Latest build Windows 10 - slow Office 2010 Apps

Started by austinbob, November 26, 2017, 10:49:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

austinbob

Installed latest Windows 10 update - build 1709. Problems with Office 2010 - a long story - sorry!!

EXCEL 2010
If I start Excel 2010 directly it starts up straight away.
If I start Excel using a spreadsheet shortcut, the splash screen comes up after a couple of seconds and just sits there for around 20 seconds before the file loads. (Splash screen just says 'starting' while nothing is happening)
Once Excel is open any spreadsheet shortcut brings up the file straight away.

WORD 2010
If I start Word 2010 directly or from a document short cut it does not start straight away, the splash screen comes up and it takes around 20 seconds for Word to load and to load a file from the shortcut.
If I load an existing file from 'Recent files' once Word is open, loads straight away..

OUTLOOK 2010
Outlook loads normally but when you open an email for the first time, again it takes about 20 seconds for the email to load. Subsequent emails open straight away.

I've googled this problems and many people seem to have the same or similar problems with Office 2010 and other versions of Office.
Fixes suggested have been - turn off Hey Cortana, turn off One Drive, and many other 'fixes' - none of which work for me.

Oh and before the Mac fanboys say 'get a Mac' I've run out of cash... (otherwise I might just have listened to you this time  ;)

Any help gratefully appreciated.
:beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Dorsetmike

Have you tried Libre Office? It's free.

I got fed up with MS updates, they screwed up more than they fixed, I'm running Win 7 Pro 64 bit with all updates disabled, Solid state drive speeds things up nicely.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

austinbob

Yes, thanks for that - tried Libra office on several occasions. Didn't really like it, found some compatibility issues with existing files so dumped it.

I'm more than happy with Office, I'd just like to get rid of this little bug with Windows 10 latest release.
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

MJKERR

I assume you have Windows Office installed, and not the stand alone products

Windows Office has always been slow to launch and initialise
Make sure the launcher program is installed, that speeds up the process if you only want to use each stand alone product

Load Word, take note of how long it takes to load, then close it
If Excel is loaded, how long does Word take to load in comparison?

If in doubt, roll back to Build 1703
I have updates disabled, manual download and installation

On my own computer I now use Windows Live Mail and Libre Office
Libre Office has vastly improved

austinbob

Thanks for that info.
I have Office 2010 installed, not individual programs. The delay for Excel, Word and loading first Outlook email are about the same.
What's this launcher program you mention? Is it one of the options when you install Office. If so I suppose I should be able to modify the Office installation to include it.
Unfortunately I made the big mistake of deleting the previous Windows 10 installation so can't revert back. That'll teach me ehhh!!!
Might give Libre Office another try.
Thanks again for the info.
:thumbsup:   :beers:

Bob Austin

emjaybee

I bought a brand new laptop 12 months ago, with a fresh Win10 install. It loaded from switch on to stable in 65seconds. After the first Win10 update, the time doubled. Cortana was spread like a disease through my laptop, and it acheived nothing worth having.

I backed out the update, spent three hours (yes!) removing the bossy cow from my programs and disabled Win10 updates (yes, you can, and it's easy and reversable). Back to fast boot! Office is quick load. My advice is back out the update, disable and enjoy.

:thumbsup:
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

austinbob

Quote from: emjaybee on November 26, 2017, 03:56:43 PMMy advice is back out the update, disable and enjoy.

:thumbsup:
Unfortunately, as I said in previous post I deleted previous version so can't go back - unless there is some other way to do so. Don't ask me why I deleted previous version - lesson learnt!!  :'( :'(

Bob Austin

austinbob

Quote from: MJKERR on November 26, 2017, 02:40:25 PM
On my own computer I now use Windows Live Mail and Libre Office
Libre Office has vastly improved
I've just tried Libre Office version 5.4.? and indeed, it does work very well. Unfortunately it has a limit of 1024 columns for the Calc spreadsheet application which means I can't use it on a couple of my spreadsheets. So, unless I split my spreadsheet up (which would be a real pain in the ***) I'm stuck with Excel for the moment.

Bob Austin

MJKERR

I have Libre Office 5.3
Again, updates are disabled (I do this for most programs)

I have never needed more than 1024 columns, so never noticed that issue
The main issue I had was updating my last laptop which did not come with Microsoft products so had to use OneDrive
However, some of the formatting was lost when importing them into OneDrive
I have now imported those files back into Libre Office

austinbob

Quote from: MJKERR on November 26, 2017, 06:11:19 PM
I have Libre Office 5.3
Again, updates are disabled (I do this for most programs)

I have never needed more than 1024 columns, so never noticed that issue
The main issue I had was updating my last laptop which did not come with Microsoft products so had to use OneDrive
However, some of the formatting was lost when importing them into OneDrive
I have now imported those files back into Libre Office
I must say that after playing with libreoffice a bit more over the last hour or so it is much better than I recall from a year or two ago. Even my spreadsheet charts resolve properly - nice. Now I'm sorely tempted to split my bigger spreadsheets into individual sheets in the same file, within the 1024 columns, but linked together.
That should get round the problem.
Yet another little project to fill my time. Nearly forgotten what all that N gauge stuff is all about!!
:D :beers:

Bob Austin

austinbob

Bob Austin

austinbob

Quote from: Lindi on November 26, 2017, 07:02:35 PM
Quote from: austinbob on November 26, 2017, 06:16:49 PM
I must say that after playing with libreoffice a bit more over the last hour or so it is much better than I recall from a year or two ago. Even my spreadsheet charts resolve properly - nice. Now I'm sorely tempted to split my bigger spreadsheets into individual sheets in the same file, within the 1024 columns, but linked together.
Yet another little project to fill my time. Nearly forgotten what all that N gauge stuff is all about!!

It should be relatively easy to amend your spreadsheets. If you cut the columns after 1024 and then paste into a new worksheet, excel will retain all the references between the worksheets.
Question ??
Suppose, rather than pasting the columns over 1024 into separate workbooks, I paste them into separate sheets in the same workbook.
Will the links between all the columns still be maintained?

Bob Austin

mickster04

Quote from: Dorsetmike on November 26, 2017, 12:08:58 PM
I'm running Win 7 Pro 64 bit with all updates disabled, Solid state drive speeds things up nicely.

I hope this machine isn't connected to the internet!

https://decentsecurity.com/#/how-you-get-infected/

see the bit about "You get kit'd". You literally can get infected just by browsing a website with adverts...

austinbob

Now that is good news Lindi. Definitely worth a try.
Ta...    :beers:

Bob Austin

austinbob

Quote from: Lindi on November 26, 2017, 08:14:49 PM
Quote from: austinbob on November 26, 2017, 07:45:50 PM
Quote from: Lindi on November 26, 2017, 07:02:35 PM
Quote from: austinbob on November 26, 2017, 06:16:49 PM

It should be relatively easy to amend your spreadsheets. If you cut the columns after 1024 and then paste into a new worksheet, excel will retain all the references between the worksheets.
Question ??
Suppose, rather than pasting the columns over 1024 into separate workbooks, I paste them into separate sheets in the same workbook.
Will the links between all the columns still be maintained?

Yes that is what I meant and explained badly
Tried splitting my large spreadsheet into separate sheets within the same file as you suggested. Worked a treat. I'm now giving libreoffice a trial to see how I get on. Quite impressed so far. I've also started using Windows Mail which, after a bit of faffing around to get it set up, also works pretty well on my BT Mail account.

Bob Austin

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations