Alexa thinking about answering

Started by Bob G, April 10, 2020, 11:05:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob G

We've had an Alexa for over a year, and an Alexa dot for a few months now.
We had to change our home hub to get the Halo boosters in order to run the Ring doorbell properly.
Now Alexa pauses for up to 5 seconds before answering, like she is thinking about it.
She's never done it before the hub change.
My wife said she got into a hell of a mess trying to pair Alexa to the new hub.
Any suggestions as to how I can get my old fast and sometimes witty Alexa back?

Bob

joe cassidy

I suggest you replace Alexa by a real au pair girl.

guest311

mrs Bob might not agree  :hmmm:

not got one of these things myself,
a little bit worried about the idea of an open mic in the house 24/7....

do I trust the supposed privacy  :hmmm: NO

but again, that's probably just me being paranoid  :-\

tempy2000

Hi,

It could be something as simple as needing a software update, or maybe even just a reboot. If worst comes to worst, reset it and re-pair it - what it sounds like is happening is the Alexa is talking to one of the sub-routers, which is introducing a delay both ways, rather than it talking directly to you main Hub.

njee20

Have you done a network speed test before and after? Most likely explanation is that the speed is now slower (which is odd, but that's a separate issue), so it takes a while to respond.

Assuming it's both Echo devices that are now slow there's no other obvious explanation.

Bob G

The really crazy thing is that she's recently speeded up again.
Maybe she found a faster signal from the hub again?
One thing though - she doesn't listen to me. Only Mrs Bob  :hmmm:.

Bob

njee20

Changing routers can mean speeds fluctuate for a while, although I'd expect that to settle down quite fast. I suspect they were picking up a signal off the new Halo devices, and the peripheral speeds were much slower while things bedded in.

Bealman

Your first post has made my morning, Bob.

I keep reading through it and keep coming up with all sorts of innuendos. ;)

Anyway, hope you get it sorted.  :thumbsup:

I especially like the way it only responds to your wife's voice! Whatdya expect?  :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

GrahamB

I know nothing about these digital assistant things, can you tell/ask them to play radio stations such as Caroline?
Tonbridge MRC Member.
My Southwark Bridge thread can be found at https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38683.0
My Southwark Bridge website can be found at https://southwarkbridge.wixsite.com/ngauge

njee20

Yep, exactly. I believe Echos can just do any DAB station, although I've not tested that. Or individual songs, or playlists based on songs or artists you like.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations