Plan plan plan?

Started by Gregcov2134, May 29, 2015, 06:31:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PostModN66

Quote from: daveg on June 04, 2015, 05:12:15 PM
I have now made the executive decision to go Wire in Tube and will surface mount the wires so avoiding the battens issue. I will however have to allow for the depth of the tube and will have to make 'topside' arrangements to suit.

Dave G

Hurrah!  :thumbsup:

I top the baseboard with Sundeala (over the ply) - it is great to lay track onto, fairly easy to dig out the channels for the WiT and you can make little embankments, culverts or ponds too.

Other toppings are available!

Cheers  Jon  :)
"We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected." ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

Webbo

To be sure, when you dig a hole in a strut and apply significant downward pressure at the site of the notch there will be a greater tendency for the strut to fold upwards at that point. However, if one has a nice sturdy baseboard fastened to the strut on either side of the notch strut the tendency to fold up will be counteracted by a sideways force exerted by the baseboard across the notch. Same principle operates with box girders. My baseboard is 9 mm ply and I'm confident that notching my struts does not weaken them appreciably. The impact on strength will of course depend on the depth of the notch compared to the depth of the strut.

Webbo

Newportnobby

Back in the day folks used to cut a 'V' in cross braces through which to thread wiring until someone had the :idea: of drilling holes

Webbo

Quote from: newportnobby on June 05, 2015, 09:18:21 AM
Back in the day folks used to cut a 'V' in cross braces through which to thread wiring until someone had the :idea: of drilling holes

Sort of the same principle.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £0.00
Below Goal: £100.00
Site Currency: GBP
 0%