preferences for storing locos

Started by guest311, December 10, 2018, 04:49:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guest311

dear all, for many years I have stored stock and locos in the JB foam trays, which protect the items, take up much less space than the original packaging, and ar sodding good value.

but, the other day, a mate pointed out that I had stored my stock on it's side, not 'standing' on it's wheels.

my view is that when you get a new loco it is 99% of the time packed on it's side, but he thought it would be better to store upright, worrying that excess oil on locos could damage body shells if on their sides.

any views, preferences, experiences ?

PaulCheffus

Hi

I use the same foam trays and have always stored my stock on its wheels.

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

Workbench thread
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=54708.msg724969#msg724969

Bob G

I store locos and passenger carrying coaches (i.e. passenger trains) and Parcels wagons in their original boxes, and wagons, departmental stock and the like in JB Foam trays, for ease of handling the many wagons in a train.
I have never had a problem with locomotives on their side if they are properly supported and you get that best in the original boxes (apart from the very old Poole Farish ones where the plastic would fail in time).
I dont think oil will significantly damage loco bodies (but they will need a clean afterwards) but oil could possibly degrade the foam, leaving you with bits of foam stuck to the loco.

HTH
Bob

guest311

many thanks for your inputs.

my preference for JB trays and on their sides is that trays can then be stacked, whereas if locos & stock are on their wheels, they prevent this as the trays are not deep enough.

Hailstone

I have used Parkwood arts "Park N go" cases for my locos for a number of years now as the foam is much firmer and the locos can be stored upright, and I cut the foam away around the valve gear of steam locos if it is needed. (see below)
https://parkwood-arts.co.uk/product/park-n-go-model-rail-case/

I use JB's foam trays for coaches and wagons.

Regards,

Alex

Yet_Another

I use the JB foam trays in three layers within Really Useful 9l boxes. I store all stock on its wheels, and the foam easily conforms to the small excess height of locos, coaches, etc.
Tony

'...things are not done by those who sit down to count the cost of every thought and act.' - Sir Daniel Gooch of IKB

joe cassidy

ntpntpntp

Locos stored in their original boxes, in cases arranged so that they're on their wheels when the cases are stacked on a shelf where they spend most of the time.

Other stock stored in custom built stock trays and stock boxes, typically on their sides to prevent rolling around.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

nookfield

Quote from: class37025 on December 10, 2018, 04:49:33 PM
but he thought it would be better to store upright, worrying that excess oil on locos could damage body shells if on their sides.

If the locos have oil that will run onto the side of the loco if it is stored on its side then it has been over oiled. You should only need a minimal amount of oil on the gears and therefore there should be no danger of getting oil on the bodywork.

Also if you use the manufacturers recommend oil it should cause no damage in case you do over oil the locos

Cape Town Trev

JB foam trays have wagons on their wheels. Locos in the main kept in their original boxes.  However, I am putting sets, e.g. HSTs into Kato storage boxes so on their sides. Just done two Dapol sets and determined that I have two FGW Dynamic coaches over, I am limiting sets to two plus six or two plus five! I also have Hawksworth coach set in a Kato box and a Collet set in another.
Each to their own  :D

austinbob

Locos stored in JB foam on wheels and kept in a metal A4 set of storage draws.
Rolling stock in large JB foam briefcase style containers on their sides.
Works for me....  :beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

grid078

Evening all

I use KR Multicase and they offer two types of trays one laying stock on its side the other upright. They are very similar to JB but in my opinion are superior in design as they come with a stock box too, but they are not cheap.
Link https://www.krmulticase.com/trayguide/NGAS

Regards Stuart

Dorsetmike

I use a long storage box, about  2' 8" long by 10 " wide in which I have 3 trays on each of which I can store 6 cassettes each taking 6 Maunsell coaches or more shorter cassettes with shorter rakes e.g. 2x3 coach or a 4 coach and 2 coach also various freight sets and locos; I could fit more than 6 cassettes across, but need to leave some space to get my fingers in to lift them out, I'm working at making  clip on "handles" to aid lifting out and allowing 1 or 2 more cassettes per tray:  the 2 upper trays and the lid have sheet foam glued underneath to hold the stock on the tray below in place. I have a couple of modified rerailers which fit onto the ends of cassettes so in theory it should be lift out cassette place on track with rerailer in place and away we go, sod's law however will strike on occasion and a coach or two become derailed in the cassette.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

emjaybee

Quote from: Dorsetmike on December 10, 2018, 09:13:45 PM
I use a long storage box, about  2' 8" long by 10 " wide in which I have 3 trays on each of which I can store 6 cassettes each taking 6 Maunsell coaches or more shorter cassettes with shorter rakes e.g. 2x3 coach or a 4 coach and 2 coach also various freight sets and locos; I could fit more than 6 cassettes across, but need to leave some space to get my fingers in to lift them out, I'm working at making  clip on "handles" to aid lifting out and allowing 1 or 2 more cassettes per tray:  the 2 upper trays and the lid have sheet foam glued underneath to hold the stock on the tray below in place. I have a couple of modified rerailers which fit onto the ends of cassettes so in theory it should be lift out cassette place on track with rerailer in place and away we go, sod's law however will strike on occasion and a coach or two become derailed in the cassette.

Where do you get the cassettes from, or do you make them yourself? If so, I'd like to see them.

:thumbsup:
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Newportnobby

All locos stored in original boxes on their sides. DMUs stored in original boxes in an upright position. Coaches/wagons stored in original boxes on end in cheapo fold down plastic boxes ex DIY sheds. Only loose rolling stock items bought from club stands at shows are stored in the JB boxes

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations