Windows 10 lockups

Started by austinbob, January 02, 2016, 07:00:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldman

Don't worry yet, just done an update on mine as I was going to sort out a few of the apps.
Nothing yet sorted for our phones from what the web tells me.
Modelling stupid small scale using T gauge track and IDl induction track. Still have  N gauge but not the space( Japanese Trams) Excuse spelling errors please, posting on mobile phone

Mr Sprue

Quote from: Oldman on January 02, 2016, 07:07:56 PM
Glad I have resisted upgrading so far.

Wise move  ;)

It will take a bit more convincing to get me to upgrade from trusty old 7

MikeDunn

Quote from: austinbob on January 02, 2016, 08:43:56 PM
Windows 10 was installed when it first came out. No way back now except computer factory reset - I don't want to do that.
:beers:
So get the "best" of both worlds - buy yourself a new disk & restore Win7 onto that ... OK, you still need to put all your apps etc onto it, but you retain the Win10 disk (and if you're sensible & buy a suitable caddy, you can use that to recover the data from).  This way, you can use either Win7 or Win10, depending on your mood ...

austinbob

Quote from: MikeDunn on January 03, 2016, 10:48:02 AM
Quote from: austinbob on January 02, 2016, 08:43:56 PM
Windows 10 was installed when it first came out. No way back now except computer factory reset - I don't want to do that.
:beers:
So get the "best" of both worlds - buy yourself a new disk & restore Win7 onto that ... OK, you still need to put all your apps etc onto it, but you retain the Win10 disk (and if you're sensible & buy a suitable caddy, you can use that to recover the data from).  This way, you can use either Win7 or Win10, depending on your mood ...
Too much like hard work I think Mike.
I've been investigating and found that I had about a dozen old drivers which could be replaced by newer (much) versions.
I've updated them all now so we'll see if that makes a difference to the crashes. However, it will be very difficult to know if things have improved. Sometimes the computer would crash several times a day and then no problem for a couple of weeks!!  :hmmm: :beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Calnefoxile

I must admit that even after my reluctance to upgrade to Windows 10, so far ( touch wood, fingers crossed, rub lucky rabbits foot, make sure I have lucky pants on etc.) I haven't had any issues, although I was annoyed to discover that Minesweeper has disappeared   :thumbsdown:  :thumbsdown:

I'm using Office 2010 and that seems to work fine, another little niggle is that I can't seem to make my Favourites icons on the Favourites bar small, like I could in IE, anyone know how??

Other than those little niggles, I actually quite like it, so far, as long as nothing goes wrong  ;)

Regards

Neal.

Oldman

Austinbob which windows phone have you got because some may not take the upgrade when they eventually think about it.
My Nokia 520 runs 8.1 and is one that is one that the upgrade is currently NOT on the radar. :thumbsup:
Modelling stupid small scale using T gauge track and IDl induction track. Still have  N gauge but not the space( Japanese Trams) Excuse spelling errors please, posting on mobile phone

MikeDunn

Quote from: austinbob on January 03, 2016, 11:16:13 AM
Too much like hard work I think Mike.
Pah, some people  :P

Good luck on those drivers !  Personally, I'm staying on Win7 ... might run up a new Win10 VM, see how the current version is (compared to the original release), but then again I might not  ::)

austinbob

Quote from: Oldman on January 03, 2016, 12:33:53 PM
Austinbob which windows phone have you got because some may not take the upgrade when they eventually think about it.
My Nokia 520 runs 8.1 and is one that is one that the upgrade is currently NOT on the radar. :thumbsup:
I've got a Lumia 930 which is definitely on the list for upgrade. :beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

dave d

Installed W10 on my PC. Great for the first 6-8 weeks then the automatic upgrades were installed  :doh:
That's when it all started to go slow, hang and made me glad I had kept it off mine and my wife's laptop. Also told the daughter to hold on. She has W8 on her laptop and finds it OK  :)
Biggest issue is with the new features and functionality. E-mail with W10 is a return to the dark ages: none of the true functionality associated with Outlook seems to be present at first (batch deletion, scam and spam lockouts, phishing lockouts etc). At least some of them are being addressed - slowly. Edge and News are the same and not really updated. Good to read for the misspellings and often wrong info.
Considering upgrading PC due to photography use - Mac would be ideal but very expensive but advice suggests a custom built machine. Will NOT be installing W10.

Jon898

Quote from: dave d on January 03, 2016, 01:25:55 PM

Considering upgrading PC due to photography use - Mac would be ideal but very expensive but advice suggests a custom built machine.

May be worth pricing a Mac mini since you probably have the peripherals needed already.  Just be sure to go with 8MB RAM as anything less can be slow and max out the HDD as upgrading is a bear.  One caveat is that the new version of the as-delivered photo software (Photos as opposed to iPhoto) seems to have lost some functionality, but then I'm not a photography expert by any means and most of those will be using a high-end software package anyway.  When pricing, remember that Mac's come with all the functional software most people need built in and they seem to be able to "play nice" with MS files now (e.g. my wife is editing a book on her iMac and exchanging files with authors in Word with no issues).  I changed to Mac after 20-ish years of MS with no regrets.

On another thread about W10 I commented that people should remember what Adam said to Eve "if you're that frustrated, go get an Apple!"  Of course Mike Dunn considered that to be the root of all evil...but now we find out he's still on W7  :P

Jon

MikeDunn

Quote from: Jon898 on January 03, 2016, 02:02:26 PM
Of course Mike Dunn considered that to be the root of all evil...but now we find out he's still on W7  :P
:P :P :P  And I'm also a user of Jessie ::)

Apples are for arty-farty things  >:D  That being said, given Dave D's desired usage it may be best for him.  Depends, of course, how much he has tied up in Windows apps ...

Dave, a custom PC may not be that much ... if you're capable of putting together components, building one yourself can be very cost-effective.  Especially if you get a mobo with the CPU/cooler already deployed (saves messing about with thermal paste), as it's then pretty simple.

dave d

Words to the wise - if you have Outlook already, keep it active. W10 e-mail archive DOES NOT archive. Next update - all gone  :o :thumbsdown:
No way to get it back - one of the number of issues with the new e-mail app.

dave d

Sorry - meant to add: Outlook kept alive will still have the archive.
Brain must have had a W10 upgrade  :worried:

EtchedPixels

I thought the upgrade option on a Windows phone went to Amazon and bought you an Android or iphone 8)
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

dannyboy

Quote from: EtchedPixels on January 03, 2016, 08:09:12 PM
I thought the upgrade option on a Windows phone went to Amazon and bought you an Android or iphone 8)

:laughabovepost: No wonder you are hiding behind dark glasses  :no: - nowt wrong with Nokia Lumia. I have a 1020 64GB and have refused to even think about changing it! No sign of any phone upgrade in Ireland yet.  :). David.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations