Why Did You Choose to Model N Gauge?.

Started by longbridge, November 22, 2011, 10:06:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reptile Smile

Essentially, because my dad does...  I saw his layout, and it really appealed, and I also like the idea that when mine's done, it's something we can enjoy together. 

Also, pragmatically, the space thing - I mean, I have enough room to run an out-and-back type OO layout, but I'd really rather model in N!

Gogs

Just like everyone else, space was the primary reason. Modern houses do not have very big "third" bedrooms but a decent sized layout can be built within a small area, such as the 3rd bedroom. Paradoxically, having been Military Modelling for the past 15 years I found that, working in bigger scales meant I wanted to super detail every tank I made. I have now returned to modelling railways and with the failing of eyesight, I now find it easier to work in a smaller scale, (I know, it still sounds daft to me) where I can leave the superb detailing to the manufacturers. I can enjoy my layout, using RTR rolling stock, and not end up with eye strain or cramp in the hands, caused by applying fine details. Three cheers to the modern model makers who have made my life so much easier.

Lankyman

I wanted N gauge 30 years ago so that I could have realistic length trains and scenery. We bought a detached house so that we could put a layout in the loft but the builder had different ideas about the design of the rafters and then the plumber went and placed all the tanks right in the centre of the roof space, blocking access. It has taken until now to negotiate a share of a spare bedroom so space is now the reason.

Why is it though that all the models I would like to have are only available in 00 gauge?

Ron
Ron

Dave95979

My missis won't allow the trains in the house so I have the shed
so it is a space issue for me as well
I like the long trains so n for me
Plus when I was a nipper my next door naighber had a n gauge layout I just liked it more than oo scale
But can't tell you why
Just more fiddle putting them Dcc chips in

GreatWestern2012

Like alot of people on the forum, for me it's a necessity of space, however to begin with I did "dabble" (for want of a better word) with OO gauge, however I felt it too "clunky" (again for want of a better word). I wanted to find something that I felt would suit my personal requirements accordingly.

I first discovered N/2mm through my local railway modelling club, and upon witnessing it running was on first sight I became very impressed at the hauling capabilities of the locomotives, being able to pull much greater numbers of freight stock more comfortably than their 4mm counterparts, for example I've seen an N/2mm locomotive haul a full train of at least 50-60 wagons on my club's layout of said scale.

Cheers.

Matt.

A.K.A. - GreatWestern2012, Owner of the N gauge layout "Fiddlers End (Chrythorian Darfod)" - Affiliated to Tonbridge Model Railway Club and to the N Gauge Society.

Newportnobby

Quote from: Lankyman on March 02, 2013, 10:33:15 PM

Why is it though that all the models I would like to have are only available in 00 gauge?

Ron

We just have to be patient, Ron, and hope the ones we need/want are treated to the shrink machine by the manufacturers :hmmm:

ReBeginner

Yes space had a say in it, although for N I have more than plenty, of space that is. But, having bought used OO loco on E-bay I realised that N would allow so much more, sweeping curves, embankments and cuttings, scenes and even actual mountains (if I wanted) but the more sensible train length was the one, 8 coaches plus engine, double headers even!
Just now trying to master the detailing though, fat chubby fingers that my eyes struggle to see so glue smudges are not that obvious to me, yet!
Less is more .............. So I'm told!

What do we want?
Hearing Aids
When do we want 'em?
Hearing Aids

ngaugenewbie

scotsoft

Quote from: ReBeginner on March 12, 2013, 06:33:07 PM
Just now trying to master the detailing though, fat chubby fingers that my eyes struggle to see so glue smudges are not that obvious to me, yet!

Just take a few close up photographs and you will soon see the smudges  :doh:

I made a load to go onto a flat car and was quite happy with it till I took some photographs  :o

cheers John.

ReBeginner

Scotsoft, does this mean I'll have to learn to use a camera, as well as DCC - overload, me thinks! Can't I just ignore the smudges for present, anyway?
Regards
David
Less is more .............. So I'm told!

What do we want?
Hearing Aids
When do we want 'em?
Hearing Aids

deepeg59

Space was a major factor of course. I also think that the scale can hide either imperfections or lack of detail even when viewed from a not unreasonable distance. I have several Union Mills models which, although they are not as detailed as most of the recent offerings from the major manufacturers, look [to me] just as 'real' in situ and of course perform far better.

N is the biggest I could fit anything worthwhile into 9 feet by 9 inches - and anything smaller is too small for my eyes.
Very tempted by 3mm (I had TT as a kid) but its not a RTR scale.

dodger112958

:NGaugersRule: For me it was the inspiring threads on this forum, I toyed with OO but although it is big and probably the best supplied for everything you might need, well N offers the longer trains and I don't have to worry too much about the tiny details which cannot be seen. Also when I told wifey that my model railway was only 4 feet by 2 feet she was very impressed. Have not told her yet that it is actually just the first module, will cross that bridge when I come to it ;)
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

scotsoft

Quote from: dodger112958 on March 30, 2013, 10:47:14 PM
:NGaugersRule: For me it was the inspiring threads on this forum, I toyed with OO but although it is big and probably the best supplied for everything you might need, well N offers the longer trains and I don't have to worry too much about the tiny details which cannot be seen. Also when I told wifey that my model railway was only 4 feet by 2 feet she was very impressed. Have not told her yet that it is actually just the first module, will cross that bridge when I come to it ;)

I thought this was appropriate  :smiley-laughing:  :smiley-laughing:  :smiley-laughing:

cheers John.

Many Rivers to Cross Harry Nilsson

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations