Fish van train

Started by Newportnobby, August 30, 2019, 10:06:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

As the title suggests, I am thinking of putting together a fish van train but would appreciate some advice please. Peco and Dapol seem to be the available RTR go to's, but the Peco version seems £3 cheaper than the Dapol version (£7.75 v £10.92). I don't mind paying the difference if I'm getting a better product for my dosh.
Does anyone have experience of both versions?

crewearpley40

mick

this link from 5 years ago may help

Peco versus Dapol Blue Spot Fish Vans

i would plump for dapol

The Dapol Model Features:

Highly detailed body with rib and chassis detail finely moulded
Accurately applied livery
NEM pockets
Profiled wheels
Accessory Bag with long and short knuckle couplers
Compatible with Easi-Fit magnetic couplers

sounds personally like more realistic hope helps make your decision chris

NeMo

There's no comparison here really.

The PECO van isn't at all accurate, but an approximation designed to fit on an existing chassis. The Dapol van is the correct length (substantially shorter) and while there's not much between them in terms of the clarity of the lettering, at least the lettering on the Dapol one is appropriate to the model in question!

Cheers, NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

crewearpley40

i would aim for dapol's van maybe try one - to check wheels , couplings

still matter of preference then neil / mick ?

chris

NeMo

I've got a bunch of the Dapol ones, including three as fish vans, and at least five of the parcels version. In the top photo you can see one next to a Bachmann insulated 12ton van, and you can easily see that it has an odd wheelbase length. The second photo has three of them in a short rake, to give you some idea of what they look like as a group.

I think they're nice vans, but their use was a bit limited in terms of time and geographical location. I think this is why they aren't especially popular, and I'm fairly sure most of mine were secondhand on Hattons.

Cheers, NeMo

Bealman

Agree with all of the above.

The Peco fish vans are not accurate at all, but back in the days when I thought I'd finish my layout, I had plans to run huge long trains of fish vans with a Minitrix A4 streamlined Pacific.

I'd read somewhere that it used to happen, probably overnight, I guess.

It's something that I'd still like to do, and for cost effectiveness, the Peco vans would be the only way to go.

I'm talking a dozen vans or more, and I reckon that, incorrect or not, a long train of the Peco wagons would look darn impressive behind an A4.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

NGS-PO

I think the Dapol model more accurately replicates an actual prototype, whereas the Peco one is quite generic, from mmory length is the biggest issue. That may or may not be an issue for you.

It's also worth remembering that many fish trains, as well as running with Blue Spot Fish Vans, may also have included insulated containers on conflat wagons, along with insulated 12T type vans.

https://flic.kr/p/cTqQis

http://www.davesrailpics.bravehost.com/louthbox/92145FISHLthNth.jpg

The containers in the above shot are Birds Eye examples, as made by Farish.

If you know someone who's depressed, please resolve never to ask them why. Depression isn't a straightforward response to a bad situation; depression just is, like the weather.Try to understand the blackness, lethargy, hopelessness, and loneliness they're going through. Be there for them when they come through the other side. It's hard to be a friend to someone who's depressed, but it is one of the kindest, noblest, and best things you will ever do."

(PLEASE NOTE: Unless where obviously posting on behalf of the NGS, all posts and views are my own and not connected/endorsed by the Society.)

crewearpley40

an A4 george on a fish train - probably the aberdeen or hull london express fitted freight

NGS-PO

Quote from: crewearpley40 on August 30, 2019, 10:51:04 AM
an A4 george on a fish train - probably the aberdeen or hull london express fitted freight

In the early sixties, five destinations served from Aberdeen.

12.30 p.m. to Kings Cross, due 3.2 a.m.

This train is formed only of "Blue Spot" wagons for London; vans for Mac Fisheries Finsbury Park depot are marshalled at the rear to be detached at Finsbury Park.

1.43 p.m. to Kings Cross, due 3.33 a.m.

2.15 p.m. to Carstairs conveys a through load, mostly for North-West England, formed into two southbound trains from Carstairs as follows:
8 p.m. for Birmingham (due 4.3 a.m.); 8.10 p.m. for Manchester Oldham Road (due 2.55 a.m.).

6 p.m. to Edinburgh Waverley, vans for transfer at Edinburgh.

6.38 p.m. to Manchester Victoria.

7.33 p.m. to Perth.

The Carstairs train was steam hauled and was often A4 or Princess Coronation hauled. There was an engine change at Perth, where usually a Carlisle engine was attached.

I think the Waverley and Kings Cross trains would have been Diesel hauled by that time. Type 4.
If you know someone who's depressed, please resolve never to ask them why. Depression isn't a straightforward response to a bad situation; depression just is, like the weather.Try to understand the blackness, lethargy, hopelessness, and loneliness they're going through. Be there for them when they come through the other side. It's hard to be a friend to someone who's depressed, but it is one of the kindest, noblest, and best things you will ever do."

(PLEASE NOTE: Unless where obviously posting on behalf of the NGS, all posts and views are my own and not connected/endorsed by the Society.)

Newportnobby

Thanks for all the replies so far. Looks like Dapol for me then. I won't be running a full rake but a few split from 'the main train' to be hauled through Oxfordshire in the transition era - so maybe ½ a dozen. Luckily the article from AdrianC confirms the useage on my modelled area :D
Now to find the best prices :)

Bealman

Thanks for the very informative post, NGS-PO!

I didn't dream it, then.  :thumbsup:

Come on, NewportNobby, imagine an A4 hauled fish train powering through through your layout. Awesome or what  ;)

NeMo

Quote from: NGS-PO on August 30, 2019, 10:50:07 AM
It's also worth remembering that many fish trains, as well as running with Blue Spot Fish Vans, may also have included insulated containers on conflat wagons, along with insulated 12T type vans.

Agreed, and this is exactly how I run them. The Birds Eye conflat is an exquisite model, and one of my personal favourites.

One bizarre use of fish vans during the 60s and 70s were as 'swingers', single vans hauled by DMUs. Apparently most common in East Anglia, but with a bit of modeller's license I'm sure it could be replicated elsewhere without raising too many eyebrows. I'm certainly happy enough to have one at the end of a Dapol Class 122, right down to the DMU shunting the wagon having dropped off its last passengers at the terminus!

Cheers, NeMo

NGS-PO

Quote from: Bealman on August 30, 2019, 11:10:50 AM
Thanks for the very informative post, NGS-PO!

I didn't dream it, then.  :thumbsup:

Come on, NewportNobby, imagine an A4 hauled fish train powering through through your layout. Awesome or what  ;)

I also have images of the an A4 climbing out of Aberdeen with a milk train (presumably empties heading back to Dumfries-shire) and on another A4 on Cemflo cement wagons.

Newportnobby

Quote from: Bealman on August 30, 2019, 11:10:50 AM

I have the Dapol A4 (Wild Swan) so you just have to tell me how the Aberdeen train ended up in Oxfordshire and pay for the other ½ dozen vans for me :P

Quote from: NeMo on August 30, 2019, 11:11:45 AM

One bizarre use of fish vans during the 60s and 70s were as 'swingers', single vans hauled by DMUs.

That's set my mind boggling particularly the use of 'swingers' at such a 'free' time

Bealman

I was aware of a goods van being tagged on the end of DMUs,  and have at least simulated that over the years on my layout.

As for the fish van and swingers....

The mind boggles. Wouldn't it pong something big-time?  ;D

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations