Mixed traffic 4 coupled locos

Started by Dorsetmike, September 08, 2019, 02:53:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dorsetmike

Methinks an N gauge species that is almost as rare as the proverbial hen's teeth and rocking horse dung.
Looking through my stock I have seven S15 and H15 4-6-0s built from Langley and BHE kits, but the only small mixed traffic types are scratch built a  Drummond K10 4-4-0 and an Adams A12 0-4-2, slightly better with 0-6-0s thanks to Union Mills, 2 each of his 0395 and 700 and a kit built Q class.

I'm not aware of any kits for SR 4-4-0s and there aren't many hackable RTR, AFAIK none in UK outline, but a few continentals. I'm looking for 5'7" or 6' drivers spaced at 9' or 10'. Drivers are not a problem but the Farish 4P is about the only usable 10' spacing. Some of the Union Mills e.g. T9 have 10', but the chassis is integral. Looks like the only alternative is to cut down a 6 wheeler chassis or unearth the lathe/mill and start from scratch.

Six wheel tenders I can always use Union Mills, but 8 wheel Drummond watercarts are a problem, Fleischmann 716x are ideal but a bit expensive, plus the white metal tender bodies are not produced separately by Langley, the alternative is a Worsley works etched one - less adhesion weight.

Any relevant thoughts or suggestions welcome
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations