Dapol HST East Coast

Started by marco neri, June 15, 2019, 08:07:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robert shrives

Yes looking at web pics  I guess red was on the livery diagrams from VTEC, still easy and soon done with a matt dark grey not black with a hint of track brown. Hope to get mine Thursday 

Robert   

davidinyork

Quote from: robert shrives on June 25, 2019, 02:42:43 PM
Only red for first few days soon a matt grunge/black/ body parts colour ! soon done with a matt dark grey not black with a hint of track brown.

Robert   

I'm just surprised that Dapol got that wrong - it's very obvious just from looking at a photo of the real power cars that the grilles are black, and it should have been easily noticed when final samples were being checked.

robert shrives

Hi What was fun was getting the coach swirls to sit on the models from 2D artwork, that tool several iterations!!

Best part is since artwork was done I think the buffet gt admeded to look more like a TRUB/ TRFB  with no black on fourth window and now its got the Hull promotional art work on the sides - Hopefully  Steve at Railtec can work his magic.

As with all "press releases" it is often the simple ones that get past checking - date wrong being common! A complex livery - I think the folk responsible like teasing modellers and model companies - like the LUL liveries !
Robert 

njee20

I'm not surprised at Dapol getting anything wrong anymore.

Ignoring that, it looks a great rendition of a complex livery though.

davidinyork

Quote from: robert shrives on June 25, 2019, 02:53:58 PM
Best part is since artwork was done I think the buffet gt admeded to look more like a TRUB/ TRFB  with no black on fourth window and now its got the Hull promotional art work on the sides - Hopefully  Steve at Railtec can work his magic.

That artwork which makes the very false claim of 'It's never dull in Hull'? (I go there with work a lot, and it has to be said that it isn't among the most exciting places!)

robert shrives

The power of marketing !! The station certainly never the same after the 123/124 fleets were finished. But at least somebody is making an effort to silk purse it - a visitor has only to spend once and leave neutrally impressed to be a success. It is easier to get a first time visitor to spread the word if impression is neutral to good rather than climb out of a negative hole ...   
Robert   

robert shrives

Quote from: njee20 on June 25, 2019, 03:01:25 PM
I'm not surprised at Dapol getting anything wrong anymore.

Ignoring that, it looks a great rendition of a complex livery though.
thanks my small involvement was looking at pictures to get register points on the mark for the coaches - it looks right so hopefully it works. Despite the generally fair shape this livery does show the age and origination of the model. At least the TGS has now been made.

Even so getting factory staff in China to grasp the finer points has been uphill - a common story and one that ought after 20 years in China you would have thought better would be standard, the reviews of many hobby products show it to be a common thread - perhaps some level of OCD/ pickyness abounds but right is right and near enough is not. Yet you can get worn down.  As ever its a complex equation of cost of everything- and sales price expectation, quality, availability of labour and product confidence by money suppliers plus despite the internet of all things the distances - dropping to Manchester to discuss tooling is not the same as many hours in a plane so things do go wrong.   All often discussed here on many models.
At least its a hobby and modelling is always a posibility, off to put Ultima roof vents into a 3d print cross country DMU on the vain hope that by finishing this an RTR one will help everybody else ! Same with my 153 into 155 projects - not sure on RR or Yorkshire livery. Also I have just done an anglia 156 - none possible with out Dapol helping with the "foundations."
Robert     

njee20

Showing its age? It's a pretty recently tooled model...?

robert shrives

Hi
Time flies it was 2009 the model was first announced. Along with a 67 , Terrier, 58, 86 and DVT.
10 years is a long time in politics....
True not that long in the model world but developments have been quite dramatic in that time.
The PCB boards have or are being "NEXT 18 -ed" but without tooling changes nothing else.  I guess other than PCB to control CDL lights and internals not much could be added.
Robert   

njee20

But that makes it more recent than loads of models. Just surprised that it's being referred to as "showing its age". Whether it's the best representation is something else...

davidinyork

The HST is a good model, but I don't think it's as good as Dapol's 68, or even their earlier 67.

It's also let down a bit by the lack of detail variations - apart from the light clusters, the same bodyshell is used for all models. This is in contrast to, say, the recent Farish 40s where the minor variations (boiler exhausts, etc) have been correctly depicted.

robert shrives

The front skirt is changeable to allow the buffer fitted version. I have asked about variations in deflectors and will do again as now GWR have a short version - easy to modify with a scalpel and a square.

The moulds allow  window or window less guardsside windows    but all have the coolant cutout mod in the main grill side which was not on the early blue grey sets - it was a modification that grew and eventually became offical, first pipes were just stuffed through a slat.

The variations in headlghts is a right feast ! Made worse by bi colour LEDs now in use - all to keep us safe!!  I would love a 68 style chassis over the funny plastic base plated affairs that Dave Jones led on. The Kato option form CJM on the Farish one is whisper quiet and really is only just being matched with the 50 and 68 chassis that the Dapol team have developed recently.  There is quite a tooling "game" to loose the mini plugs system and reworkring for light quides- all cost which we will see added on. At least the boards in these versions are Next 18 which others have shown allows much easier sound developements.
Keeps us all busy I guess !
Robert

davidinyork

The most noticeable area which the tooling doesn't accomodate is the roof - the exhaust ports are OK with a deflector, but wrong for the recent liveries without deflectors. The cooler groups are based on the Marston type, and can do the Voith ones as those have the same layout with grilles rather than slats, but it can't represent the Serck or the Brush types.

Will the forthcoming model of the prototype HST have a new chassis, I wonder, or the existing one with a new circuit board?

Steven B

Quote from: robert shrives on June 25, 2019, 02:42:43 PM
Yes looking at web pics  I guess red was on the livery diagrams from VTEC, still easy and soon done with a matt dark grey not black with a hint of track brown.

Hornby got the colour right on their OO Gauge version. I would assume that they worked from the same VTEC livery diagram, and both would have had to get Virgin to sign off the model's artwork.

Steven B.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations