Linux Operating Systems.

Started by longbridge, September 22, 2011, 10:08:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeDunn

Quote from: tim-pelican on February 23, 2013, 11:32:35 PM
Sounds like Demon Internet.  Moderately shocking lash-up of Amiga software, was not the best thing in the world to support - I was working there '94-'97 or thereabouts.  I *do* still miss my Amiga sometimes though :(
Ah yes, Demon :)

As you say, it wasn't a fantastic collection of s/ware - but it (usually !) worked :)  I recall when I first used Mosaic ... blimey, pictures on the web !!! Were we really so ... naive ?

Still got 2 of my Ami's in the garage ... SWMBO's A500+ (I had no choice - I sold my A500 to help pay for an A1500 (which in turn got sold to pay for the other one I have left) I needed - PC card got installed there; she got stroppy with me !), and my A4000 - now there was a beast in the Amiga world  :bounce:

Mike

Joe 90

Hi Longbridge :wave:
I think you misunderstood me in that I loaded Linux Mint first but found it slow and jerky then I downloaded the Ubuntu iso and burnt a disk off and loaded that as a clean install by formatting the disk first and that was just as bad. They weren't on there together. I reckon you are right in suggesting that there may be problem with the computer.

However I shall have a bit more time on Tuesday to have a play around and see what is happening.

As for Mike's Amigas. Didn't they run on the old 68000 processors which were far better and more powerful than the Intel 8088s that the IBM PCs at that time were using.

Thems were the grand old days of proper computing. ;)

Nowadays I have problems setting up a spreadsheet. :-\

Regards

MikeDunn

Quote from: Joe 90 on February 24, 2013, 02:55:54 PM
Amigas. Didn't they run on the old 68000 processors which were far better and more powerful than the Intel 8088s that the IBM PCs at that time were using.
Aye ... 68000 was the original CPU, later they used higher ones, mainly the '020; the A4000 I have uses an '030 (I couldn't stretch to the '040 :(), as well as a <gasp> 340MB hard drive ... !

Mike

Malc

Joe 90

As for Mike's Amigas. Didn't they run on the old 68000 processors which were far better and more powerful than the Intel 8088s that the IBM PCs at that time were using.

The original PCs were 8086 chips, mine had a massive 5Mbyte hard drive. My Amiga had a colour display, the IBM was had an Orange and black screen with a Hercules graphics card.
Those were the days.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Pengi

I'm finding this topic about Linux operating systems to be very helpful. I nearly went to Ubuntu but took the more expensive option of Mac. I do have a laptop with Windows on it that I use for Anyrail only - might see what it is like with Mint.
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

MikeDunn

Pengy,

If you're happy with your AnyRail laptop, can I suggest that instead of ditching it you install a copy of VMWare Player and create a Linux VM to play with ?

If you don't like it, you still have your AnyRail system intact ...

EtchedPixels

You don't even need a copy of vmware if its a modern PC and Linux host - you can just make a virtual machine of it with the included KVM support on any modern distro. Problem you may find though is that the "virtual" computer won't talk to the train control stuff without fiddling.

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

longbridge

Hi Joe, sorry about the confusion, any help you need with Mint just give us a yell, I hope you get it working OK as it is a great operating system.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

MikeDunn

Alan,

As Pengy has a Windows laptop, your comment doesn't make any sense to me ...  ???

Bikeracer

I'm not particularly PC proficient and a while ago there a topic along similar lines as this one.

I sent for the Ubunto disc to try at the time but found it very slow to load and I couldn't get anything to work on it.
I'm willing to have another go because I hate Windows,nothing is easy to get working and the Mac just installs things without any hassle.

I'll have a Google for Mint and perhaps try it.

Allan
I'm not a complete idiot..some bits are missing.

Bikeracer

I'm downloading 64 bit Mint iso now and will try and burn it to a disc, I'm not much good at things like that which is why I sent for a disc last time.

Allan

Bikeracer

I seem to have burnt it to disc okay,but all I get is a window with folders in it,I haven't a clue what to do now to start it up.

Allan

longbridge

No problem Allan. pop the iso disc into your drive then shut the computer down, restart the computer and when the splash screen appears ( the screen that usually comes on first with the computer brand ) and quickly press F12, some splash screens tell you to press a different F number to interrupt the start.

Just select your CD/DVD Drive and follow the prompts Mint will start to load but it may take a minute or two for something to appear, when the Mint screen appears click on the icon in the top left corner which says "install mint", its all easy from there so just follow the prompts, the only one to watch out for is the name of the network, sometimes it comes up in red saying the name must be I think 68 letters or less, if this occurs just highlight and remove whatever is in there and type allans - computer.

After loading you will see a shield on the bottom task bar that is to download the updates, click on it, put your password in and click OK, at present there is about 500 updates, nearly all of these are small and it wont take long to download them.

Before going on the www click on Menu, Admin and Firewall configuration, thats all the security you need to be concerned with.

Take a look around and you will be surprised at the great software that comes with the Mint install, to see whatever else you like click menu, admin and software manager, 36,000 items for you to choose from and nearly all are free.

Gimp Photo Editor comes with the install but I have also installed Pinta which is run by the same US college chaps that do Paint.NET in Windows, one of the few Windows software programs I missed when I made the switch .

Have fun and any help you require just yell out  :thumbsup:
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Malc

Hi Dave, just downloaded the latest x32 Mint and ran it from the CD. Tried most things, including editing some accounts that were on my primary drive. Worked fine. Had a problem updating a copy on some NAS though. Kept saying "do you want to overwrite etc and keep format the same" but didn't actually update the file. I will now try installing as a dual boot OS and have a propped play.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

longbridge

Quote from: Malc on February 25, 2013, 05:55:42 AM
Hi Dave, just downloaded the latest x32 Mint and ran it from the CD. Tried most things, including editing some accounts that were on my primary drive. Worked fine. Had a problem updating a copy on some NAS though. Kept saying "do you want to overwrite etc and keep format the same" but didn't actually update the file. I will now try installing as a dual boot OS and have a propped play.

Good for you Malc and by the sounds of it you liked it, once you install it and download the updates you see it becomes a totally different animal fast, safe and efficient.

Not getting into the Win vs Linux debate which is a total waste of time and breath, you will notice that the size of the Linux operating system with all updates only requires less than 6 gig of space on your HDD unlike my last episode with Win XP that had blown out to 14 gig with service packs and patches, being small is what makes Linux as good as it is.

If you need any help let me know.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations