SSD with Win XP fails to boot up and open Windows

Started by geoffc, September 24, 2015, 11:15:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

geoffc

My main computer runs Win XP and has two HDDs one is used for storage and the other a SSD has the operating system and programs on it. Unfortunately it has some files on it which I had not transferred to the storage HDD when it crashed.
The problem is that the computer fails to boot up, Windows starts to boot up then stops and locks the computer. I tried to boot from the XP CD and altered the start up menu to boot from the CD first but it is still the same. When I try to initiate the recovery part of the CD it will only partially work and then the screen is covered in script.
I then gave up and took it to the local computer shop and they diagnosed the motherboard was faulty.
I can recover the data on the storage HDD by putting it into my second computer but I would like to recover the files from the SSD. If the motherboard was u/s in computer one I reasoned that if I disconnected the existing drive in computer two and installed the SSD in computer two it should boot up and I could copy the files onto a CD or DVD.
I could not boot up computer two using the SSD, I had the same problems, I then reconnected computer twos original HDD and connected the SSD as a slave, the computer failed to recognise the SSD.
Can anyone suggest a way that I can retrieve the files from the SSD, I am not worried about the programs as I have the CDs for these.
Geoff

FeelixTC

Sounds like you need some sort of File Recovery/Disk Tools software.

You can buy USB to IDE/SATA cables which would allow you to connect the SSD to your working computer. I'd start there.

MalcolmInN

caveat - I have not tried this with newfangled SSDs
only a long time ago with IDE HDs !

Google " USB caddy " or " USB enclosure "
these are boxes that you can put your drive in and then treat it as any other storage device.
Maybe !

It sounds odd that it can not be seen as a slave though, so maybe the above will not work, maybe the dead m/b took the drive with it :(
Does your local oldee computer shopee not offer data recovery ? our local man diagnoses dead m/b and offers data recovery for £20, or free if it is to be recovered to the new computer which he supplies.

EDIT Ooops, so busy typing, XXed in the post with Felix ! :)

cjdodd

geoffc

Quote from: cjdodd on September 24, 2015, 01:09:38 PM
i have a more expensive version of one of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/All-in-1-2-x-USB-Port-Dual-SATA-IDE-2-5-3-5-Hard-Disk-Drive-Dock-Station-Caddy-/321836732883?hash=item4aeef6d1d3

Plugs into your USB port and then you drop the hard drive into it.

Thanks I have just ordered one, if it doesn't work at least I can use the good HDD in it as extra storage.

Geoff

Rabs

I'm afraid that I can't help with the problem but if you do manage to recover your data may I suggest that you upgrade your OS? You might not be aware that Windows XP does not officially support SSDs.  It treats them like HDDs so doesn't make any effort to keep the number of write-cycles down (which is the limiting factor on SSD life).  As a result the life expectancy of SSDs on XP is much shorter than on more modern operating systems.  Add to that the lack of any security updates for the last 18 months...

MikeDunn

Not to mention user profiles, and the MS Updates ... they eat up space like tomorrow is cancelled ...

dave d

If you can install your SSD in a USB connectable caddy so that it acts as an external hard drive then the use of RescuePro (think there is a free period use before you have to buy) or CardRecovery should work to recover files. I use RescueProDeluxe as my insurance for retrieving files. About £25 for annual subscription - has worked retrieving files for daughter and some of my friends. So far not had to use it for my stuff  :)
Hope this helps

keithfre

Quote from: Rabs on September 24, 2015, 01:17:13 PM
You might not be aware that Windows XP does not officially support SSDs.  It treats them like HDDs so doesn't make any effort to keep the number of write-cycles down (which is the limiting factor on SSD life).  As a result the life expectancy of SSDs on XP is much shorter than on more modern operating systems. 
This is true, but I have a Samsung SSD that I installed on an XP system in Nov. 2011 and it's still going strong. I have disabled the page file and hibernation, though.

MikeDunn

dave d

Been accused of things many and varied throughout my life but this is first time possibly been accused of "raising the dead"  :D
Replied without looking at the date  :-[  but still hope info was of some use  :)

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations