Farish/Grafar black 5

Started by Wingman mothergoose, May 12, 2014, 05:43:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wingman mothergoose

I picked up an old Grafar black 5 at the Derby show yesterday, it runs really well now that I've given it a mini service, but a previous owner has covered the BR lined black livery in a fairly thin coat of black paint and LMS decals(think they're waterslide transfers). What is the best way of getting the decals and some of the paint off to reveal the original BR livery without damaging the factory paint and decals? I gave one side of the tender a quick rub with a few cotton buds soaked in track cleaner, but I was wondering if T Cut or something similar would work?

Chris

Roy L S

Quote from: Wingman mothergoose on May 12, 2014, 05:43:27 PM
I picked up an old Grafar black 5 at the Derby show yesterday, it runs really well now that I've given it a mini service, but a previous owner has covered the BR lined black livery in a fairly thin coat of black paint and LMS decals(think they're waterslide transfers). What is the best way of getting the decals and some of the paint off to reveal the original BR livery without damaging the factory paint and decals? I gave one side of the tender a quick rub with a few cotton buds soaked in track cleaner, but I was wondering if T Cut or something similar would work?

Chris

Hi Chris

If you are unsuccessful cleaning the old paint off and it is of any help I have an old Farish Black Five loco body in BR livery number 44911. It is a bit dusty but all the lining and lettering looks intact, it's cab is even glazed with Kristal Clear!

Can't help with a matching tender body though I'm afraid.

Contact me if off list if this is of any use to you.

Regards

Roy

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations