What kind of 'pits' for late era BR WR steam - and how do YOU model them?

Started by JeffPreston, February 05, 2015, 02:06:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JeffPreston

Hi again!

I'm working on my first layout (BR WR - fictional location, but around Newport, Monmouthshire circa 1964) and have 2 lines running to a Hornby Lyddle End double road shed.

I was wondering what kind of 'pits' do I need for late era BR WR steam - and how do YOU model them?

Ash pits for each road?

Inspection pits for each road?

I imagine you just cut a slot between the rails into the baseboard and get on with it from there...?

I've seen what look like steps within the pits in several pictures - does anyone produce these commercially?

Thanks for any help!

JeffPreston

Hi Nobby!

Whoa - that's a nice looking Peco item - excellent!

So an ash pit for one road and an inspection for the other...? Just making sure I have this right.   :-\

Erm - or is it rather ash and inspect for each road - a total of 4 pits...?

port perran

I'd say if you have a 2 road loco shed then an inspection pit under each road inside the shed itself.
I'd do one ash pit outside (perhaps on the road to the coaling stage if you have one).
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

MikeDunn

IIRC, there's a ScaleScene kit for these ... and you can get lights for it too ...

Karhedron

I have used the Peco one on my GWR/WR layout and I think it looks the part. Please excuse the Pannier parked on it. ;)

Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

JeffPreston

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations