What is this plastic stuff called?

Started by silly moo, June 29, 2020, 03:35:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NGS-PO

Quote from: silly moo on June 29, 2020, 07:20:39 PM
Emjaybee has mentioned the stuff I mean, and I think from The Q's description, it could very well be potato starch plastic. The stuff the Farish models come in lasts a few years at least. Hornby and Dapol use it as well as an 00 model I bought recently was wrapped in it.

The reason I wanted to get some more was that it seems to be very suitable for wrapping models in as it is extremely soft, much softer than normal tissue paper. I assume that it doesn't damage paintwork otherwise the manufacturers wouldn't use it.

Apologies, I know what you mean now.  When you said tissue paper I thought you meant the white paper sleeve the boxes are wrapped in, but I understand now.

Best

Scott.
If you know someone who's depressed, please resolve never to ask them why. Depression isn't a straightforward response to a bad situation; depression just is, like the weather.Try to understand the blackness, lethargy, hopelessness, and loneliness they're going through. Be there for them when they come through the other side. It's hard to be a friend to someone who's depressed, but it is one of the kindest, noblest, and best things you will ever do."

(PLEASE NOTE: Unless where obviously posting on behalf of the NGS, all posts and views are my own and not connected/endorsed by the Society.)

silly moo

I have just had reply from Bachmann, they refer to it as PU film, and a quick google shows that it is used extensively in the medical field for wound dressings.

It seems to come in varying thicknesses so more googling is required.

emjaybee

Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

silly moo

After much googling I have come to the conclusion that PU film is available in large quantities for industrial use but not something you can buy in small quantities from eBay or amazon.

This topic has proved very useful because some of the alternatives that were suggested will be just as useful.

emjaybee

Maybe that's the way to go. Buy a Big chunk, resell it in smaller quantities on FleaBay and pay for your next loco from the profit.
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66