what are you listening to at the moment?

Started by findus, January 20, 2011, 12:06:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulprice

MattJ

They're there for their tea.

GroupC

"Black Metallic" by Hammock, a cover of Catherine Wheel's seminal shoegaze classic.

Turn the lights off, turn the volume right up, shut your eyes, float away...................

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vz4txJKW-l8

Newportnobby

Never heard of Catherine Wheel and have no clue what a 'shoegaze classic' is but I do like that Hammock cover.
:thankyousign:

MattJ

Quote from: paulprice on June 29, 2015, 09:50:53 AM
Does nobody listen to decent groups like Bros, Bewitched, and the Saturdays anymore
Not a patch on the likes of Brother Beyond or Big Fun...  ;)
They're there for their tea.

paulprice

GroupC

Quote from: newportnobby on July 13, 2015, 10:21:17 AM
Never heard of Catherine Wheel and have no clue what a 'shoegaze classic' is but I do like that Hammock cover.
:thankyousign:

Wikipedia says this...

"Shoegazing (also known as shoegaze) is a subgenre of alternative rock that emerged from the United Kingdom in the late 1980s, pioneered by bands such as My Bloody Valentine, Lush, Slowdive, Chapterhouse, and Ride. It lasted there until the mid-1990s, with a critical pinnacle reached from 1990–91 and a new zenith achieved again from resurgence in the early 2010s. The British music press—particularly NME and Melody Maker—named this style "shoegazing" because the musicians in these bands stood still during live performances in a detached, introspective, non-confrontational state, hence the idea that they were gazing at their shoes. The heavy use of effects pedals also contributed to the image of performers looking down at their feet during concerts.

The shoegazing sound is typified by significant use of guitar effects and indistinguishable vocal melodies that blend into the creative noise of the guitars, influenced by noise pop, indie rock, garage rock, psychedelia and neo-psychedelia."

So there you have it newportnobby, you're all enlightened. Glad you like Hammock's cover. It's quite untypical for them though as they rarely have vocals (or even beats, so you have to be patient).

The always exceptional Jesus and Mary Chain have a shoegaze side, as did Medicine (on the soundtrack of "The Crow" if I remember rightly), and of course Catherine Wheel. It carries on to this day with the like of One Unique Signal and The Telescopes.

GroupC

For anyone who liked Hammock's cover above, I suggest Slowdive with Machine Gun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAPKM0RZ4as

.             .          .      .    .  . .. .......   goosebumps   ..... .... .. . .  .    .      .          .              .                    .                    .

Malc

The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

GroupC

Moving my shoegaze musical education class into something more modern, here are School of Seven Bells with "Dial":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKivNwJR3QU

RIP Ben Curtis.

Sprintex

No :P

Bit mellow for my taste but that's what makes us all individuals eh? ;)

Paul

joe cassidy

I bet that if I announced that I was listening to "song that doesn't exist" by "group that doesn't exist" no-one would bat an eyelid  :D

Best regards,

Joe

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £85.23
Below Goal: £14.77
Site Currency: GBP
85% 
April Donations