So Who's in Self Isolation?

Started by Mr Sprue, March 23, 2020, 05:53:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guest311

Quote from: Newportnobby on April 03, 2020, 08:17:00 PM
I'll be having to make a run Monday morning as I need some essentials and so will Mum. I'll be trying the 9-10am senior citizens hour and just hope they've restocked shelves after the weekend.
Payment always made by contactless card

local Tesco is now opening at 8.00 instead of 6.00, so 2 hours less time for selfish to strip the shelves before the 9-10 slot for 'mature shoppers'  :)

dannyboy

Quote from: chrism on April 03, 2020, 08:23:31 PM
hand out leaflets to the queue,

Hope you have long (2 metre), arms.  ;). Nice to know that somebody is helping though, good on you and the group.  :thumbsup:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

chrism

Quote from: dannyboy on April 03, 2020, 08:32:40 PM
Quote from: chrism on April 03, 2020, 08:23:31 PM
hand out leaflets to the queue,

Hope you have long (2 metre), arms.  ;).

" 'ere mate, take a leaflet or we'll cough"
Sorted  :D

QuoteNice to know that somebody is helping though, good on you and the group.  :thumbsup:

It's needed around here. We have a heck of a lot of "oldies", as one would expect in a small industrial town whose complete industry (a heamatite mine and an ironworks) closed 50 years ago, plus all those who moved in to retire (like I did) near the Lake District, plus, I would assume, the usual proportion of others with health issues. There's bugger all public transport, even if people did feel safe to venture out, and what there was, along with the taxis, has had to stop due to the difficulty of achieving social distancing in cars and small buses.

Accordingly we've got a little "army" of drivers, shoppers, prescription collectors and deliverers, etc. We also have some self-isolators phoning the vulnerable to check that they are all right, that they don't need anything and, in some cases, just in case they want a chat.

Besides, when it comes to delivering stuff to people it gives us a legitimate reason to play Knock Down Ginger - put the stuff on the doorstep, ring the bell and leg it  :D

lil chris

I went to a local Tesco with the wife at 8-30 this morning, 25 mins later the wife got in. Last week we both tried to go in but they were only letting single people in, they seemed to be disregarding the mature shoppers at 9.00am rule, they were letting anybody in, and at that time the wife said  lot of shelves were empty. We are also shopping for the wifes dad who is 83, he does not understand what things are like, keeps giving us lists of stuff we cant get.
Lil Chris
My new layout  East Lancashire Railway
My old layout was Irwell Valley Railway.
Layout previous was East Lancashire Lines, changed this new one. My new layout here.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=57193.0

lil chris

Hey @chrism what do you mean the cat "Besides, when it comes to delivering stuff to people it gives us a legitimate reason to play Knock Down Ginger "
Lil Chris
Layout previous was East Lancashire Lines, changed this new one. My new layout here.

chrism

Quote from: lil chris on April 03, 2020, 09:03:20 PM
giving us lists of stuff we cant get.

Out Tesco is getting back to normal now - apart from tape marking all over the place to keep people spaced apart and a one out, one in rule at the door. Not many items in short supply nor, even, on restricted quantities now.

I guess that, because a large number of the houses in the town are terraces, the panic buyers and hoarders of a couple of weeks ago have run out of space to put it all  :D

guest311

Quote from: lil chris on April 03, 2020, 09:03:20 PM
I went to a local Tesco with the wife at 8-30 this morning, 25 mins later the wife got in. Last week we both tried to go in but they were only letting single people in, they seemed to be disregarding the mature shoppers at 9.00am rule, they were letting anybody in, and at that time the wife said  lot of shelves were empty. We are also shopping for the wifes dad who is 83, he does not understand what things are like, keeps giving us lists of stuff we cant get.

typical of Tesco's, you sign away all your rights when you get married, and single people can go shopping but we can't.

I demand a public enquiry, plus compensation, preferably in packets of pasta.

chrism

Quote from: lil chris on April 03, 2020, 09:05:27 PM
Hey @chrism what do you mean the cat "Besides, when it comes to delivering stuff to people it gives us a legitimate reason to play Knock Down Ginger "

It's one name for the children's game of ringing the bell and running away. Nowt to do with moggies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knock%2C_Knock%2C_Ginger

crewearpley40

A mate was in a tesco queue for an hour. Erm Mark's Spencer's ten minutes civilised

chrism

Quote from: class37025 on April 03, 2020, 09:08:50 PM
typical of Tesco's, you sign away all your rights when you get married, and single people can go shopping but we can't.

Another advantage of being single  :D

lil chris

Ahhh @chrism we used to call it 2Knock an Run" round here. My mum used to tell me a advanced version of that game played in her time.  Two houses and they would tie string to each door knocker then knock on one, another one was a lot of houses had those thumb catches like you get on back gates nowadays, they would stick a drawing pin on with dog poo, very nasty, you prick you finger the first thing you do is suck it....very nasty in those days.
Lil Chris

daffy

We used to call it 'cherry knocking', originating from throwing handfuls of cherries or almonds (God knows  why we didn't call it 'almond knocking) from the trees that grew down our road, at folks front doors. The term just ended up meaning any form of disturbing someone by knocking on their door and running off.
It developed over time, the last method we used being to tie cotton thread to a door-knocker, under cover of darkness, string it across the road and tie it off to another knocker or a tree, and wait for a passing car to trigger the knock. On one occasion we had five door-knockers so strung before a car passed by.

Happy crazy and innocent days.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Bealman

Yeah, I'll bet the people in the house were really happy.

Mind you, up in the NE, we used to light penny bangers and drop em in letterboxes.... we weren't so innocent in the NE  :)
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Lawrence

Well I got a reply from Poland today regarding their wiring an the fact they mentioned that the Gnd & Com had to be looped in the back of the plug, so it looks like I'm back into work Monday  :( ::)

Bealman

Good luck and take care, mate.  :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations