Office seems to have gone to OneDrive

Started by martyn, September 24, 2020, 09:42:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

martyn

I have Office Student 2019 installed on my PC, mainly to use Excel, Word, Wordpad.

Seemingly since a Windows update (KB4756478?) which I did on 14.9.20 these are now only available if I go through OneDrive. I used to be able to click on Documents, then a file, open a window which included 'open with' and I could select Excel, Word, etc to open the document/file.

KB 45611600 was also installed on this date.

I'm now not able to do this, but can only open if I move the file/document to OneDrive first.

Please has anyone any idea how I can get back to the older method? If I try and open in the old way, I get an error message 'your computer is not formatted for this operation'.

Thanks from a computer Numpty.

Martyn

LASteve

Are you on Windows 10? I assume so given your version of Office. If you go to the Windows Start menu, do you see the shortcuts for Word and Excel?

ScottishModeller

Hi all,

A change in Windows has made the default save location for office files to be your OneDrive folder.

You can change this by using the OneDrive settings.

Phil H
Thanks
Phil Holman

martyn

Thanks for the replies, gents.

LA Steve; yes, Windows 10; I can see the icons when I click on the Windows icon at the lower left of my screen, but if I click on them, they come up with the 'your computer is not configured', etc.

I think the answer is that of Phil/ScottishModeller, the defaults must have changed in the updates,  and thanks to Only Me, I think I've found a video of what to do.

Thanks again gents, and I'll be trying the changes later.

Martyn

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations