BR Mk1 coach fittings

Started by exmouthcraig, August 17, 2019, 10:50:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

exmouthcraig

Morning All,  :helpneededsign:

Just going through the coaching stock adding a bit of weathering and detail kits, in the Farish Mk1 coaches you get the detail pack,

Which door panels do I fix to my brake end? The square one or the curved topped one?

The coach in question was built on 30:1:63 according to the decal on the sole bar so they are literally brand new on our layout for that time period

Many thanks Craig

Bealman

Whoa, now that is getting picky.

Good stuff! (I'm interested to know too, actually)
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

exmouthcraig

You wouldn't believe the half of it George, probably why after 4yrs we still cant play trains  :'(

guest311

hi Craig,

sure you've already checked this, but if not the photo part way down shows a curved top blank fitted

http://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/carrev6_bull.html

regards
alan

Bealman

Quote from: exmouthcraig on August 17, 2019, 11:09:44 AM
You wouldn't believe the half of it George, probably why after 4yrs we still cant play trains  :'(

Oh, I would, if you want to elucidate!  :hmmm:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

martyn

I had always thought that the square pattern was for BR mk1s, and the LNER and SR coaches which used the Pullman style gangway; and the round top was for the LMS/GWR British standard gangway. However, I stand to be corrected on this, as others have indicated that both sorts could be used at will.

The Parkin/ HMRS book of BR Mk1s shows the cover to be a square pattern; and the only photo in the book with an end cover in place is also square.

The date on the sole bar was a maintenance date, I think, not date of build. There are usually two on each solebar; one near the bogie refers to the bogie (brake?) maintenance, I think, and the middle one I'm not sure but could be electrics.

The paint date and date last lifted off bogies was painted on the ends at the lower LHS-not shown on Farish model. I can't find any clear photos showing date of build-I'm pretty sure that for at least some outside contractor built ones, it was a small unpainted cast plate on the solebar, not a transfer/directly painted date.

Martyn

Later;
there appears to have been two patterns of BR covers; one with rectangular pattern panels, and a second version, moulded in GRP, which had two round top 'half doors' moulded within the framing.

Naturally, photos of the back of trains with these in place are much rarer than photos of coaches being hauled by a loco and in service.........or even photos taken of stock in yards.

Second update
-I'm also sure that BR built ones had an oval makers plate with year and place of build-did it include the lot number?

Be aware that 'preserved' and 'in service' practice are not necessarily the same; be wary of using photos in preservation to assume that it was exactly the same in BR use. That especially applies to locos!

Karhedron may well know more.

There was some discussion on the door covers, buckeye couplings, and steam/vacuum pipes in another thread about a year ago.

exmouthcraig

:claphappy: as ever @martyn some fantastic knowledge, good fact about maintenance dates I wrongly assumed them to be build dates  :dunce:

I thought that 1 set might be a later panel but it's very hard to find images with clear pictures and then were into regional usage and dates at which they changed.

I was tempted to fit the square set because it fits the gang way better BUT 1 exposed every time the rake goes past I need it to be right!!

martyn

I don't know when BR stopped using the end covers, but photos suggest that by the time of widespread blue/grey, it was rare.

martyn

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations