Please help make my browsing easier

Started by Newportnobby, November 17, 2020, 08:57:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

Every time someone posts a link to a YouTube vid I get asked to sign up (No thanks) and then the usual 'accept cookies' (OK/I agree) and Google is a PITA in that every day I have to wait for the question to be asked 'accept cookies?' and it's slow to load.
Is there a way round all this? I know it's necessary but I really don't need it at my time of life.

crewearpley40

Mick. I'm asked to either accept or skip a survey and asked who will watch . I say only to myself my railway modeller friends and restart the process all over again then am left alone to do my 1 minute n gauge video. Ugh. I share your frusyrations

red_death

Sounds like your browser is blocking cookies (or you are using Private mode!) if Google asks you to accept cookies each time.

Which browser do you use?

ntpntpntp

Must admit I don't have any of those problems with youtubes, but maybe it's because I signed up many years ago and just leave it signed in. Plus I will have already allowed cookies for major sites I use a lot. 

There are so many checks and directives that content providers etc. have to implement nowadays, if you don't do something about allowing cookies (and maybe even signing up) then you will get lots of these "nag"s.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Newportnobby

Quote from: red_death on November 17, 2020, 09:16:52 PM
Sounds like your browser is blocking cookies (or you are using Private mode!) if Google asks you to accept cookies each time.

Which browser do you use?

Opera, Mike. Wouldn't even know how to use 'Private' mode :dunce:

Papyrus

@Newportnobby Click on the red 'O' at the top of the sidebar. Third item down "New private window". Click on that and a new window opens.

Don't know how genuinely private it is, but it gets rid of all the browsing data rubbish when you close it.

But yes, I get all those annoying requests too.

Cheers,

Chris

Newportnobby

Thanks Chris,
Just tried it and got the same 2 messages up from YouTube
Looks like I'm stuck with the annoying  :censored:

NScaleNotes

Sorry to resurrect a zombie thread but does this help? (from Opera help page):

"Setting cookie preferences gives you control of how Opera handles them. The default setting is to accept all cookies. To set your cookie preferences:

Go to  Settings .
    Click Advanced in the left sidebar, and click Privacy & security .
    Under Privacy and security , click  Site settings .
    Click  Cookies and site data .
    At the top, turn on or off  Allow sites to save and read cookie data (recommended) .

There are two additional options for handling cookies:

Clear cookies and site data when you quit Opera – Deletes cookies that have been added after this preference was enabled when closing the browser.

Block third-party cookies – Blocks cookies set by other websites whose content is displayed in frames or images on the current website you are visiting. Blocking third-party cookies will allow only the cookies for the site you are visiting to be set on your system.

Click the Add button next to the  Block , Clear on exit , or Allow sections to set site-specific cookie preferences for websites.

Type [*.] before the domain name to create an exception for an entire domain name. Creating an [*.] opera.com  cookie exception will apply to pages such as blogs.opera.com and  addons.opera.com . IP addresses can also be added as exceptions.
"

So first check Allow sites to save and read cookie data (recommended) is turned on.
Then just make sure YouTube hasn't added to the Clear On Exit section.

Newportnobby

Gadzooks! That's a lot for a computer numpty to get his addled head round but I'll have a go tomorrow. Thank you.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations