Show your Latest GB Loco and Rolling Stock Purchase.

Started by longbridge, June 30, 2012, 09:05:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lil chris

A few purchases I have made, a s/h gf wagon and a coach, not sure of the make of the coach or what model it is but it is LMS and that is ok for me. I have also bought a GF Mk1 BG full brake coach and a Dapol weathered LMS 7 plank wagon in the Model Railways direct sale.
Lil Chris
My new layout  East Lancashire Railway
My old layout was Irwell Valley Railway.
Layout previous was East Lancashire Lines, changed this new one. My new layout here.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=57193.0

johnlambert

Quote from: lil chris on November 03, 2016, 08:16:00 PM
A few purchases I have made, a s/h gf wagon and a coach, not sure of the make of the coach or what model it is but it is LMS and that is ok for me. I have also bought a GF Mk1 BG full brake coach and a Dapol weathered LMS 7 plank wagon in the Model Railways direct sale.

That looks like a Graham Farish 'generic' mainline coach.  It isn't based on a particular prototype as far as I'm aware.

lil chris

Thanks John, I have a early gf mainline coach and it is vertually the same apart from having LMS on the side.
Lil Chris
My new layout  East Lancashire Railway
My old layout was Irwell Valley Railway.
Layout previous was East Lancashire Lines, changed this new one. My new layout here.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=57193.0

Newportnobby

Quote from: johnlambert on November 03, 2016, 10:33:06 PM

That looks like a Graham Farish 'generic' mainline coach.  It isn't based on a particular prototype as far as I'm aware.

John's right. Looking in my 1983 Farish catalogue it's a 57ft generic coach which Farish just painted different colours dependent on the region as the same one appears under GWR, LMS, Southern and Caledonian.

Les1952

Latest on Hawthorn Dene is this 4-car Farish by Bachmann class 101, from Hammersmith works aka Mr Simon.  Not finished yet as it still needs some work to put the right bits below the frame on the right coaches, and a suitable set of numbers applying for a Gosforth-based set.

View of the whole set.  There is a driver in the front and a tail lamp on the back- Hawthorn Dene is a roundy-roundy as is the next layout Croft Spa, on which construction has begun. The TGS in the middle is a cut-and-shut job, and the whole thing has been repainted from blue into green with CORRECT lining (Farish do theirs too yellow).  Power is still in the brake car, so one driving car is always pushed.

A closer view of the TGS- the set is correctly formed as DMCL - TGS - TSL - DMCL.  If anyone wants to have a look at it running it will be running on Hawthorn Dene at Newcastle show next weekend.  Also running should be my latest A4 (TMC weathered, the M7 to G5 conversion, the Farish/UM/Langley O1 2-8-0 and my Foxhunter K3, together with the usual assortment of NE Region stuff.

If I'm really lucky I'll get the NGS Thompson brake that arrived yesterday weathered a bit.  Otherwise it will have to run clean.

Miss them at Newcastle and you might get to see them at Leamington & Warwick, Bristol, GCR North, Doncaster or Manchester next year, or at Ally Pally or Warley in 2018.

Les

Les1952

Another one that hasn't been seen before-  the second of the Etched Pixels teak-bodied coaches.

This came back from Hammersmith works just before Hawthorn Dene's last outing at the GCR, and ran with the newly upgraded M7.  The coach is the second of the pair.  I built the first - the push-pull driving trailer, and then Mr Simon took it away and put right all of my mistakes.  He decided he would build the second one....

Super model.  The only criticism of the kit is that the coaches end up a long way apart.

The G5 started off as a Dapol M7 and was rebuilt by the late Graham Smith.  DCC Supplies chipped it for me, and it has also had a trip to Hammersmith to have its handrails replaced by correct ones.  As I managed to find a picture of this G5 (67253) with the dome in the middle of the boiler instead of on the front ring that has saved the rather nasty job of moving it forwards. Thank goodness for replacement boilers of different design to the original....

Finally a view of the whole push-pull train. It runs bunker- first as the loco's track-holding is just that little bit better that way round- and it has the advantage of a marginal increase of adhesive weight onto the driving wheels- not a lot but every little helps.  Hopefully the floor at Newcastle will be level enough for the whole train to run.  If we have as steep a hall-floor slope as at the Manchester DCC show earlier this year it might be a bit of a struggle.

Les

PS - yes that is a Dapol Pannier tank in the background.  Until the DJM J94 finally arrives three matchboxes are the front-line power for the colliery, backed up by a Farish 08 and Jinty, and a pair of first-generation J94s that have been carved up a bit.

Webbo

One would expect that running such a loco backwards would provide a bit more traction since the driving wheels are towards the front of the loco. Same principle is seen when a dragster takes off and the front wheels tend to lift off the ground. The torque applied to the slicks shifts the weight of the vehicle towards the back to the point where there is no weight on the front wheels at lift off and all is on the back wheels.  More weight over the driving wheels (whether dragster or locomotive) means more traction from them even though I don't think that the M7 is capable of doing wheelies.

Webbo

johnlambert

Loving the four-car Class 101 Les.

I bought a job lot of Peco wagons on eBay.

Southern wagons

GW and unbranded wagons

Ford pallet vans

Bealman

This thread page is full of lovely stuff! (On me phone, anyhow)  ;)

The G5 is superb, as is everything else on this part of the thread.

Thanks for posting!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Newportnobby

Having got a 3 car class 108 I was very lucky a while back to procure a middle car from a forum member to make up a 4 car set........

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qpfhuhg4yuohap1/Classes%20108%20and%2025%20on%20Kimbolted.MOV?dl=0

marco neri

...never turn you back on the ripper (judas priest)

NeMo

Picked up this lady of a certain age, a Peco 'Jubilee', at TADRail a couple of weeks ago, for the princely sum of £20.

While she ran more or less as she should, she had a missing screw on the valve gear and something else was catching too, which needed sorting, hence what I think is a bit of a bargain price.

@Ozymandias managed to give her the full spa treatment, and she now runs as good as new! Very smooth and quiet. Makes me wonder whether my two Dapol 9Fs will still be running after 30 years!

So here she is, settled onto my current project, 'Quantoxhead Harbour', skirting the cliffs and drawing a few fish vans into the harbour.

Cheers, NeMo

(Former NGS Journal Editor)

NeMo

Quote from: newportnobby on November 07, 2016, 08:21:19 PM
Very nice, too :heart2: What name and number is she getting?

5742 "Connaught". Had wanted 5602 "British Honduras" but Fox don't do plates for that one.  :-\ Belize is where my wife and I had our honeymoon, so would have been very nice indeed!

"Connaught" does have connections for me though, being the hotel in London where my dad started out as a chef, some time in the early 60s.

Cheers, NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

mickster04

I have a Network rail 101 (thanks MRD)
but only have pictures of my Thompson brake (Thanks NGS!) and Traffic services Bogie hopper!

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations