What's the best steam loco?

Started by PostModN66, November 30, 2013, 04:59:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PostModN66

Hi all,

I am contemplating a project involving a steam loco (!) - it should be a big one, not tender drive,  the type and era don't matter.  Being a diesel guy, I don't follow which ones are good and not so good!

What would be your recommendations for the "best" N gauge steam loco?  Smoothest running, reliable, nice proportions, good finish?

Cheers   Jon   :)
"We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected." ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

Alex

Well in my humble opinion it has to be a US 2-8-0 Consolidation. The ones I have are by Bachmann Spectrum and are geared for slow running. Excellent engines and can pull a useful load.

Alex  :wave:

NeMo

Quote from: PostModN66 on November 30, 2013, 04:59:31 PM
What would be your recommendations for the "best" N gauge steam loco?  Smoothest running, reliable, nice proportions, good finish?

The one thing I've learned about steam engine models compared to diesels is that they're more likely to be damaged and much more likely to derail. All that external valve gear is easily knocked if you're as ham-fisted as me, and while a diesel will usually survive a fall to the floor, a steamer won't! Likewise the sturdy arrangement of bogies on most diesels will generally tolerate all but the worst track laying, but the light pony trucks on steam engines need very little to jump off the tracks onto the ballast.

With that said, any steam engine without pony trucks (typically, an 0-6-0 tank or tender engine) is about as reliable as any diesel, and most lack external valve gear too, so they're also pretty robust. You might want to have a flutter with one of the Dapol 'Pannier' tanks for example. Just as good as any 0-6-0 diesel shunter. Since you don't care about region or era, you could opt for the splendid London Transport one that's hard to fit "properly" into a model railway without some sort of made-up excuse for its use on British Railways.

Cheers, NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

Dorsetmike

The man said BIG, I'd hardly call an 0-6-0T big by any stretch of the imagination, to me big means 4-6-0 or larger. If it wasn't for the no Tender dive specified I'd suggest the Union Mills 0-8-0 or 4-6-0, otherwise Minitrix 9F, or any Farish pacific the Spam can has less valve gear to be damaged if that's a consideration.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

tutenkhamunsleeping

I don't know about 'best' but the Farish WD 2-8-0 has got to be a contender.  Coreless motor in the loco and nice to look at if you think locos should be rugged and utilitarian.  Mine runs well with 60 minerals behind it.

NeMo

Quote from: Dorsetmike on November 30, 2013, 05:45:15 PM
The man said BIG, I'd hardly call an 0-6-0T big by any stretch of the imagination...
Ah, missed that bit!  :-[

NeMo

Irish Padre

Union Mills every time. For instance, the ex-LNWR 'Super D' is hard to beat; here's one on my old layout:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47719678@N06/4475028987/#in/photolist-7PrGdc

They are tender drive but don't let that put you off.

NeMo

Quote from: Irish Padre on November 30, 2013, 06:21:25 PM
Union Mills every time. For instance, the ex-LNWR 'Super D' is hard to beat; here's one on my old layout:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47719678@N06/4475028987/#in/photolist-7PrGdc

They are tender drive but don't let that put you off.

Agreed. Very robust, very powerful. They do have some "big" tender engines in the range. The new LNWR Prince of Wales is very pretty, especially in LMS red.

Cheers, NeMo

port perran

Would go with the Dapol 0-6-0 Pannier.
Lovely runner, very reliable and looks the part.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Newportnobby

Quote from: port perran on November 30, 2013, 07:07:49 PM
Would go with the Dapol 0-6-0 Pannier.
Lovely runner, very reliable and looks the part.

Quote from: NeMo on November 30, 2013, 06:09:25 PM
Quote from: Dorsetmike on November 30, 2013, 05:45:15 PM
The man said BIG, I'd hardly call an 0-6-0T big by any stretch of the imagination...
Ah, missed that bit!  :-[

NeMo

I think you missed that bit as well, P-D.
I would agree with the WD from Farish, narrowly edging my Farish B1 in running and haulage.
Any reason why not tender drive?

ParkeNd

I used to have most of the Minitrix steam locos. Taking BIG as a requirement then a Gresley A4 Pacific like Mallard and it's sisters gets my vote with 9F like Evening Star coming a close second. There are plenty of modern models around.

They both run with much the same grace as model diesels which I too tend to favour after owning some very difficult to rail and choppy motioned other steamers.

OwL

Owning both Farish and Dapol steamers and being a Diesel fan like yourself, I would recommend the Graham Farish A1 Pacific 'Tornado' as this is an excellent model and can be used on Modern era layouts.

Proud New Owner of Old Warren Traction Maintenance Depot Layout.

http://www.c58lg.co.uk/  http://www.c60pg.co.uk/

stevieboy

In my experience, the WD hands down. Nothing comes close in terms of smoothness. It's also the only Farish steam loco I haven't had to return for any reason, and has been perfect from new.

It's a good hauler too, mine manages 40 odd 7 plank wagons without slip on 11" curves. I've seen them do 50 odd at a recent show with imitation loads.

Everything else for me has been hit and miss, quartering or poor wheelset's are frequently mentioned on here and I've had first hand experience of this with the 2MT, 3MT tank and 5MT.

ParkeNd

Quote from: stevieboy on December 01, 2013, 08:28:26 AM
In my experience, the WD hands down. Nothing comes close in terms of smoothness. It's also the only Farish steam loco I haven't had to return for any reason, and has been perfect from new.

It's a good hauler too, mine manages 40 odd 7 plank wagons without slip on 11" curves. I've seen them do 50 odd at a recent show with imitation loads.

Everything else for me has been hit and miss, quartering or poor wheelset's are frequently mentioned on here and I've had first hand experience of this with the 2MT, 3MT tank and 5MT.

Just had a look at the WD on Hattons website. If you mean the 2-8-0 it looks pretty good.

What's it like on curves?

stevieboy

Quote from: ParkeNd on December 01, 2013, 09:26:05 AM
Quote from: stevieboy on December 01, 2013, 08:28:26 AM

That's had a look at the WD on Hattons website. If you mean the 2-8-0 it looks pretty good.

What's it like on curves?

That's the one. It goes round 10.5" ok on my layout  :thumbsup:

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations