AM
I know of several members over the years who have been reluctant to reveal their real name, for assorted reasons.

I understand that George, but, to clarify, I like to have a first name by which to address people rather than just using a forum handle like Bealman. I don't need to know anyone's full name. Or even their real name.
Jim Easterbrook
"I'm an engineer, not an artist!"
"Amoro, emptio, utiliso!"
Personal website. / Photos on Flickr. / Blog.

Webbo

My call sign on the NGF is Webbo. My real last name is Webster and Webbo is a nickname that I have had for many years along with a couple of others that I'm not going to divulge. To me, being referred to as Webbo is in fact less formal than being referred to by my true first name which is Ian. . Each to his own with respect to what they like to be called I suppose.

With regards to banter on the forum I'm fully in agreement with JPendle on this topic. I don't really like it when it goes on for more than a reply or two amongst forum insiders. Life is too short to be reading stuff that is not particularly relevant to model railway questions and thoughts.

Webbo

Bealman

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Papyrus

I don't have much of a problem with 'pointless' posts - they can be amusing, or else I just ignore them. What I find more upsetting is not being given thanks for what you hope might be a valuable contribution. I don't know much, so when I ask for help on a particular topic, I always try and at least hit the thumbs-up button, or give a fuller reply if it needs it. On the rare occasion when I have, I hope, been able to answer somebody's question or provide information I find it a bit galling not to receive any acknowledgment.

Cheers,

Chris

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £30.23
Below Goal: £69.77
Site Currency: GBP
30% 
April Donations