Is your browser safe?

Started by dannyboy, November 08, 2018, 09:09:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dannyboy

I like to think my computer activity is reasonably safe and one of the programmes I use is Malwarebytes. I receive emails from them regarding security matters and in the latest, it has an item re browser security.  "If you feel you have already done your best to make your browser untrackable, pay this site a visit: https://panopticlick.eff.org/. It provides visitors with an option to do a test and analyze how well their browser and add-ons protect them against online tracking techniques. The site will also be able to see if your system is uniquely configured and therefor identifiable, even if you are using privacy-protective software". (My italics). I have just run the recommended test and got the result "Yes! You have strong protection against Web tracking."  :angel:  :). I realise that this might not be for everybody but if it interests you, give it a go. I have tried it and nothing has gone .......... ¿| ž  A  ö ,, ø q œ g h È É + 7 { } |  .......... wrong!  ;)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

red_death

The title is more than a little misleading.  Just because a browser may allow some tracking doesn't make it inherently unsafe.  I can understand that some people would prefer greater degrees of anonymity on the web and that is perfectly legitimate to choose not to be tracked, but that is not a safety feature.

Cheers Mike

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations