First motorbike

Started by MalcolmInN, April 21, 2015, 10:52:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MalcolmInN

Sorry to hear of NPNs probs with a car depriving him of motorbiking in that other thread,
thort I'd start similar on 'bikes' :

My first, a BSA Bantam Bushman ( but at the time I didna know it was a Bushman ! )
then a Tiger Cub,
and without further messing about I upgraded to a Vincent Comet and a Rapide in Shadow trim (carbs, compression etc. but never aquired a 'big clock' to complete its transmogrification ! )

Komata

Thanks for asking - it will be interesting to see what the membership have owned over the years.

For myself, the only 'bike that I ever owned was a 1974 Suzuki GT250K. A fabulous little bike which did some very long journeys, but which was unfortunately involved in a major prang which injured my then fiancee (later wife). The accident confirmed the fact that cars are inherently far safer than motor bikes.  After its repair, the 'Suzi' was sold (very, very reluctantly I might add).  Twenty years later an 'excursion' into scooters followed, but as they couldn't get out of their own way (especially on hills) these 'toys' weren't even in the same parking lot let alone being in possession of the same 'pedigree'. 
"TVR - Serving the Northern Taranaki . . . "

ozzie Bill.

honestly not sure, I owned a lot of bikes over the years. I think that the first was either a D3 bantam or a 250 Villiers engined trial bike with sprung front hub, not sure of the make but it may have been a Cotton. Then onto a G3 Matchless, a Benelli 250, a Suzi super 6, a 450 Duke, a 400cb 4 Honda, a Domi or 650ss Norton - really not sure, a little Goldie, CD175 Honda, Yammie 250 and a few others. Current - another Honda - NC750S.
Definitely NO H-D's, Kwackers, Urals, Jawa's or similar!!
Cheers, Bill.

GrahamB

Started with a Honda C70 step through (Dad had a C50 and I wanted the extra power  :smiley-laughing:
Moved up to a Honda CB125.
Nearly bought a Norton 850 Commando (Brand new). Dealer refused to put right some issues I'd pointed out on the bike (Split footrest, mark on the tank etc) so I walked away and bought a Suzuki GT250K.
Moved up to a Suzuki GS400.
Then up to a Yamaha XS750.
Got married.
Yamaha needed a new exhaust so I bought a GL1100 Goldwing. Now it gets boring because my next bikes were;
GL1200 Goldwing, GL1500 Goldwing,
Triumph Tiger 750,
GL1000 Goldwing, GL1100 Goldwing, GL1500 Goldwing and I still own it.
Tonbridge MRC Member.
My Southwark Bridge thread can be found at https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38683.0
My Southwark Bridge website can be found at https://southwarkbridge.wixsite.com/ngauge

petercharlesfagg

Not a motorcycle but it was the only transport I could afford when I was out working at 16.

A Raleigh moped with (3) gears 49 cc and a top speed of 30 mph, mind you it did cover about 120 miles to the gallon!

Happy days!

Peter.
Each can do but little, BUT if each did that little, ALL would be done!

Life is like a new sewer pipe, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!

A day without laughter is a day wasted!

Bob Tidbury

I HATE motor bikes BUT Val did buy a brand new motorbike and side car she used to take my son and daughter to school in it but it developed a fault and she always had trouble starting it ( later after selling it we found out it was a faulty kill switch) she then had a Honda 250 and cheated because it had an electric start . Her Dad was a bike fan and always wanted a Vincent but couldn't afford one so when Vals brother came along they called him Vincent he also is a bike fan and has had several high powered bikes over the years I can't remember the makes but he has a Triumph Twin Sport I think that's what it's called.
Bob

oscar

No particular order, except the first was a 1934 BSA 250 with tank gear change, cost me 3 quid. Lambretta 150. Ariel square 4 with chair, BSA 250, 350, 500.Triumph 500 twin and a few I can't remember.
Oh, the last one was a Honda 250 in the '70s which I rode once and decided the roads were too damned dangerous for two wheelers!

Railwaygun

I started witha reconditioned Honda C50 (£50)
then a Suzuki 200 invader 2 stroke
then a Ducati 350 Single ( Desmo ) at college - lovely bike, lousy electrics
Suzuki 500 2 stroke (great for working as Soho motorcycle courier in vacs)
Honda 450 Black Bomber - stripped a spark plug thread so had it in bits in my college bathroom!
BMW 69s - leading link front forks - a bath to ride

and finally BMW R75 - given away 25 yrs ago

now on pedal-cycle!!

Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind;
Ecclesiastes 2:11

This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!

https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

NGF Military threads

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?board=146.0

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

FeelixTC

'Motorbike' may well be stretching it, but this was my first motorised transport; cost a fiver

And then I <cough> 'upgraded' to (50 mph!! Beat all my mates) one of these....

17th birthday I had my first driving lesson, passed my test 3 months later and never rode (or pushed)  a bike again.

.........Still quite fancy a 'Bretta though  :goggleeyes:

Malc

My first motorised transport was a NSU Quickly, a misnomer if ever there was one. 50cc of raw, pulsating power. It had pedals, which you needed if there was a hill steeper than 1%. I left home and the NSU behind and later bought a LI150 Lambretta scooter, no tax, insurance or MOT to run about on the aerial field when I worked at Caversham. Left it behind when I moved to Brum in 1971. Bought a Honda c100 then a 175. Passed my driving test in a mini, never road a bike again in anger.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Tank

My first bike that I owned was a Yamaha DT50.  Then a couple of Kawasaki KMX125's (one I still have).

I am due to inherit (awful to say!) an Ariel NG that was made for WW2.  All original, just needs a repaint.

My dad is a biker and is in a large bike club (I used to be in it as well), and he has had probably over a hundred bikes.  All clapped out old things and only owned one from new, which ended up under a lorry on the M20 after two weeks. :-\ ;D

mr bachmann

its amazing what you learn on here - a Raleigh moped with 3 speed and a 250 Lammy scooter  :D

first (only) bike was a 250 twin BSA Sunbeam scooter , got a good soaking during a thunderstorm - passed the bike test then went on to 3 wheels , but that was to fall apart as the car had reverse and another test was needed !

Newportnobby

Started off with a Raleigh 'Roma' 80cc scooter bought for £15 which promptly seized up and chucked me down the road, so binned that and bought a new Honda 50cc (not the step-thru) then progressed to a CZ 250cc (ring-ding-ding) and formed the Northampton Motor Cycle Club with some friends. Having passed my test I went for a Triumph Tiger 500cc and helped form the Northampton branch of the Triumph Owners Club (Nulli Secundus). Moved on to a Triumph Tiger 750cc and thence to a 750cc Bonneville.
Organised and ran to many bike rallies all over the country and did a tour of Europe on the Tiger 750 (Belgium, Luxembourg, Holland, Germany, Switzerland and France in 2 weeks)
Had to sell the Bonnie when a car crash knackered my right arm in 2 places :'(
Still think of getting another bike but I just know as a 'born again' biker I'd probably kill myself on it :worried:

barkfast

First bike (only a few years ago) was a Sachs Madass (125cc)

Current ride is a Harley Iron

The best thing about riding a Harley is that cars dont seem to mind you lane splitting  :D

Malc

Quote from: mr bachmann on April 22, 2015, 01:48:11 PM
its amazing what you learn on here - a Raleigh moped with 3 speed and a 250 Lammy scooter  :D

first (only) bike was a 250 twin BSA Sunbeam scooter , got a good soaking during a thunderstorm - passed the bike test then went on to 3 wheels , but that was to fall apart as the car had reverse and another test was needed !
Well spotted, it was a LI 150.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £100.23
Above Goal: £0.23
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
April Donations