Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

RailGooner

NeMo

Quote from: railsquid on September 19, 2019, 02:53:53 PM
So, I have an Apple MacBook Pro laptop bought in 2011...

I had one of the late-2011 MacBook Pros, and it was a cracking machine. Only reason I replaced it a bit less than a year ago was because I dropped it onto a cement floor, and it never really recovered. While the newer MacBook Pros are great, I ended up getting one of the last 2015 models still in stock -- these have all the ports and other doo-dads (SD card slot, Magsafe adapter, etc.) I really like.

While more or less just an update to your model, it does have an SSD internal drive which does make some functions feel a lot snappier. Whether it'd be worth upgrading your 2011 model that way is hard to say. After 8 or 9 years, the motherboard is -- according to the techies I spoke to when mine starting flaking out -- likely to be getting to the point of becoming unreliable. On my machine, one little capacitor thingy blew, and replacing the motherboard it was on simply wasn't financially worthwhile.

On the other hand, I still have a 1998 vintage PowerBook that works fine, not to mention mid-80s MacPlus and Mac SE machines that still worked the last time I tried them out!

Cheers, NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

Newportnobby

Quote from: emjaybee on September 19, 2019, 06:23:46 PM
What's 'Beachballing'?

I could reply to that but then, as a Mod, I'd have to remove my own post as being too rude ;)

emjaybee

Quote from: RailGooner on September 19, 2019, 06:30:13 PM
Mac spinning pinwheel aka beach ball.

Ah, I get it now. Never 'done' Apple, so this is a new one on me.

Quote from: Newportnobby on September 19, 2019, 08:27:05 PM
What's 'Beachballing'?

I could reply to that but then, as a Mod, I'd have to remove my own post as being too rude ;)

I could say something, but I quite like it on here.

:whistle:
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Skyline2uk

What's 'Beachballing'?

Altogether now...

"He's not a Mod he's a very naughty boy!"

Skyline2uk

emjaybee

Quote from: Skyline2uk on September 19, 2019, 09:48:36 PM
What's 'Beachballing'?

Altogether now...

"He's not a Mod he's a very naughty boy!"

Skyline2uk

Not so much Mod as 'Odd'.

I did wonder if he was getting confused with something to do with tea bags.

???
Brookline build thread:

railsquid

Quote from: NeMo on September 19, 2019, 06:53:13 PM
Quote from: railsquid on September 19, 2019, 02:53:53 PM
So, I have an Apple MacBook Pro laptop bought in 2011...

I had one of the late-2011 MacBook Pros, and it was a cracking machine. Only reason I replaced it a bit less than a year ago was because I dropped it onto a cement floor, and it never really recovered. While the newer MacBook Pros are great, I ended up getting one of the last 2015 models still in stock -- these have all the ports and other doo-dads (SD card slot, Magsafe adapter, etc.) I really like.

Yeah, Apple's obsession with removing ports is one reason why I never got round to getting a newer version.

I have actually just ordered a Thinkpad as a new main laptop and was disappointed to see Lenovo have remove the normal-size card reader on recent models and replaced it with a microSD one, which is useless for me.

Quote from: NeMo on September 19, 2019, 06:53:13 PM
While more or less just an update to your model, it does have an SSD internal drive which does make some functions feel a lot snappier. Whether it'd be worth upgrading your 2011 model that way is hard to say. After 8 or 9 years, the motherboard is -- according to the techies I spoke to when mine starting flaking out -- likely to be getting to the point of becoming unreliable. On my machine, one little capacitor thingy blew, and replacing the motherboard it was on simply wasn't financially worthwhile.

Motherboard looks OK visually, though anything can happen at any time I guess. I found you can get adapters to put an SSD drive in the space occupied by the (redundant) DVD drive, I might give it a whirl, worst case I can reuse it in my desktop (which is descended from one I put together in 1992).

Bealman

NeMo mentioned his Powerbook. Just for the record (coz I know you're all hanging out to know), I wrote all my nineties RM articles on one of those. Wasn't mine, I borrowed it from work.

The current issue of the excellent Aussie electronics mag Silicon Chip has an article about refurbishing an old Mac, by the way.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

railsquid

Quote from: Bealman on September 20, 2019, 01:40:39 AM
NeMo mentioned his Powerbook. Just for the record (coz I know you're all hanging out to know), I wrote all my nineties RM articles on one of those.

Finally I can sleep at night ;).

I never did get on with the Powerbook-era Macs, but the OS X Macbooks were excellent mobile Unix-esque machines. Unfortunately they've gone down the boutique lifestyle designer laptop route, and it's a lot less hassle to install Linux on laptops than it used to be, so they won't be getting any more of my money.

Fun fact: you could find my real name (and former email address) buried deep in the file system of every Mac produced with OS X on it until about 2010. The first time I came across one was actually in Japan and I was poking about in the nether reaches out of curiosity and some files looked similar, and hey presto - there I was.

Bealman

Now I too can finally sleep at night.  ;D

railsquid

Was somewhat alarmed to find a letter from the Japanese national tax agency with my name and address handwritten, which is a sure sign of Ominous Tax Issues very likely related to a SNAFU earlier in the year by my accountant, anyway after scanning the tax legalese turns out I paid too much and will get a refund (or more precisely not need to pay as much for the next bill due).  :claphappy:

Bealman

Well that's a good result.  :thumbsup:

I had a similar panic attack a few days ago, when a letter arrived with a window envelope, NSW sheriff.

I thought, what  :poop: am I in now.

Turns out it is a call to juror duty in the next 12 months.

emjaybee

Quote from: Bealman on October 31, 2019, 04:44:16 AM

I had a similar panic attack a few days ago, when a letter arrived with a window envelope, NSW sheriff.

Of course, it could be one of those 'sting' operations where they round up a large group of low level law breakers in one big scoop, and chuck 'em in the slammer for a day or two.

Brookline build thread:

Newportnobby

Quote from: emjaybee on October 31, 2019, 12:16:50 PM
Quote from: Bealman on October 31, 2019, 04:44:16 AM

Of course, it could be one of those 'sting' operations where they round up a large group of low level law breakers in one big scoop, and chuck 'em in the slammer for a day or two.

Or send 'em back to Blighty :uneasy: :angel:

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations