Google inactive account policy

Started by Buzzard, August 08, 2023, 10:40:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzzard

Google has announced that it will start to delete inactive accounts from December 2023.  In communications received they state what is deemed as "activity" e.g. logging into your account.  To keep your account active they say you must login once every 2 years.

What they don't say is whether the use of 3rd party software e.g. a package to manage e-mails (which must have your Google login details to up and download e-mails) would keep your Google account live.

A search around the web isn't very forthcoming.  Can anyone shed any sensible light on this matter please?

ntpntpntp

I've had the same notification.  I must admit I very rarely consiously use my google account but it is associated with youtube so hopefully when I add something to "liked videos" that's good enough to prove I'm still alive :)

Have you tried logging into google with your credentials? Top right of the google main page.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

PLD

Probably less time than it took to write this post!

Job done for another 2 years - no doubts, no ambiguity, no problem...   ???

AdeV

Quote from: Buzzard on August 08, 2023, 10:40:07 AMA search around the web isn't very forthcoming.  Can anyone shed any sensible light on this matter please?

I can't shed any light on your particular question - however, that email (I got one, my mother also got one, and I'm slightly surprised my dad hasn't phoned me yet to ask about it...) does state you will get "numerous" reminders before they deactivate/delete your account... so on that basis; if you start getting reminder emails, then I'd guess they're not counting your 3rd party email manager... if you don't get any - then they are :)
Cheers!
Ade

Steven B

Google suggests there should be something in your Google account settings that shows when you last used it - login and find it. If it shows up the log-in from your email client then you've nothing to worry about. If it doesn't then you've just reset the clock for another 24 months!

Steven B

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations