What modern BR coaches do you like?

Started by BrakeCoach, February 08, 2017, 11:13:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrakeCoach

austinbob

My my funnysunny - you do like your polls.
Not keen on many 'modern' coaches as my memories are in the BR steam/diesel transition days.
So I'd guess I'd go with Mk1 coaches as the best option.
:beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

bluedepot

BrakeCoach

Its rather interesting to see there are no votes on Mk4 coaches...  :confused2:

railsquid

Probably because they're limited to one region of the country (the ECML) and are (I think) relatively few in number.

Not sure if I'd describe Mk1 ~ 3 as "modern" though...

robert shrives

MK 1 as it set a standard in standardisation - sadly rot in frames and body along with sprinter infestation did for them
MK2s all had further rot problems espcially around the GRP roof dome vehicle end the MK2c seemed to suffer electrical faults with  axle generator -lots of flat battery stories
The air con known as coffins for good reason - much internal faffing over the various batches - BSO and BFK best of the bunch.
MK3 - Given as the pinnacle of design unless you had to maintain them body skirts a real pain!
however apart from aircon ingress of brake block hot smells and the fun of recent toilet and catering conversions have survived the passage of time - but like trigger`s broom new floors ,sets and the  like have kept the design at the forefront..
Mk4 less said - a tiltable shaped design with rough ride bogies- however passenger feel is good sadly likely to be short lived as its a complex design which the ECML depots have mastered.

Modelwise Farish latest coaches are very fine and the Dapol Mk3 looks and runs well - with the compromise of affordable modeling. The fun thing will be the yet to be produced high spec "air cons mk2s" from Farish - hopefully bogie will be beefed up and ride height sorted. Personally looking forward to DBSO and the fun of a yellow repaint.

For the future the MK5 titled coaches for Transpennine might see a return to the proper train - even hopefully suitable for having a 125 PC each end to upgrade the best passenger train so far.
(APT excused at this point but think that might have taken the accolade!)
cheers
Robert

Jerry Howlett

This time I took it seriously. I assume you are discussing the real thing.. Mk 1 and the early Mk 2 all had that feeling of comfort even when they had been through the washers with the windows open there was an air of "damp dog" about them. Sadly or is it good fortune ? I rarely get to visit the UK let alone go by rail, my last trip was down the ECML and by luck we were allocated a table seat so I was spared the "delights" of Airline seats they are bad enough of Planes. Try a Hawksworth, sheer comfort !.

Hope you get plenty of sensible responses this time.

Jerry

Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

javlinfaw7

In the early seventies we travelled by train from Glasgow to RAF Chivenor (Barnstable)with the air cadets , the first leg was in a mk1 SK , we then transferred to a train that was overbooked and we travelled in a mk1 BG both were more comfortable than travelling currently on the Glasgow Edinburgh line at rushhour

CaleyDave

Always been a fan of the MK3 design especially the skirt.
The design still doesn't look too dated yet and Looks like they will keep going with retro fitted power doors at Chiltern, Crosscountry, GWR and Scotrail.   

I remember looking at the trains in Edinburgh Waverley when I was young just as privatization was reaching Scotland and things were being repainted and thinking how tatty and old the 225 and the MK4's looked compared with the HST's and yet they must have been practically new.
Their future is looking bleak but i doubt they will be scrapped on mass and may find themselves being stored.

MJKERR

Quote from: funnysunny365 on February 08, 2017, 02:38:24 PMIts rather interesting to see there are no votes on Mk4 coaches...
They were acceptable when initially received, but a compromise design with future tilt conversion taken into account

Adam1701D

I've still got a lot of affection for the Mk4s, BR's last coaches. I was able to travel on the first working out of KX in the late 80s and am happy to see them still going strong under their Virgin vinyls.
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Peterborough, UK

PLD

Quote from: funnysunny365 on February 08, 2017, 11:13:43 AM
What will be the winner Point?
Like many, I'm not quite sure what you hope to achieve by your several polls...  :hmmm:

You might get a better response if you explain the aims and put a bit more thought into the choices you offer...  ;)

robert shrives

Hi ,
I should add that as a trainman at Saltley I helped/hindered delivery of sets from Metcamm works at Washwood - lovely smell of fresh paint and a pristine finish !
Robert   

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations