Quakes in Southern California.

Started by emjaybee, July 06, 2019, 01:37:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

emjaybee

Looks like they're having a time of it in Southern California, I hope anyone from the forum is okay.

I know they're used to tremors in that region, but it must still be a worry.

The Los Angeles Dodgers match in LA, some of the crowd started getting up and leaving, the teams didn't even stop pitching, I guess you can get used to anything.

???
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Bealman

A couple of weeks after we left Japan, Bealette woke up cos the room was shaking and stuff fell off her walls.

Her response?

Ring Australia and say hey, Mam and Dad, I think I've been in an earthquake!

I think it was about an eight.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Lawrence

The sister in law is out there, if you knew her it might explain a lot  >:D

On a serious note, glad nobody is reported hurt at all, I did notice that the town where the first quake was has an American Navy Weapons base, with a very large exclusion zone around it, maybe someone pressed the wrong button  :doh: :o

railsquid

Quote from: Bealman on July 06, 2019, 01:49:07 PM
A couple of weeks after we left Japan, Bealette woke up cos the room was shaking and stuff fell off her walls.

Her response?

Ring Australia and say hey, Mam and Dad, I think I've been in an earthquake!

I think it was about an eight.

An earthquake of that magnitude anywhere within a couple of hundred km of Chez Bealette would have caused more than stuff to fall off walls. you'd be looking at live aerial shots of burning cities (where the fires haven't been extinguished by incoming tsunamis). I think that was the June 2018 earthquake in Osaka, which was 5.9 on the scale used in Japan (based on the Moment magnitude scale, might be slightly different to that used elsewhere. For comparison the 1995 Kobe earthquake was 7.3 and the 2011 one 9.0 (followed almost simultaneously by two 7.x level quakes further down the plate boundary).

Bealman

Thanks! I had a feeling that might have been a bit off. They made up for it with a big typhoon later on!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations