E Mail problems

Started by geoffc, January 04, 2017, 05:20:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

geoffc

I have a computer running Windows 7 pro and I am using Office Outlook 2013 for my email accounts. I have two email accounts one with TalkTalk and the other with AOL, when downloading emails all is fine with AOL but 50% of the time I get an error with TalkTalk in as much that it will not connect to the incoming POP3 server. I altered the settings so that it was IMAP not POP3 but that made no difference. Is it the computer, MS Outlook or more likely TalkTalk?

Geoff

A.Carter (BiG-T)

Geoff I would more likely think it's TalkTalk as i have the same problem at times I use Outlook and some times when i go in to my email account to check mail it seems to take an age to check then gives an error message, if i go back a few minutes later it then downloads the messages ok.

Tony

geoffc

Quote from: A.Carter (BiG-T) on January 04, 2017, 05:28:12 PM
Geoff I would more likely think it's TalkTalk as i have the same problem at times I use Outlook and some times when i go in to my email account to check mail it seems to take an age to check then gives an error message, if i go back a few minutes later it then downloads the messages ok.

Tony

Thats what I was thinking as the internet speed seems to vary as well. Cant wait for the contract to finish, but who do I go to then?

Geoff ???

A.Carter (BiG-T)

Geoff the best thing to do is go on the Broadband checker website like Sam Knows they will tell you what's available in your area what speed and the best value.

Tony

DELETED

Talktalk (aol) changed their email system a year ago now and it has never worked satisfactory in the 12 months ever since!  I have a letter purporting from the top man at Talktalk admitting the "new" mail format does not work, the new format is a much reduced service and still does not work but as it's a free service we have no int"intion of changing it now or incentive of making it a usable service again.

....I hope you break free from Talktalk because over the past 5 years they have become truly awful.  I can't move from them -they're the only folk who offer a TV package at the moment.

ONE TIP I CAN GIVE IS TO CALL THEM ON THE "LEAVING / LOYALTY" LINE.  THIS IS THE ONLY WAY TO SPEAK TO SOMEONE WITH A BRITISH ACCENT AND CAN USUALLY POINT YOU TOWARDS  A RESOLUTION SOMEWHERE MORE EFFECTIVELY

Malc

It might be worth trying a different client, i.e. Mozilla Thunderbird. I sometimes use it when away from home and Outlook is playing up.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

austinbob

Quote from: Crooked Spire on January 08, 2017, 12:43:04 PM
Quote from: RST on January 07, 2017, 12:39:29 AM
ONE TIP I CAN GIVE IS TO CALL THEM ON THE "LEAVING / LOYALTY" LINE.  THIS IS THE ONLY WAY TO SPEAK TO SOMEONE WITH A BRITISH ACCENT AND CAN USUALLY POINT YOU TOWARDS  A RESOLUTION SOMEWHERE MORE EFFECTIVELY

What difference does a persons accent make? Does a persons accent determine a persons ability to resolve a problem?  or are you just being racist.

Colin

I doubt whether the poster is being racist. Sometimes it is very difficult to understand what some of the staff at call centres are saying because, although their English may be good, they have very strong foreign accents which can be difficult to understand. I speak from experience.

Another problem, with call centres in general, is that the operators often work to a fixed script and go through a defined sequence of questions if you report a fault. They often have limited technical knowledge and eventually pass you on to a proper technician. This can be annoying if you know you've already tried everything they're gonna ask you.
:beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

austinbob

Quote from: Crooked Spire on January 08, 2017, 01:10:00 PM

But leaving/loyalty lines are generally staffed by salespeople who will offer a deal to keep your as a customer, they are not technicians or have the access to resolve technical issues. All they could do is pass you over to a 'proper technician' so the end result will be the same. You speak to one person and then get passed over to someone else

Colin
The OP was saying he calls the leaving/loyalty lines, rather than the technical lines, because they speak more understandable English.
That may well be true and get you passed on to a real technician more quickly. I was just stating that if you do this you are not necessarily racist.
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

scotsoft

The moderating team have been discussing this and are of the opinion that the original post was not being racist.

I would hope that our decision has ended this topic.

Cheers John.

scotsoft

I do not see anything constructive coming out of this, so I am locking it.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations