Digital Vernier Callipers - advice please

Started by silly moo, August 15, 2019, 06:17:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

silly moo

I would like to get my husband some digital vernier callipers for his birthday, my son has 'borrowed' his old set. I thought they would make a good practical present that I could borrow occasionally to check back to backs.

After looking on the internet and on eBay I'm now completely confused  :doh: by the sheer range in prices anything from £2 up to £800!

What should I be looking out for and what would be a reasonable price to pay for them? My husband is a mountain biker and occasional fixer of our car.

Thanks in anticipation.

ntpntpntp

I bought mine in Lidl  many years ago, it's a useful bit of kit.  Obviously didn't pay much for it - less than £10 - and it's been fine.   

I think I saw them in the "middle of Lidl" very recently  :D
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Paul-H

Aldi have had them in recent weeks as well

Unless they are needed for a machine shop were they will see heavy everyday use the low price ones from Aldi & Lidl do work well
Please excuse any poor spelling, I am Dyslexic, just think yourself lucky if you can actually read what I typed.

All tiepin as bean spell chequed on mi Pea Sea

geoffc

Regarding battery life, always lock the sliding jaw closed after use before turning off. Any slight movement of the jaw switches the calipers on. I use a pair from Aldi and find they are accurate enough for what I need.

Geoff

Mr Sprue

Anything under £10 is not going to be that good in quality if accuracy is paramount.

However I must confess I do possess a digital vernier purchased from Aldi which is only used for measuring bits an pieces in my office, one thing I have noticed comparing the Aldi one to the Starrett I use in my workshop is that the Aldi one loves batterys even though I always make sure its switched off after use.

If your looking to buy hubby something value for money Then then this Digital Vernier Caliper would'nt be a bad choice for the price, Its hardened stainless and has a nice big N Gauger user friendly display!

Mr Sprue

Quote from: geoffc on August 16, 2019, 09:07:46 AM
Regarding battery life, always lock the sliding jaw closed after use before turning off. Any slight movement of the jaw switches the calipers on. I use a pair from Aldi and find they are accurate enough for what I need.

Geoff

How can that happen Geoff if they are placed correctly in the foam inset of the case  :confused1:  For the benefit of doubt I've just shook the case quite violently to test your claim and they didn't switch back on!

geoffc

Quote from: Mr Sprue on August 16, 2019, 09:19:49 AM
Quote from: geoffc on August 16, 2019, 09:07:46 AM

Geoff

How can that happen Geoff if they are placed correctly in the foam inset of the case  :confused1:  For the benefit of doubt I've just shook the case quite violently to test your claim and they didn't switch back on!

When the jaw is moved on the model I have it automatically switches the caliper on. I do not have a foam insert in my case it is a hard insert, when the calipers are in the recess they can move, if not locked they switch on.
It would appear that you have a different model/ case to me.

Geoff

Bealman

Maybe we need a set of calipers to measure the packaging and sort this out ;)
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

swisstrains

My case DOES have a foam insert and if you shake the box sometimes the caliper WILL switch on. It all depends on how you shake it. :D
Like Nobby, I take the battery out when not in use.

ntpntpntp

My cheapo set has an on/off button, no problems with it auto-switching on.   I just turn it on with the jaws closed and press reset/zero before using it.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

swisstrains

Mine is also a cheapo set and also has an on/off button but it will still switch on automatically  ;)

Trainfish

Quote from: swisstrains on August 16, 2019, 11:14:17 AM
My case DOES have a foam insert and if you shake the box sometimes the caliper WILL switch on. It all depends on how you shake it. :D
Like Nobby, I take the battery out when not in use.

I've got an idea, don't shake it  :D
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Mr Sprue

Aw well as they say you only get what you pay for!  :D

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations