Show your Latest GB Loco and Rolling Stock Purchase.

Started by longbridge, June 30, 2012, 09:05:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bealman

Looks good!  I never knew that Poole  models ever had lighting, either.

Interested to know the beastie's name... on me tablet thingy at the moment and cant make it out.

Cheers, George.  :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

railsquid

Quote from: Bealman on May 19, 2015, 07:20:57 AM
Looks good!  I never knew that Poole  models ever had lighting, either.

Only noticeable at higher speed...
Quote from: Bealman on May 19, 2015, 07:20:57 AMInterested to know the beastie's name... on me tablet thingy at the moment and cant make it out.
"Isambard Kingdom Brunel".

Bealman

Awesome! However, it's ringing warning bells for a transition period modeller like me.... I don't think 47's ever carried name plates during the early 60s. Weren't a few repainted in the two-tone green and named at a later time - like the 80s or 90s?

Genuine question.... I'm really not sure....  :thumbsup:

George

About the lighting, I know you love pulling the things apart and gettin' stuck into them.... perhaps the lighting is grain-of-wheat, not LEDs, if it is Poole era? Would explain it only coming on at high speed....  :hmmm:

railsquid

Quote from: Bealman on May 19, 2015, 07:39:52 AM
Awesome! However, it's ringing warning bells for a transition period modeller like me.... I don't think 47's ever carried name plates during the early 60s. Weren't a few repainted in the two-tone green and named at a later time - like the 80s or 90s?

Nor was I. Apparently named in 1965 a few weeks after entering service:
http://www.class47.co.uk/c47_numbers.php?s_loco=47484

Some more info

About the lighting, I know you love pulling the things apart and gettin' stuck into them....
Amusingly the registration/guarantee card remarks "Above all, resist the temptation to dismantle out of idle curiosity:angel:

Quote from: Bealman on May 19, 2015, 07:39:52 AMperhaps the lighting is grain-of-wheat, not LEDs, if it is Poole era? Would explain it only coming on at high speed....  :hmmm:
From that era it would certainly be grain-of-wheat. Not sure when LEDs became widespread, I assume some time in the early 2000s.

Bealman

So Squiddy... you haven't pulled it apart yet? What's goin' on? Slowin' up?!  ;D

George

Newportnobby

George

From 1966 Combined Volume, George..........
D1660 City of Truro
D1661 North Star
D1662 Isambard Kingdom Brunel
D1663 Sir Daniel Gooch
D1664 George Jackson Churchward
D1665 Titan
D1666 Odin
D1667 Atlas
D1668 Orion
D1669 Python
D1672 Colossus
D1673 Cyclops
D1674 Samson
D1675 Amazon
D1676 Vulcan
D1677 Thor

All WR based locos and I had spotted all but 3 of them :(

CarriageShed

Quote from: railsquid on May 19, 2015, 07:06:49 AM
From the recent random Ebay haul, now I have time to sort through it, this Poole-era Class 47 in pretty good condition:

Alas the registration card appears to be for the model which previously occupied the box (some kind of kettle) so I'm not sure when it was made; if anyone has an idea, I'd be interested to know.

If 1811 was the old Farish catalogue number then the card was for a Coronation class 4-6-2 loco in LMS or BR colours, probably either City of Glasgow or City of Hereford (both seemed to have used the same Cat No).

Dr Al

Quote from: Pete33 on May 19, 2015, 12:59:09 PM
City of Glasgow or City of Hereford (both seemed to have used the same Cat No).

It would be City of Glasgow as the latter only came along in the mid 1990s when Farish chose to refresh the numbers and names on many of the models.

HTH,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

SymonC

keerout

Oh happy day..  :thumbsup:
I understand, that my tanks by train pack is also on the way (hope it arrives in one piece)
Gerard  :wave:

railsquid

Quote from: Bealman on May 19, 2015, 08:30:15 AM
So Squiddy... you haven't pulled it apart yet? What's goin' on? Slowin' up?!  ;D

For pulling apart I have the non-brass-geared 47455 (catalogue number 8005):

Body sits loose on the chassis and is missing multiple buffers. Apart from the gearing it seems identical to the above-mentioned D1662, including the lighting. Runs very smoothly and is of course much quieter than the brass-geared D1662, though with the same "electrical" smell.

Unfortunately the livery accentuates the cab windows, which are in my humblest of opinions somewhat lacking in "Duff-ness", and which make it look as if it has some Hymek in its immediate ancestry:

(On the right, reasonably current BachFar "47404 Hadrian").

Dr Al

The whole 'face' of the old 47 is a bit stretched vertically, but you don't notice so much until placed next to the  current more accurate model. Looks too like the roof grilles next to the fan grilles have been given a black wash aswell by a previous owner.

Electrical smell implies it hasn't been used for a bit and/or needs a decent overhaul.

Cheers,
Alan

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

jivebunny

Quote from: SymonC on May 19, 2015, 02:17:56 PM

Very nice. Seriously considering getting one of these sets myself, since Duchess of Hamilton's seven-year stint out on the main line in preservation just happens to coincide with my planned layout's time period and location... £130 for a pacific, three new Mk1s and a nice little signal box is incredibly good value, even if you throw the track and controller out (that's really all that nasty Bachmann controller is good for anyway!)

JB

Dr Al

Quote from: jivebunny on May 19, 2015, 07:37:39 PM
even if you throw the track and controller out (that's really all that nasty Bachmann controller is good for anyway!

There is no track/controller - it's only a train pack, not a full set.

Cheers,
Alan

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations