Welcome to thefarishshed.com

Started by DesertHound, December 29, 2015, 04:48:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DesertHound

Railsquid - as far as I'm aware, you are correct, no class 44/45/46 produced at Poole. I just couldn't say with certainty that Bachmann didn't use a Poole class 40 or class 50/52 chassis later on for peaks, even though i thought they didn't. Nice idea from NeMo all the same.

How about you get us a site going for Kato / Tomix Squiddy?  :D
Visit www.thefarishshed.com for all things Poole Farish and have the confidence to look under the bonnet of your locos!

Dorsetmike

Do you intend to add steam chassis? Farish started with steam using a plastic chassis and can motor which didn't last long, replaced by the "one size fits all" six coupled chassis, initially with a 3 pole armature later a 5 pole.

The same wheel spacing was used for all steam classes except the 4P, they just changed the size of the wheels, think they only had about 3 maybe 4 wheel sizes.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

railsquid

Quote from: DesertHound on December 30, 2015, 12:01:03 PM
Railsquid - as far as I'm aware, you are correct, no class 44/45/46 produced at Poole. I just couldn't say with certainty that Bachmann didn't use a Poole class 40 or class 50/52 chassis later on for peaks, even though i thought they didn't. Nice idea from NeMo all the same.

I must admit when I started out with N gauge back in the dim and distant mists of 2014, I assumed for a long time that any Bachmann-era "primitive" (no DCC, lights etc.) locos were basically old Poole toolings, which I understand is not actually the case; all the Bachmann-era locos I have are split chassis, which is presumably a new development, though also presumably some exterior tooling (e.g. body shells and bogies) was retained (happy to be corrected here). By extension if the Peaks do use a chassis from another class, it wouldn't be Poole-derived. Damn, I'm going to have to get them out and compare ;).

Anyway what would certainly be interesting is a definitive model history (what models in what liveries were introduced when etc.), though I imagine even with a static target it'd be quite a bit of work, also the British 'N' Gauge Resource site aims to do similar for all manufacturers, though so far only covers Bachmann-era Farish.

Quote from: DesertHound on December 30, 2015, 12:01:03 PMHow about you get us a site going for Kato / Tomix Squiddy?  :D
Haha... If at all then only for extinct manufacturers like Endou... after I retire...

railsquid

Quote from: railsquid on December 30, 2015, 12:13:50 PM
Quote from: DesertHound on December 30, 2015, 12:01:03 PM

I must admit when I started out with N gauge back in the dim and distant mists of 2014, I assumed for a long time that any Bachmann-era "primitive" (no DCC, lights etc.) locos were basically old Poole toolings, which I understand is not actually the case; all the Bachmann-era locos I have are split chassis, which is presumably a new development, though also presumably some exterior tooling (e.g. body shells and bogies) was retained (happy to be corrected here). By extension if the Peaks do use a chassis from another class, it wouldn't be Poole-derived. Damn, I'm going to have to get them out and compare ;).
Very similar, but not identical.

railsquid

Quote from: railsquid on December 30, 2015, 12:13:50 PM
I must admit when I started out with N gauge back in the dim and distant mists of 2014, I assumed for a long time that any Bachmann-era "primitive" (no DCC, lights etc.) locos were basically old Poole toolings, which I understand is not actually the case
Part of that confusion stemmed from the imprint on the underside of the respective loco - some Bachmann-era ones still have "GRAFAR LTD" there, albeit with "Made in China" rather than "BRITAIN".

DesertHound

DorsetMike - thank you for the post. I picked up your message via the contact form on the site before seeing it here and have replied accordingly. The site is not exclusively for diesels, although that's primarily where my exposure to date lies. Whenever I dismantle a kettle I have to write off the rest of the day getting it back together again - hence it's a project for a later date. It would be fantastic if those who are well versed in kettles could come on side and contribute in the way of articles, how-to pieces etc.

Railsquid - a few chassis were carried over to Bachmann, notably the class 08 and 20. I like your idea of a definitive model history for each model, and I was thinking along the lines of having a page for each class, outlining releases (and year) of that class, and also mechanical specifics of the chassis, how to service that chassis and so on. This will probably be in the second half of 2016. I have spoken to Tony of www.ngauge.org.uk and hope to get some info on thefarishshed at a later date. Tony did originally have a brilliant listing of the Poole production run on his site and I know he intends to bring it back now that he's revamped the site.

Kindest

Daniel

Visit www.thefarishshed.com for all things Poole Farish and have the confidence to look under the bonnet of your locos!

railsquid

Quote from: DesertHound on December 30, 2015, 12:44:58 PM
Railsquid - a few chassis were carried over to Bachmann, notably the class 08 and 20.
Hah, I was thinking just now the old 08 might be a complete carry-over, but I've yet to see one in real life.

Hmm, now why does this historical trivia interest me?  :hmmm:

railsquid

Another suggestion if I may - the glossary is mighty useful, any chance of pictures to illustrate the respective bits? It would be most useful for laypersons like myself, as I have a non-running Poole 25 which I intend to work on some day when I've got the time and inclination.

Newportnobby

Having just caught up with this thread, I'd like to congratulate you, Dan, on what you've achieved so far. Very impressive!
Not sure I can contribute much to your site as when I started out in N gauge I was mainly steam based with just a class 101 DMU and a class 47 representing diesels. However, I do still have the 1983 and 1987 catalogues c/w price lists ruling at the time so if you require any references from them, just let me know.
@DesertHound

DesertHound

Railsquid, good point, and yes there will be pictures next to each of the terms as I know it's difficult to visualise something just from a description. I'm visiting family right now so not at home to give the site the attention that it needs - any tweaks are done through an ipad - hardly suitable.

Mick - thanks for the kind words. Scans of the 1983 and 1987 price lists might come in handy if I haven't got them posted already, which I don't think I have.

Kindest

Daniel

Newportnobby

Quote from: DesertHound on December 30, 2015, 03:53:45 PM

Mick - thanks for the kind words. Scans of the 1983 and 1987 price lists might come in handy if I haven't got them posted already, which I don't think I have.

Kindest

Daniel

I'll see if I can find someone with a scanner, Dan.

DesertHound

Quote from: newportnobby on December 30, 2015, 05:13:35 PM
Quote from: DesertHound on December 30, 2015, 03:53:45 PM

Kindest

Daniel

I have a scanner Mick!  :D :D :D :headbutt: :headbutt: :headbutt:

I'll see if I can find someone with a scanner, Dan.

REGP

What a great idea, the site looks good and Ive bookmarked it all ready.

I am sure a lot of people like me, who are relatively new to N Gauge will find it a very useful information point.

Thanks and keep the good work up.

Ray

Tank

Looks like a good site, and will be a good resource.  Saddened that your idea of writing articles for the forum hasn't happened like you said, but I can see that this is a different approach....which is great of course.  :D  Good luck with it. :thumbsup:

DesertHound

Quote from: Tank on December 30, 2015, 08:10:00 PM
Looks like a good site, and will be a good resource.  Saddened that your idea of writing articles for the forum hasn't happened like you said, but I can see that this is a different approach....which is great of course.  :D  Good luck with it. :thumbsup:

Hi Tank

Thanks for the kind words. The ideas just kept coming out and ultimately I felt it deserved it's own site. I did send you some "works in progress" for comment about 8 weeks ago with the idea of bolting them on to NGF - did you receive them? Ultimately I couldn't envisage how everything I wished to do would sit here. The site isn't intended to operate in isolation and I'd be delighted if it generates traffic for the NGF.

I also hope I can contribute to NGF somehow in the future - to my mind it's a fantastic resource.

Kindest

Daniel

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations