Virgin Media

Started by guest311, August 15, 2019, 09:09:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guest311

everything really slow today, disconnected a couple of times, just done a speed check and

Ping
<1 ms
Download
1.16 Mbps
Upload
542.79 Kbps

I know I'm using wi-fi, but not anywhere near 100mb promised, and I'm not more than the promised 100 metre from the modem, one floor up and about 20 foot away  >:(

looks like another fight with the 'customer services computer voice'

might quote @Buffin's info, see if that makes any difference.

Skyline2uk

Quote from: class37025 on August 16, 2019, 01:36:52 PM
everything really slow today, disconnected a couple of times, just done a speed check and

Ping
<1 ms
Download
1.16 Mbps
Upload
542.79 Kbps

I know I'm using wi-fi, but not anywhere near 100mb promised, and I'm not more than the promised 100 metre from the modem, one floor up and about 20 foot away  >:(

looks like another fight with the 'customer services computer voice'

might quote @Buffin's info, see if that makes any difference.

Absolutely should, you are not getting what you paid for.

Skyline2uk

guest311

just re-run the speed test and results now

Ping
1 ms
Download
10.27 Mbps
Upload
683.03 Kbps

just don't get it, but not happy, think I'll demand an engineer check it,  that is if I can get to speak to a human  :'(

guest311

and now

Ping
1 ms
Download
5.84 Mbps
Upload
9.08 Mbps

are these sort of variations normal, or do they point towards a cause ?

Dorsetmike

Virgin; Ping 17ms, down 92.35  up 6.03
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

guest311

and here again

Ping
<1 ms
Download
1.64 Mbps
Upload
1.59 Mbps

were you on wi-fi or a cable ?

signalman1

I'm getting 400.27mps d/load and 21.12 upload on Virgin  :thumbsup:

guest311

guest311

latest test  :censored:

Ping
1 ms
Download
558.00 Kbps
Upload
593.13 Kbps

supposedly 100 mb, and according to them 'nothing wrong with our network'  :help:

Dorsetmike

Quotewere you on wi-fi or a cable ?

Fibre optic cable. Originally had it for cable TV back in the '90s, then AOL  around 2005/6 ish, they handed over to NTL which became part of Virgin some time after. I could get faster if I paid more but I'm satisfied with "up to 100" for all ~I want to do.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

guest311

sorry, I meant was your download speed check done by wi-fi or on a computer connected to the 'modem' by a cable.

at present listening to the 19th minute of  :poop: music while waiting to actually speak to a human. totally ignored the computer voice after selecting option 1 'tv, landline or broadband

guest311

got a human,  :thumbsup:

now waiting to speak to a customer service manager , more music,  :thumbsdown:

guest311

guest311

apparently I need to use a LAN cable to get a proper download speed check. explained several times that I do not have a 50 ft LAN cable, but idiot not listening, finally blew my stack, said forget it, phoning ofcom monday.

the system asks for characters from my pass word, but won't recognise them. :censored:

where is a Reaper when you want one

MJKERR

100 Mbps is their own product (Virgin Media infrastructure)
Sounds to me like they are using someone else infrastructure, most likely BT, performing a tracert will confirm this
However, as mentioned previously, you need to test the speed of the modem which you can do by logging into it

My own Hub3, connected to Virgin Media infrastructure) returns 85Mbps
However, browser based test currently return 2Mbps and this is due to peak time connection, off-peak it is nearer to 45Mbps

My first Hub3 lasted a few weeks and suffered intermittent connections
I phoned four times a day, every day, and after five days they confirmed it was faulty, replaced the following day

If the service does not match what you expect then complain, and complain, and complain
Equally, each time obtain a case reference number

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations