Coupler question

Started by BlythStationLad, June 06, 2013, 06:53:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlythStationLad

Does anyone know how to shorten the distance between two Bachmann 30T bogie bolster wagons? Even short-shank Dapol NEM couplings keep the buffers way too far apart!

Any advice will be greatly welcome  :thumbsup:

BobB

Try making a solid link from a thin piece of wire to permanently couple them together. You'll not be able to uncouple on the layout but you can reduce the distance to the minimum for the curves on the layout.

NeilMac

BlythStationLad

Thanks for replies gents but:

1. I need auto uncoupling
2. I'm referring to the shorter 30T bogie bolsters, not the more modern longer 80T ones: the RM Web article is of the latter

Help!

NeilMac

Sorry Lad, I jumped in too quickly with my reply!

Even so, I can't think of anything shorter than the short-shank Dapol and Farish NEM couplers: I've used both on Dapol's Gresley and the Farish Mk 1 coaches, to very good effect - see halfway down this page:-

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1356.15

I'm thinking that the short end overhang of your wagons, compared to the above-mentioned coaches, may be the problem.

BlythStationLad

Cheers Neil, I've also changed the semi-permanent couplings on my Mk I, Gresley and DMU stock, all with great success.

As for the 30T bogie bolster, it's back to the drawing board: as you say, the bogies, and thus the coupling housings, are much closer to the buffers than with coaching stock.

Thanks for your contributions gentlemen.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £100.23
Above Goal: £0.23
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
April Donations