N Gauge Journal 3/13 Loco Number Comp

Started by michael, June 11, 2013, 09:01:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

michael

Has anybody manged to compleate this yet?   :D

johnlambert

No, I tried a couple of times but I'm convinced that it is impossible.  Some of the numbers could fit in two places (70017 and 70027) and other numbers simply won't fit.  I have been most thorough, starting with the numbers that can only fit in one place and following a strict process of elimination.  There must be a mistake somewhere.

davieb

Quote from: Only Me on June 11, 2013, 09:36:29 PM
I think it has a mistake on it.. Not completeable either that or im just stupid!! :D

Your not on your own. I've tried several times and still not managed to complete it  :veryangry:

dave  :thumbsup:

michael

I thought so too. Just didnt want to say at first because I didnt want to look like the only one!  :D

Sprintex

Just had a go at this on my break.

If you work through the entire grid each number can only fit in one place, otherwise you'll find you're stuck later. However, I have got right to the end and all numbers fit - except one!

No other place it could go, therefore I agree there is a mistake, I think 01452 should be 01450, it works then :thumbsup:

Have e-mailed asking them to check the numbers printed in the Journal are all correct ;)

Paul

engage

Hi
Paul above seems to have come to the same conclusion as me. Also for those who want to
send the answer in on line there are no specific instructions and I am sure they do not want
members to send in a scanned pic.     I pointed out what I thought was a mistake on Friday.
No response !

Cheers
John

H

It is very easy to mistype a number, or transpose a couple of digits, and in that sort of number competition accuracy is so important. I guess mistakes will occur - I know, I make enough - but it can be frustrating for avid competition 'doers'.

However, I expect you'll get a response. The OP of this thread, also a moan about the journal, got a quick reply;
http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/72625-ngs-journal-reviews/

H.

bridgiesimon

Thank goodness for that, I have been struggling over the last couple of days with that bloody puzzle getting ratherfrustrated with my own stupidity that I cannot finish it, I am usually ok with number puzzles, soduko etc! I came to the same conclusion that it is wrong! I also have the grid complete except for one number which does not fit!!

aaaaaaaargh!!!!

Simon

moogle

Not even tried it yet!
It is easy to print mistakes as H says.
I like doing Sudoku puzzles, even though I'm not brill at maths, and I've even had the odd one of them with a mistake so it can't be done.

You will get a response engage, it just might be a while as its all volunteers.
I'd be very surprised if you don't!
Personal motto: You don't have to be mad to be a modeller, but I find it helps!

My Irish layout here

My Edwardian Seaside Layout here

My Backscene painting tutorial here

Newportnobby

Hi Everyone,

Sorry - but I have been informed there was a typo in the Number Competion.
Well done to those who spotted 01450 should have been 01452.
30928 could also be 32928 - either would fit.

Please continue to send your entries into the NGS Journal as, if no entry is received, how can you possibly win?

On behalf of the NGS Journal, please accept their apologies.
:thankyousign:

CarriageShed

Quote from: H on June 12, 2013, 08:52:08 AM
However, I expect you'll get a response. The OP of this thread, also a moan about the journal, got a quick reply;
http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/72625-ngs-journal-reviews/

Ouch! That doesn't paint the NGS in a very good light. I was planning on joining in the next few months, but reading that lot has made me doubt the value of it.

H

Quote from: Pete33 on June 12, 2013, 11:41:25 AM

Ouch! That doesn't paint the NGS in a very good light. I was planning on joining in the next few months, but reading that lot has made me doubt the value of it.

Yes, it is something that needs sorting out.

But, as I mentioned on that thread, regardless of any shortcomings and areas that could be improved (specifically the website and journal), being a member of the N Gauge Society is still very worthwhile and there are other major benefits to take advantage of.

Access to the exclusive wagon kit range and developing RTR products is certainly worth every penny of the membership fee.

H.

elmo

I wonder if the bloke having a drip will volunteer to do some work for the jourrnal.
Elmo

Sprintex

Please bear in mind WHERE that's posted though Pete ;) There are many people on here who would agree it's the best thing they did and well worth the money :thumbsup:

Quote from: newportnobby on June 12, 2013, 10:57:06 AM
Hi Everyone,

Sorry - but I have been informed there was a typo in the Number Competion.
Well done to those who spotted 01450 should have been 01452.
30928 could also be 32928 - either would fit.

Please continue to send your entries into the NGS Journal as, if no entry is received, how can you possibly win?

On behalf of the NGS Journal, please accept their apologies.
:thankyousign:

I think one of these is in order . . . :doh:

Paul

red_death

Quote from: Pete33 on June 12, 2013, 11:41:25 AM

Pete

The NGS is far from perfect (and I say that as an NGS Committee member!), but I would still thoroughly recommend it to any N gauge modeller. There is always room for improvement but with a membership of well over 5000 it must be getting some things right.

Personally I would join for the kits alone.

Cheers, Mike

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £100.23
Above Goal: £0.23
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
April Donations