What model rail magazine do you read

Started by bbdave, December 23, 2011, 09:01:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bealman

That is actually a good tip cycletrak9, and one I never thought of. Thanks for that! Dunno whether I'll do it though - some of the adverts are now of historical interest!! Ads for things like Zero 1, Airfix and Mainline models, etc intrigue me for some reason (always knew I was a bit weird  :laugh3:).

However, there can be no doubt that removing the adverts will make a considerable difference, particularly in the case of the newer editions which of course are loaded with ads. I could leave the older issues alone as they were not anywhere near as thick.

Top tip! Cheers!  :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Geoff

I buy magazines when I am in the mood to read them, I do not have a favourite but I have enjoyed Model Rail this month with the Build a better Model Railway, I am always open for hints and tips, I do check to see if any of the magazine feature N-Gauge which is mostly important for any N modeler. 
Geoff

Bealman

To illustrate my case - that entire shelf with the ball pyramid on it is model railway mags - the older ones on the extreme left being jammed so tightly together you have to lever them out!!
[smg id=3967 type=preview align=center width=400]
Removing the ads is starting to look more and more attractive!

Dock Shunter

Quote from: H on March 10, 2013, 09:55:38 PM
Quote from: bealman on March 10, 2013, 09:01:17 PM

'Railway Modeller' has recently upped its game since Steve Flint took over as editor.
H.

Have to agree with you there H.....the last issue (March) of the Todeller was a good one for N Gauge and 2mm f/s with two quality layouts and a "how to"....... :thumbsup: :NGaugersRule:

As for the MRJ,i don't buy it but can't resist a sneaky read whilst standing in Smiths and marveling over the quality of the modelling in there.... :)

Gogs

I tend to buy Railway Modeller most months, and as others have suggested, I too have seen an improvement under the new editor. Though it can be a bit thin on the ground for "N" articles the photography for all gauges is superb and can be very inspirational.

The Cuckoo

They are from a few years ago now but I still often read through my copies of Modern Railway Modelling (MRM) if it was still published I would buy it but due to having far too many magazines I now pick and choose which ones to buy depending on what layouts are featured.

Buffin

bealman: that was my first RM too. As a boy I pored over Stephenton for ages - I felt it was so atmospheric :)

Bealman

Me too, Buffin! I love that opening shot of the tank loco arriving with a surburban and the Triang turntable in the foreground! Full of 1950's town atmosphere and character. The layout was, of course, modern image at the time! Considering there was not the huge range of models and modeling materials we have access to today around at that time, it was excellent modelling. I've just dug it off that shelf (Heaven knows how I'm gonna get it back) and it still stands the test of time. The layout still looks great. I know as a kid, I used to drool over that layout.

Cheers!  :beers:

Bealman

Sorry, it was the April 1959 issue, not 57. Here it is:
[smg id=3970 type=preview align=center width=400]
[smg id=3969 type=preview align=center width=400]
Ah, the nostalgia! Now all I've got to do is get the thing back on the bl**dy shelf!!  :D

longbridge

I don't really buy magazines these days but I do have access to hundreds of pre 2012 issues of many different mags.

I find the most interesting are Hornby Magazine and Model Rail, I am currently reading Model Rail year 2000 Jan - Dec magazines and find them much more interesting than current issues of the same magazine.

The only magazine I buy these days is Steam World.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

silly moo

I get the digital versions of Railway Modeller, BRM and Hornby magazine and a subscibe to Model Rail in paper form. Last but definately not least I get N'spirations (posted to a friend in the UK for safe keeping)

I think Railway Modeller has improved considerably recently, BRM looks fantastic visually and shows some excellent modelling but lacks something I can't quite put my finger on. I also get extremely irritated by BRM's habit of not including supplements in the digital version, I have contacted them about this and they always offer to post a supplement but all the other mags include supplements as a matter of course. I just can't understand why they don't include them in the first place.

My favourite is Model Rail as I get the feeling that everyone writing for the magazine is enthusiastic and passionate about the hobby. I rather like the colourful and sometimes cluttered layout and the photography is very good. The paper is dreadful so I'll switch to digital as soon as my normal subscription runs out.

Hornby magazine looks good but is a very quick read.

I went a bit mad when they all went digital and took out subscriptions, the savings and convenience for someone living overseas are a great bonus, no late, damaged and lost issues due to postal strikes etc.

When the subscriptions come up for renewal I think I will drop BRM and Hornby magazines.

Regards

Veronica.

Pengi

I buy a mag only if there is something of interest that isn't covered by hints and tips on the forums, blogs. I do buy Modern Railways though which gives me ideas for the layout.
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

Sprintex

Trouble with Model Rail, and I think BRM is that they're plastic-wrapped. While this may stop the WH Smith "free readers" it also stops people like me from seeing what's inside of interest other than the couple of headline articles mentioned on the front cover, and if I can't SEE anything of interest then I won't buy it, and I know I'm not alone on this principle. Therefore they are losing potential sales!  :no:

Paul

H

Quote from: Sprintex on March 11, 2013, 06:05:46 AM

Therefore they are losing potential sales

Oddly enough they don't, as it  doesn't work like that. Whan an issue is plastic wrapped the sales/circulation for it actually increases. And retailers prefer it like that as all the inserts don't drop out. Perhaps there are lots of people who don't like purchasing grubby secondhand magazines that have been thumbed through by freeloaders.  :D

H.

Geoff

Quote from: Sprintex on March 11, 2013, 06:05:46 AM
Trouble with Model Rail, and I think BRM is that they're plastic-wrapped. While this may stop the WH Smith "free readers" it also stops people like me from seeing what's inside of interest other than the couple of headline articles mentioned on the front cover, and if I can't SEE anything of interest then I won't buy it, and I know I'm not alone on this principle. Therefore they are losing potential sales!  :no:

Paul

I totally agree with you there Paul I am the same I like to see what I am buying.
Geoff

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations