Transferring films to computer

Started by Newportnobby, May 09, 2013, 07:51:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

I have a Sony camcorder which records onto 8cm disks. When finalized these can be played on other DVD players including my laptop using Windows Media Player. However, despite right clicking everything in sight, I can't find a way of turning the films on the disk into files that I can store on my laptop, rename etc.
So although I can have fun filming trains on the layout and watching them on the telly/laptop I can't actually seem to store them.
Sadly the camcorder is the entry level one with no way of connecting it directly to the laptop.

Hopefully someone more system savvy can help :dunce: ???

scotsoft

The camcorder is creating a DVD instead of data disk when you finalise the disk.

You would need a program to "rip" the dvd which would give you a file you could store onto your laptop.

cheers John.

guest373

DVDshrink will rip dvds

http://www.dvdshrink.org/

This is freeware.
Even though it is called shrink it will rip without compression.

Chris

Sounds like you have the same/similar camcorder set-up I use.

I use TDK discs in my Sony, (ignoring the message that recommends Sony discs!!) but don't finalise them before inserting them into the PC DVD drive. This then allows me to copy the file from the DVD to the PC. Sony camcorders write the videos as .VOB files which are infact MPegs so one way to get round this if possible is to rename the files to .MPG, or alternatively download the (free) .VOB file codec.

When I first got my camcorder it came with a couple of Sony DVDs but these never worked properly on my PC until I downloaded AVS Video Converter which converts them to .AVI, but I was too tight to buy the full version!

trainsdownunder

Quote from: scotsoft on May 09, 2013, 08:03:31 PM
The camcorder is creating a DVD instead of data disk when you finalise the disk.

You would need a program to "rip" the dvd which would give you a file you could store onto your laptop.

cheers John.

Correct DVDShrink is one of the best of the free prgs around for this.

There are others that will let you rip the DVD files (VOB's) and convert into other formats Video Converter from Freemake.com - another freebie.

red_death

As always I recommend Handbrake: http://handbrake.fr/ if you need to rip a DVD, but it may just be a case of working out what file format the Camcorder is writing in and finding appropriate codecs and/or media players.

Cheers, Mike

Newportnobby

Thanks All :thumbsup:
I'll have a bash at ripping the DVD.

Quote from: Chris on May 09, 2013, 09:19:07 PM
Sounds like you have the same/similar camcorder set-up I use.

I use TDK discs in my Sony, (ignoring the message that recommends Sony discs!!) but don't finalise them before inserting them into the PC DVD drive.

Not sure that would work, Chris, as unless I finalise the disk my laptop won't even load the DVD so there's nothing to work with :dunce:

EddieA

Hi Mick

Sorry, only come across this topic.

I got a Sony Handycam several years ago using the same mini discs. Did you get a CD Rom with your camera titled 'Picture Motion Browser'? If so you need to install the software then you should be able to read the finalised disks from the camera on your PC (only works with Windows,  if you have an Apple the software is not compatible, or at least wasn't when I got my camera.)

As I don't use the camera that much I haven't tried to install the Sony software onto my 'new' PC yet (running Windows 7) but it did work with Vista.

If you are still stuck and don't have the disc and you can't get anything from the Sony website drop me a PM and I'll see if I can help.

regards
Eddie
"I owe the discovery of Uqbar to the meeting of a mirror and an encyclopaedia".
(Jorge Luis Borges - 'El jardin de senderos que se bifurcan' 1941)

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £100.23
Above Goal: £0.23
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
April Donations